Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
RIP

Trusted Testing and Travel Partner(link is external) prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 5-day quarantine.

Additionally, any passengers on any commercial flight from the mainland [US], who are over the age of 18, who download the CLEAR app clearme.com/hawaii and correctly follow the directions can use Health Pass. CLEAR touts Health Pass as a “free, mobile experience by CLEAR, which securely connects a person’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19 related insights, including proof of vaccination, to reduce public health risk.”

Here’s how it works: Travelers will add their negative COVID-19 test result or vaccine verification to the free CLEAR mobile app clearme.com/hawaii to generate a Health Pass. Then they can apply for a quarantine exception on the Hawaii Safe Travels website by linking their CLEAR Health Pass. The secure process may be done over a smartphone.

Employees of airlines participating in pre-clearance programs will scan a passenger’s HI QR code prior to the flight to Hawaii to ensure that all entry requirements are satisfied. Depending on the airline, travelers might receive a wristband to help expedite arrival procedures in Hawaii. If a particular airline does not provide pre- clearance service prior to departure, travelers will be screened upon arrival in Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/10/hawaii-news/hawaii-streamlines-travel-entry-with-clear-health-pass/?HSA=49ce592a363d295324577e0c19496e69b02ab967

Link to Safe Travels Hawaii Website (Mandatory State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form) - https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Beginning July 8, 2021, individuals fully vaccinated in the United States or its Territories may enter Hawaii on domestic flights without pre-travel testing/quarantine starting the 15th day after the completion of their vaccination. All other travelers must have their negative test results from a
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
We are flying from PHX to Hawaii July 12. Is there any reason not to go ahead and register for the Safe Travels program now? Or wait until after July 8? Somewhere I read you should do it 24 hours in advance but that might have been old information. I guess if your flights are changed you can go into the account and edit.
You can do it now and upload your vaccine card. You still need to go through and do a health questionnaire at 24 hours prior to departure though.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
We are flying from PHX to Hawaii July 12. Is there any reason not to go ahead and register for the Safe Travels program now? Or wait until after July 8? Somewhere I read you should do it 24 hours in advance but that might have been old information. I guess if your flights are changed you can go into the account and edit.
I created our accounts about 2 weeks in front of our first trip, to make sure I understood everything that was needed. After learning a bunch on the first trip, I entered our second our second trip about 10 days out. Our third trip is October 2....if we have to use Hawaii Safe Travels, 10 days out is plenty early to start.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
The Safe Travels program director had a press conference at HNL today and confirmed to a reporter that they have no way to officially verify out of state vaccines and they will essentially be taken at face value. She said that screening will now be “quicker” with vaccine cards but it sounds like in reality it will be worse as it appears all out of state cards will have to be verified upon arrival and won’t be able to be pre-verified/cleared for a wristband before departure. She did note however that after using your card for travel, it will be verified and good for future travel to Hawaii.

LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The Safe Travels program director had a press conference at HNL today and confirmed to a reporter that they have no way to officially verify out of state vaccines and they will essentially be taken at face value. She said that screening will now be “quicker” with vaccine cards but it sounds like in reality it will be worse as it appears all out of state cards will have to be verified upon arrival and won’t be able to be pre-verified/cleared for a wristband before departure. She did note however that after using your card for travel, it will be verified and good for future travel to Hawaii.

https://youtu.be/4kWtuqBZAU8
I may have missed it, but I didn’t hear anything specific about wristbands in that press conference. Given how minimal it sounds like the card check will be (check dates of shots and confirm it matches ID), I don’t see any reason it couldn’t still be done as a pre-screen. But I guess we’ll find out soon!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I may have missed it, but I didn’t hear anything specific about wristbands in that press conference. Given how minimal it sounds like the card check will be (check dates of shots and confirm it matches ID), I don’t see any reason it couldn’t still be done as a pre-screen. But I guess we’ll find out soon!
Agree, and hoping that you are correct. Or that it's not required by early October for our next trip.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: Platinum
Hope to hear from the brave FlyerTalkers flying to Hawaii tomorrow about their experiences. Hope the preclearance will work for the vaccine card. If not, it’s a quick trip to Walgreens for the Rapid test before my Sunday flight!
ESpen36 and mtofell like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I’m in another Hawaii FB group and have heard from people that have messaged both Alaska and Hawaiian Air respectively both respond that wristbands won’t be available if your vaccine requires manual verification (which all out of state vaccines being used for the first time will require)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Just uploaded my vaccination card for a trip SFO-HNL 7/11. After filling in the data and uploaded my card, it said bring your original card to airport for verification. I hope I could have a chance to review the entries (such as the date and the lot number of the vaccine.) but there is no way to do that. There is also no indication that the vaccine card has been uploaded under the Trip Details. However, there is a X and "Screened: No" box.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Jul 7, 2021 at 10:11 pm
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:05 am
pxm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’m in another Hawaii FB group and have heard from people that have messaged both Alaska and Hawaiian Air respectively both respond that wristbands won’t be available if your vaccine requires manual verification (which all out of state vaccines being used for the first time will require)
If that is the case, it is going to be a BIG mess when people arrive in Hawai'i. In mid June, when I arrived in HNL, the queues were easily 45 minutes to check people for COVID-19 tests (for arrivals who did not have the bracelets). I suspect that people are going to be looking at queues of at least an hour.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Just uploaded my vaccination card for a trip SFO-HNL 7/11. After filling in the data and uploaded my card, it said bring your original card to airport for verification. I hope I could have a chance to review the entries (such as the date and the lot number of the vaccine.) but there is no way to do that. There is also no indication that the vaccine card has been uploaded under the Trip Details. However, there is a X and "Screened: No" box.
The "Screened No" goes away when your account is reviewed by a human at either your departing or destination airport.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by pxm
If that is the case, it is going to be a BIG mess when people arrive in Hawai'i. In mid June, when I arrived in HNL, the queues were easily 45 minutes to check people for COVID-19 tests (for arrivals who did not have the bracelets). I suspect that people are going to be looking at queues of at least an hour.
I’m hopeful those were just un-informed agents but it wouldn’t surprise me as I’ve heard some airline employees won’t touch anything/give you a wristband if anything wasn’t pre-verified by the Safe Travels system. We will find out in a few hours I guess.

EDIT: Reports out of the FB group are showing people have gotten wristbands today using solely the vaccine card on WN. Glad to hear as they have been the most strict on finding any reason not to hand out wristbands.
ESpen36, Calcifer and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Jul 8, 2021 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I had a problem this morning inputting information in the Hawaii Safe Travels website. I got all the way through and uploaded my vaccine card and it showed me a message that it would be confirmed at the airport. However, when I went to my profile, none of my trip information nor identification is there but my vaccine card is in the system. Does the website take some time to verify it before it would be in my profile? Or, maybe I did something wrong and it didn't save properly?? Also, the site only asked for one flight and not any information about my connection to my final destination--is that normal? Thanks! (Not leaving until 7/12 so I have some time.) FYI--I cleared my cookies and no change.

Last edited by Bohemiana; Jul 8, 2021 at 11:10 am Reason: corrections
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:36 am

I first heard this posted in the FB Group I’m in but apparently starting tomorrow, the Clear Health Pass (which can now be used on all Hawaii flights) should be updated to allow you to digitally upload your vaccine records to the Clear Hawaii Health Pass which you link with your Hawaii Safe Travels account under the exemptions tab and it will automatically give you the green check mark under exempt (just have to have your QR code scanned to get a wristband).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
This is amazing news!

I wonder if they will accept digital vaccine records from CLEAR or NYS digital pass. I'd prefer not to rely on a my paper vaccine card. It can easily get lost or damaged.
Hawaiian and United were having their passengers use CommonPass for testing so you should be able to use it for vaccines also, CommonPass announced a few weeks ago they'd be able to be used with vaccines from Walmart and the state of california.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyy53
Hawaiian and United were having their passengers use CommonPass for testing so you should be able to use it for vaccines also, CommonPass announced a few weeks ago they'd be able to be used with vaccines from Walmart and the state of california.
Clear will also have their Health Pass updated tomorrow to work with Hawaii and is available to use on all airlines.
ESpen36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.