COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

This thread is superseded by: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2050531-new-covid-restrictions-city-county-honolulu-eff-8-25-2021-a.html
Print Wikipost

COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nnn
Curious what two properties you are comparing to say the rates are about the same.
I meant covid rates per 100K, Oahu is over 20 per 100K, while most counties in California other than the hardest hit in Central and Imperial valley are below that and trending downwards. Big Island and Kauai are less, but with relatively small populations.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html
nnn and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How would this be enforced? Would the resort install an electric fence like some people do for dogs, would there be electrified barbed wire like some cattle ranchers use, or would it be a GPS leg band like law enforcement uses?
I cracked up pretty hard at my desk when I read this.

Picturing a drunken tourist couple staggering in the wrong direction and getting a sudden jolt as they cross the hotel's 'border'.

It's remarkable that HI is finally attempting to do something to save it's primary industry, I'm just not sure this is the right call. If it were somewhere like the DR with a bunch of all-inclusives where people primarily stay on property their entire stay it would make sense but the majority of those going to Hawaii are going there to see/do other things as well. For the majority of tourists, it's a bit far to go for a long weekend in a resort (of course I'm not saying I wouldn't do that).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:43 pm

I go to Hawaii instead of Mexico and other more affordable destinations, because I can go off property and enjoy the people and the locale and not feel prisoner to my hotel/resort. This may work for some, but I wouldn’t do it.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can think of few things worse than being confined to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu. They’d have to pay me.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I canceled our October stay at Andaz Maui earlier this week, but I would have potentially considered still traveling if this had been announced. While being locked in the resort isn't ideal, for a brief 4-5 day trip, I could keep plenty busy at the spa, pool, beach, etc. with a good book and a good drink menu. I wouldn't want to be stuck doing dining at only resort property though...even at Andaz.

Similarly, if I was planning a long 30-45 day stay on island, I would go for this. Heck, I barely have been out of my house in CA in the past two weeks, so being stuck on the resort grounds of a nice place in Hawaii before being free to roam the island for 15-30 days thereafter would not be so bad.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How would this be enforced?
You have to watch to the end of the clip ...

Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
So there is another motive for this policy?
Read between the lines and you'll soon realize the real reason behind the hysteria is to install low quality Caribbean/Mexico style all-inclusive places where you can practice apartheid while trapping any sucker stupid enough to fall for it on property and fleece them for inflated F&B, equipment rentals, etc. At the same time, the properties are owned by people offshore, where all the profits are also exported to so they can avoid giving local businesses any economic benefit (unless they pay our corrupt politicians the price of admission into the "bubble"). Aren't police states fun?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:11 pm

escapefromphil:

“No way. We have 10 days booked in December on Kohala coast. While we occasionally do a "resort day", a large part of the attraction of Hawaii is all the outdoor activity, hiking, exploring, snorkeling, paddling etc. So we would still cancel if this is a restriction. I can see that if you had small kids it might be OK for a few days. For those that were considering doing quarantine anyway maybe this isn't too bad an option, but this is not going to help the tourism situation very much.”

What he said. 2nd that.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Klxp2016; Aug 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
No way. We have 10 days booked in December on Kohala coast. While we occasionally do a "resort day", a large part of the attraction of Hawaii is all the outdoor activity, hiking, exploring, snorkeling, paddling etc. So we would still cancel if this is a restriction. I can see that if you had small kids it might be OK for a few days. For those that were considering doing quarantine anyway maybe this isn't too bad an option, but this is not going to help the tourism situation very much.
Very understandable.

My oldest is 14 and our next trip to Hawaii will be her 23rd or 24th visit. For us, we don't have to do something while on vacation. We'll bring along 3 or 4 other families and stay in a 3 bedroom villa (w full kitchen, dining room for 8, laundry, etc) and a 2 bedroom villa. I guess we'll have groceries delivered (or friend drop them off) and cook/bbq for some of the meals. Aulani has a beach, snorkeling and paddling boarding Getting away from our daily routine/home, spending time with friends and doing nothing is very satisfying. Spending a week+/- exclusively at Aulani is not ideal but do you have any suggestions or better alternatives?

We have visited Disneyworld, stayed on site, and not go into the theme parks.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I can think of few things worse than being confined to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu. They’d have to pay me.
Lol there are other places...

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I canceled our October stay at Andaz Maui earlier this week, but I would have potentially considered still traveling if this had been announced. While being locked in the resort isn't ideal, for a brief 4-5 day trip, I could keep plenty busy at the spa, pool, beach, etc. with a good book and a good drink menu. I wouldn't want to be stuck doing dining at only resort property though...even at Andaz...
Yeah, Andaz is so lovely. We eat once at Morimoto’s when staying at the Grand Wailea. I’d be happy at either place for a full OGG trip. Then I wouldn’t need to worry about a car. Even Black Rock Sheraton could be nice.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I cant imagine staying confined for 14 days straight at any one property. I will save my money and vacation time for better times.
msp3 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
No, there wouldn't be an electric fence, but there would be a geofence that would alert the resort staff and law enforfement if someone left the perimeter. It sounds like they'd issue tracking wrist bands similar to what's available on cruise lines, which would track your movement on resort grounds while also serving as a payment method when something is consumed. Apparently it would also log interactions with others so if you became ill, the work of contact tracing was done.

As far as staff, they would live on-site for 5-6 day long shifts before being allowed to leave property. Locals want their jobs back, but I don't know if they'd want to leave their families behind a week at a time to work in a bubble.

The Four Seasons at Hualalai told me they would not consider being in a resort bubble this year.

But if spread continues and there's no widespread vaccine or treatment option in the immediate future, I imagine resorts will get creative with options to avoid foreclosure.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What about the beach and beach path in front of the resorts, will they also be cordoned off from the ones next to you? What if you swam from one to another? (the horror!)
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and msp3 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
There was a rumor floating around a few weeks ago that these “resort bubbles” would include the beach. It was suggested that locals would not be allowed to use any of those beaches that were part of the bubble.

Thankfully that was just a rumor and was clarified by the news as incorrect, but this is Hawaii and nothing would surprise me.
msp3 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
There was a rumor floating around a few weeks ago that these “resort bubbles” would include the beach. It was suggested that locals would not be allowed to use any of those beaches that were part of the bubble.

Thankfully that was just a rumor and was clarified by the news as incorrect, but this is Hawaii and nothing would surprise me.
I wouldn't be surprised if locals were not permitted to lounge on resort bubble beaches. And with so many nicer beaches around, locals really should avoid them.

I'm surprised some beaches were/are closed off to locals by resort properties. Only recently did Waikoloa Land Company, the land owner of the Waikoloa Beach Resort, open up A-Bay to the public. The company that runs the Mauna Lani resort complex (on which the Auberge property of the same name sits) still has the beach park there closed off to anyone. So even if Hawaiians have rights to access the water for fishing or cultural practices, the resorts have managed to restrict it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.