Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii - added COVID requirements for Canadian travelers over Mainland USA travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii - added COVID requirements for Canadian travelers over Mainland USA travelers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Unless the "someone" is Governor Ige, I'll stick with the language on the state's official website. For all I know, the language you believe someone else believes they saw was once there. But, it is not now. Nonetheless, you raise a good point. Anyone contemplating travel ought to look at the official website of the destination and then do it again before they travel.

"Beginning October 15, passengers who successfully complete a pre-travel test will not be subject to the state’s 14-day quarantine program. Currently approved is the processing by laboratories that are licensed or certified by Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments (CLIA) of specimens for nucleic acid amplification testing approved or authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration, pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization or other authorization for COVID-19 testing."
That would make sense, and that's what I was relying on, but in practical terms, the State appears to be adding an extra layer, whereby they approve test providers ("trusted partners" or whatever) on a one-by-one basis. First it was CVS and Kaiser Permanente, now Wal-Mart and the various companies that are working with individual airlines.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
That would make sense, and that's what I was relying on, but in practical terms, the State appears to be adding an extra layer, whereby they approve test providers ("trusted partners" or whatever) on a one-by-one basis. First it was CVS and Kaiser Permanente, now Wal-Mart and the various companies that are working with individual airlines.
To supplement - the test performed has a limited validity, which is specifically left out from the State's official word.

You can do mail-in FWIW. But be prepare that can be rejected and you can face 14 days in quarantine.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Hawaii - added covid requirements for Canadian travelers over Mainland USA travelers

Has any Canadian on this forum gone to Hawaii since the start of the pandemic?
What covid restrictions and quarantine restrictions have you faced?

But I am looking forward to my planned trip to Maui in first week of Oct.

Hawaii is still not allowing Canadians to come in on par with mainland Americans in terms of quarantine testing or quarantine requirements?

I need a PCR OR rapid antigen to enter USA from Canada right now.
We are fully vaccinated with Pfizer vaccines.

Would we be allowed to enter Hawaii with either covid test, or only a PCR test? And without quarantine?
Would we be exempt from quarantine on arrival?

On the last day, we will leave OGG to YVR (and on to YOW) by transiting same day in HNL?

Do we need an proof of a negative covid test between island?
Even if we do so require such test, we can do a 2 in 1 testing - the PCR test perhaps a couple of days before going to Canada via HNL - valid for Canada and also valid for inter-island travel, if required?

I know each island is different - the island of Hawaii is strictest for inter-island travel -it will standard its requirements with the other islands on Oct 21.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Has any Canadian on this forum gone to Hawaii since the start of the pandemic?
What covid restrictions and quarantine restrictions have you faced?

But I am looking forward to my planned trip to Maui in first week of Oct.

Hawaii is still not allowing Canadians to come in on par with mainland Americans in terms of quarantine testing or quarantine requirements?

I need a PCR OR rapid antigen to enter USA from Canada right now.
We are fully vaccinated with Pfizer vaccines.

Would we be allowed to enter Hawaii with either covid test, or only a PCR test? And without quarantine?
Would we be exempt from quarantine on arrival?

On the last day, we will leave OGG to YVR (and on to YOW) by transiting same day in HNL?

Do we need an proof of a negative covid test between island?
Even if we do so require such test, we can do a 2 in 1 testing - the PCR test perhaps a couple of days before going to Canada via HNL - valid for Canada and also valid for inter-island travel, if required?

I know each island is different - the island of Hawaii is strictest for inter-island travel -it will standard its requirements with the other islands on Oct 21.
I have flown in and out of Hawaii a dozen times since last year as a Canadian. There is no inter-island testing requirement any longer so no problem there. All the info you need is here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/.

As for entering Hawaii, if you were vaccinated in the US, you can enter Hawaii with no test. If you were vaccinated in Canada or elsewhere, you must have a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours prior to the departure time of your flight into Hawaii. The test MUST be taken at one of their approved partners. The list here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/. As long as you are US vaccinated or have the approved PCR test, there is no quarantine. Don’t even think of going without one or the other; you will have to quarantine for 10 days and they are very strict about it (in approved hotels only, one time use key card, no car rental etc).

So that means you can either get a (very expensive) PCR test in Canada either through AC https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...#/covidTesting or WS https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/prepare/covid/testing if you are flying direct from Canada, or get tested in the US if connecting there. Both are acceptable but again, must be from a trusted partner from the link I posted.

Prior to being vaxxed, I would always connect through the US (I still do anyway as I hate WS and AC, but I digress) and get tested there. You only need a cheaper antigen test to enter the US (I use the BinaxNow home test with video proctoring but any cheap antigen test will do) and then you can get a free or cheap rapid PCR at your stopover in the US. Many are free and super fast (Walgreens Red Dot IDNow), others are cheap (City Health is $20), still others more expensive but cheaper than Canada (i.e. Clarity at LAX is $125, results in 3-5 hours). In the past, I have tested at Carbon in both SEA, PDX (results in less than an hour) and at Clarity in LAX. I no longer need to test as I was vaxxed in the US. Most US airlines now do pre clearance where they check your test/vaccine card at the departure airport and give you a wristband. You just walk off the plane with no further checks. Without the wristband, you are cleared on arrival which can take 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on when you land, Maui is one of the worst so definitely get the wristband if you can.

You must register at SafeTravels. https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/ They call it an app but it is just a website. Enter your trip details now and upload your vaccine card if you were vaxxed in the US. If not, when you get your test results, upload them in SafeTravels as a .pdf as soon as you receive them. Then, 24 hours prior to your flight, you fill out the Health Questionnaire and you will receive a QR code by email. This QR code is what they use to screen you either by the airline for the wristband or on arrival as I described above.

To return home to Canada, you need a PCR test, again taken within 72 hours of departure of your flight into Canada. The Walgreens on Maui does the Red Dot (IDNow) test with results in an hour and it is free. I use the (free) Walgreens regular PCR (purple dot) test in HNL and I always get my results back in 26-36 hours. Do NOT get the light blue dot test, it is antigen and not accepted for entry to Canada. There are also lots of paid testing options on Maui. As I said above, there is no longer any testing for inter island travel so you just need the PCR test to get back to Canada.

Hawaii does still have an indoor mask mandate and the locals are not as welcoming as usual these days because of the huge influx of tourists who are not the usual international mix. The islands are packed full right now and there are a lot of poorly behaved, disrespectful tourists and the locals are fed up with the crowds, people parking wherever they want, not respecting the rules or the aina, and just generally behaving badly. So just be mindful of that. Lines are long for everything so hopefully you have made dinner and activity reservations already. If not, do so now. We have seen a pretty big spike in cases lately so it is very possible the governor will bring back some restrictions. https://www.kitv.com/story/44369545/...r-another-week

It sounds onerous but it is really quite easy and painless. Just follow the steps and you will be fine, Let me know if I can help.
EmailKid likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 25, 2021 at 11:15 am
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have flown in and out of Hawaii a dozen times since last year as a Canadian. There is no inter-island testing requirement any longer so no problem there. All the info you need is here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/.

As for entering Hawaii, if you were vaccinated in the US, you can enter Hawaii with no test. If you were vaccinated in Canada or elsewhere, you must have a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours prior to the departure time of your flight into Hawaii. The test MUST be taken at one of their approved partners. The list here https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/. As long as you are US vaccinated or have the approved PCR test, there is no quarantine. Don’t even think of going without one of the other; you will have to quarantine for 10 days and they are very strict about it (in approved hotels only, one time use key card, no car rental etc).

So that means you can either get a (very expensive) PCR test in Canada either through AC https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...#/covidTesting or WS https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/prepare/covid/testing if you are flying direct from Canada, or get tested in the US if connecting there. Both are acceptable but again, must be from a trusted partner from the link I posted.

Prior to being vaxxed, I would always connect through the US (I still do anyway as I hate WS and AC, but I digress) and get tested there. You only need a cheaper antigen test to enter the US (I use the BinaxNow home test with video proctoring but any cheap antigen test will do) and then you can get a free or cheap rapid PCR at your stopover in the US. Many are free and super fast (Walgreens Red Dot IDNow), others are cheap (City Health is $20), still others more expensive but cheaper than Canada (i.e. Clarity at LAX is $125, results in 3-5 hours). I have tested at Carbon in both SEA, PDX (results in less than an hour) and at Clarity in LAX. Most US airlines now do pre clearance where they check your test/vaccine card at the departure airport and give you a wristband. You just walk off the plane with no further checks. Without the wristband, you are cleared on arrival which can take 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on when you land, Maui is one of the worst so get the wristband.

You must register at SafeTravels. https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/ They call it an app but it is just a website. Enter your trip details now and upload your vaccine card if you were vaxxed in the US. If not, when you get your test results, upload them in SafeTravels as a .pdf. 24 hours prior to your flight, you fill out the Health Questionnaire and you will receive a QR code by email. This QR code is what they use to screen you either by the airline for the wristband or on arrival as I described above.

To return home to Canada, you need a PCR test, again taken within 72 hours of departure of your flight into Canada. The Walgreens on Maui does the Red Dot (IDNow) test with results in an hour and it is free. I use the (free) Walgreens regular PCR (purple dot) test in HNL and I always get my results back in 26-36 hours. As I said above, there is no longer any testing for inter island travel so you just need the PCR test to get back to Canada.

Hawaii does still have an indoor mask mandate and the locals are not as welcoming as usual these days because of the huge influx of tourists who are not the usual international mix. The islands are packed full right now and are a lot of poorly behaved, disrespectful tourists who are fed up with the crowds, people parking wherever they want, not respecting the rules or the aina, and just generally behaving badly. So just be mindful of that. Lines are long for everything so hopefully you have made dinner and activity reservations already. If not, do so now.

It sounds onerous but it is really quite easy and painless. Just follow the steps and you will be fine, Let me know if I can help.
Thank you, for the information.

We will go with AC via YVR. (Does YVR do a rapid antigen or even PCR test with a very quick :1-2 hr turnaround).

I would hope that Hawaii sooner or later levels the playing field between mainland American and Canadian arrivals and removes pcr testing for Canadians (then we can just use the rapid antigen to enter USA).
I can argue right now with higher covid rates in most US states (including Hawaii) than most Canadian provinces or terrritories - it would make more sense to require Americans to go through PCR test rather than Canadians!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Thank you, for the information.

We will go with AC via YVR. (Does YVR do a rapid antigen or even PCR test with a very quick :1-2 hr turnaround).

I would hope that Hawaii sooner or later levels the playing field between mainland American and Canadian arrivals and removes pcr testing for Canadians (then we can just use the rapid antigen to enter USA).
I can argue right now with higher covid rates in most US states (including Hawaii) than most Canadian provinces or terrritories - it would make more sense to require Americans to go through PCR test rather than Canadians!
Your only option in YVR for Hawaii are on the page I linked https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...#/covidTesting. See the screenshot below.

As I said in my last paragraph, the spike in cases that Hawaii is seeing now is unsustainable given the very limited health care resources in the islands. They can’t afford to take any chances of the health care system being overwhelmed, which is why they are so strict on testing and entry requirements. Hawaii saw between 30-80 cases per day until recently. Far less than any Canadian province.

https://www.kitv.com/story/44369545/...KdpFbCb7qw2LrM

Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As for entering Hawaii, if you were vaccinated in the US, you can enter Hawaii with no test.
I was vaccinated in the US (Canadian citizen living in the US). To clarify, does that mean I can fly YVR-HNL without a PCR test? I assume I'd still need an antigen test to enter the US though?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:59 pm

T]he spike in cases that Hawaii is seeing now is unsustainable given the very limited health care resources in the islands. They can’t afford to take any chances of the health care system being overwhelmed, which is why they are so strict on testing and entry requirements. Hawaii saw between 30-80 cases per day until recently. Far less than any Canadian province.

I agree with you. My point - with covid cases going up in all US States - if Hawaii was strict, it would ask all American travellers - vaccinated or not- to do a PCR test - no differently than the Canadian government requires a PCR test 72 hr before boarding, and another test (is it a PCR test or a simple antigen test) on arrival for travellers returning from USA or abroad.With covid numbers greater per capita in most US states compared to most Canadian provinces, they have more to worry about from Americans coming into Hawaii than Canadians coming into Hawaii - but they are more lax on their fellow Americans.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 26, 2021 at 5:02 am Reason: quote shortened
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Has the Delta variant arrived in Canada? If not, be thankful, and be aware, if it arrives there the trend will turn the other way, and pretty quickly. Canada being fully locked down to outside visitors might be a blessing in disguise.

Hawaii doesn't change their path with consistency, logic or commonsense, so saying Canadians are more desirable visitors based on case count doesn't matter much in Hawaii.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
I was vaccinated in the US (Canadian citizen living in the US). To clarify, does that mean I can fly YVR-HNL without a PCR test? I assume I'd still need an antigen test to enter the US though?
Correct. I am Canadian and was vaxxed in the US. I do not need to test to enter Hawaii (only an antigen to enter the US). I am hoping that doesn’t change anytime soon though. With the surge in cases in Hawaii, the governor is threatening changes. I am hoping that doesn’t mean going back to testing for everyone.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Correct. I am Canadian and was vaxxed in the US. I do not need to test to enter Hawaii (only an antigen to enter the US). I am hoping that doesn’t change anytime soon though. With the surge in cases in Hawaii, the governor is threatening changes. I am hoping that doesn’t mean going back to testing for everyone.
Did you get a wristband at YVR so you could clear testing requirements when leaving the airport in HNL? I haven't seen reports on this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
Did you get a wristband at YVR so you could clear testing requirements when leaving the airport in HNL? I haven't seen reports on this.
I fly AS via the US so the wristband is issued at my US connection city. Not all airlines participate in the wristband preclearance and not from all cities. Until recently, DL and AA only used them on certain routes but I understand they have expanded now. If you are connecting via the US and flying an airline that participates, you will get the wristband at your last connection point.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Maui - best COVID-19 testing company/ies for Canadians?

What have other Canadians done in Maui for the RETURN TO CANADA test?

Choices: (from Air Canada Website):
Ichor Blood ServicesExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
ADLExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
FulgentExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
Empower Clinics/Kai CareExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit

Facts to consider:
- We are staying in Wailea.
- do not want to use UPS as a courier to return the test; will consider dropping off kit at courier location in Kahului, etc.
- leaving Maui on a Tuesday night - thus Saturday night test at the 72 hour mark is the earliest we can do

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by patty canuck
What have other Canadians done in Maui for the RETURN TO CANADA test?

Choices: (from Air Canada Website):
Ichor Blood ServicesExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
ADLExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
FulgentExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit
Empower Clinics/Kai CareExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Offers at-home test kit

Facts to consider:
- We are staying in Wailea.
- do not want to use UPS as a courier to return the test; will consider dropping off kit at courier location in Kahului, etc.
- leaving Maui on a Tuesday night - thus Saturday night test at the 72 hour mark is the earliest we can do

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
My situation was the same: in Wailea, Tuesday night flight. I went to the Doctors On Call urgent care center located at the Shops at Wailea on Monday (yesterday). They offer a walk-up, without appointment NAAT test with results in 15 minutes. The entire process only took 25 minutes of my time. I searched a bit for other options but couldn't find anything better.

It's priced a bit high though at $205.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Originally Posted by After Burner
My situation was the same: in Wailea, Tuesday night flight. I went to the Doctors On Call urgent care center located at the Shops at Wailea on Monday (yesterday). They offer a walk-up, without appointment NAAT test with results in 15 minutes. The entire process only took 25 minutes of my time. I searched a bit for other options but couldn't find anything better.

It's priced a bit high though at $205.
Thanks AB, looks like a god option - a few of the other NAAT tests are pricier around the US, but few options as you stated otherwise in Maui - it really makes the NAAT the only option in the Islands with the lack of delivery by couriers over the weekends for a Tuesday departure (Saturday/Sunday courier) on PCR tests.

After posting this initially, I called the hotel and asked what their experiences were with Canadian guests (Kea Lani) as I know a large portion of their load is Canadian ... and they had no clue what I was talking about, because no Canadians were asking their concierge ...

I see you are off tonight - let us know how you get on with Customs and the NAAT test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.