Wiki Posts
Search

Hui Car Share (Honolulu-Area) Questions/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hui Car Share (Honolulu-Area) Questions/Experiences

Sorry if my search ability is lacking but I did not see a thread on this place yet. I am curious if people have used the app and if it works as well as it appears to? Looks easier than dealing with car rentals for those of us that just need a car for part of our trip to Oahu. Any experiences that people have to report on using the service?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I signed up but have not used it yet. It's kind of expensive.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I went by the location on the golf course in Ko Olina, there were no cars to rent/pick-up.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I signed up but have not used it yet. It's kind of expensive.
I agree but when you add in the parking factor and the fact that rental cars are much more expensive these days....it makes it pretty comparable I think.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Have been signed up for ages, availability main issue
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
I use it in Waikiki all the time when I am there and need a car for a few hours but don’t want the hassle of a “real” rental (I don’t have parking at my condo). On a per hour basis it is more expensive, but convenience is the big factor for me. I’ve been pleased with my experiences with it.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

So, I ended up renting a HUI vehicle today. I just needed a vehicle from 10am to 5pm to run around the island with. It was actually a surprisingly simple thing to do. Got the car at the Waikiki Beachcomber location and unlocked it with the app. It was strange to us an app as a key fob and start the car but got used to it. I am assuming there is some way that it downloads the key to the app and that data service is not required or it would be scary. There was an octopus style charging cable provided and that was appreciated as I did not think to bring my own cable. As mentioned, a dead phone appears that you aren't able to start the car.

I did like the ability to just turn it in without dealing with people and also no need to fuel up. I do wish I read the FAQ's a little more before renting to familiarize myself with their policies in case I screwed up anything by accident but luckily I didn't. https://www.drivehui.com/faqs/

I paid about $96 all in for my rental which seemed reasonable compared to quotes I was getting for Hertz without even considering gas etc.
kirkwoodj and boxo like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Good to know this is an option. Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mcgahat
…I ended up renting a HUI vehicle today… unlocked it with the app. It was strange to us an app as a key fob and start the car but got used to it. I am assuming there is some way that it downloads the key to the app and that data service is not required or it would be scary… I did like the ability to just turn it in without dealing with people and also no need to fuel up… I paid about $96 all in for my rental which seemed reasonable compared to quotes I was getting for Hertz without even considering gas etc.
Sounds similar to Zipcar. Is there any advantage to one or the other?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Sounds similar to Zipcar. Is there any advantage to one or the other?
I am honestly not sure. I am not that familiar alternative care rental options but I think the biggest difference is that HUI appears to own their vehicles versus the other services which are simply car shares.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Interesting. Zipcar has their own vehicles also. I've been pleased with Zipcar in Honolulu for many years, but if this new one is any better I would be happy to try it.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Interesting. A friend and I are heading to HNL this week. Her husband has Enterprise certs, which we found out aren't transferable to spouses, and the $350 cost of a 2.5 day non-airport rental was more than we were willing to pay for our last days on the island. If we hadn't found and booked $170 all in HNL rental for those days through Autoslash, we would have done Hui or Zipcar after my reading this thread. Heck, if get an itch for a drive before the end of our trip, we may well go this route. Thanks, all, for sharing.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am arriving with my wife on the evening of Friday May 20- leaving 8 days later.
Stay one night in Waikili and then 7 nights at Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina.

Right now, I have booked a car rental for the 8 days at HNL - getting the car on the evening of Fri May 20 and bringing it back on the evening of Sat May 28.

ideally I wanted to take a taxi or uber to Waikiki on Fri night. Then I do not have to worry about the time renting a car, nor about the parking fees at the hotel parking lot/garage.

I can not find any car rental companies which have cars available to rent on Sat May 21 morning ( near Waikiki/downtown Honululu).

So I wonder if a cost efficient way of doing things- renting this car from the rideshare agency on Sat May 21 from Waikiki- then perhaps give it up in Ko Olina or Kapolei on Sat evening and perhaps rent a car for 7 days from the location where I give up the car.

Your thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.