COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

This thread is superseded by: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2050531-new-covid-restrictions-city-county-honolulu-eff-8-25-2021-a.html
Print Wikipost

COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How would this be enforced?
Not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not: Geofencing.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747FC
Not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not: Geofencing.
"You have taken one step past the geofence. Step back or your phone will explode in 5 seconds..4 seconds..3 seconds..."

David
LETTERBOY and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
"You have taken one step past the geofence. Step back or your phone will explode in 5 seconds..4 seconds..3 seconds..."

David
How modern... I was quite looking forward to weekly hangings at the local gallows.
msp3 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Originally Posted by cmd320
How modern... I was quite looking forward to weekly hangings at the local gallows.
Back in the day, I recall that the Hawaii threads actual shared helpful information.
ExpatExp and DCAhome like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wouldn't be surprised if locals were not permitted to lounge on resort bubble beaches. And with so many nicer beaches around, locals really should avoid them.
Staying at some resorts without being able to go to the beach would be a kind of torture.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Aug 22, 2020 at 4:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
I wouldn't be surprised if locals were not permitted to lounge on resort bubble beaches. And with so many nicer beaches around, locals really should avoid them.

I'm surprised some beaches were/are closed off to locals by resort properties. Only recently did Waikoloa Land Company, the land owner of the Waikoloa Beach Resort, open up A-Bay to the public. The company that runs the Mauna Lani resort complex (on which the Auberge property of the same name sits) still has the beach park there closed off to anyone. So even if Hawaiians have rights to access the water for fishing or cultural practices, the resorts have managed to restrict it.
Holoholokai Beach Park was open to vehicles today and the parking lot at KALĀHUIPUA'A HISTORICAL PARK has been open for a few months
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

I'm surprised some beaches were/are closed off to locals by resort properties. Only recently did Waikoloa Land Company, the land owner of the Waikoloa Beach Resort, open up A-Bay to the public. The company that runs the Mauna Lani resort complex (on which the Auberge property of the same name sits) still has the beach park there closed off to anyone. So even if Hawaiians have rights to access the water for fishing or cultural practices, the resorts have managed to restrict it.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Thats somewhat location dependent. Many of us between Kaanapali and Kapalua frequent the same beaches that are fronted by the resorts, such as Kaanapali, Napili, Kapalua, and Fleming. Especially now, as they are empty other than locals. I like my long walks from the house to Kaanapali for example, good exercise.

That said, I have my doubts that hotel demand will be high enough to justify participating in the bubble.
LETTERBOY and msp3 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
My husband and I would have no problems just vegging at the GW in March. However, since we are bring our grandkids and their parents, who are very active, and will want to go here, there and everywhere, I think it would be a real dilemma.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
I didn't know the hotel was open at the moment?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 23, 2020 at 5:39 am Reason: removed quote
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tattikat2
I didn't know the hotel was open at the moment?
It isn't; it's closed indefinitely although they're accepting reservations after 10/1.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Staying at some resorts without being able to go to the beach would be a kind of torture.
Plan to head to the Mauna Kea beach tomorrow, I was told access was unfettered fwiw. I'll check out Hapuna Beach on my way up north as well and report back later.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 27, 2020 at 1:51 pm Reason: repair broken quote
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
County Mayors Call for a Tourism Pause

I am not sure why the local county mayors think they do not have the authority to slow tourism, they can certainly implement capacity controls on hotels and put a stop to STRs, although this is something else the Governor's somewhat dingbat way of thinking seems to have introduced, and he should be the one taking action.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-ma...113100066.html
"Revenge vacation" season is now moving full speed ahead, and while many travelers are racing to book a trip after a year of being stuck at home, the mayor of one tropical island is asking airlines to slow down: Maui, Hawaii.

"I have been talking with different airlines and … we're asking for just a pause, if you want to use that term," Maui County mayor Michael Victorino said during a press conference on June 29. "We don't have the authority to say stop, but we're asking the powers to be to help us."
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Seems a dumb move to me. Seems like the incessant need to blame tourists for everything. Are there a huge number of people flying over with no hotel or car reservations? That should be a limiting factor there. I am not aware the airlines have increased capacity above pre-Covid.
nnn, denver19 and msp3 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Seems a dumb move to me. Seems like the incessant need to blame tourists for everything. Are there a huge number of people flying over with no hotel or car reservations? That should be a limiting factor there. I am not aware the airlines have increased capacity above pre-Covid.
There are too many people for the hotels and restaurants to absorb with their current staffing levels - yes, the hotels should be limiting room bookings to match their staffing, so the blame is not just with the tourists, but there needs to be a scale back until these facilities can handle things better. It creates a bad experience for both tourists and locals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.