Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2021 Onwards - Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - Questions & Observations" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Onwards - Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - Questions & Observations" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
Was that in F? Did it have lie-flat seats? We did that (DEN-LIH) and now my wife prefers any route with lie-flat seats! If it was in coach, then I could understand objecting to the length of the flight.

What was the timing and where did you do it? We've done that multiple times and would do it again.
No, this was in Economy Plus on a 772.

My absolute last choice would be the one you seem to prefer: a red-eye from Hawaii with a short layover to a cross-country flight. That would "wreck" me. What is it about that option that is appealing to you? I'm genuinely curious.
Honestly, no option is appealing to me. Since I can’t sleep on a flight, I would not be able to actually sleep if we stayed in SFO for the night after that KOA-SFO leg, so I’d just be even more tired by the time of departure for PHL. So, I just prefer getting it over with. My wife can sleep on a plane, so it’s not as bad for her. To add to this, we also want to get back home earlier in the day to recover.

When is your trip? You just said "next year", so I looked at flights on a random date in May. Given the options I'm seeing, I'd pick the 1:15-9:17 pm UA flight to SFO. It would be nice if it was a couple hours earlier, but I wouldn't call that "leaving mid-afternoon" or "arriving late at night". I'd go with SFO because staying at the airport Hyatt is so convenient. The next morning the only nonstops are in the 9:00 hour on UA and AA. If that's too early, there are some options with connections that leave between 11:00 and 1:00; you'd get a few more hours of sleep at the cost of arriving late into Philly.
Late June through early July, with the first week in Maui. As of right now, there’s only a single wide body flight from KOA, a 772 to DEN. But that one arrives late afternoon, and I’m fairly certain that it doesn’t have lie flats.

I know my preference isn’t common, but I’m unwilling to extend actual travel time given how much I’m already spending both in the airport and in the air. My time is worth more than that, even if I’m tired.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by NTP66
No, this was in Economy Plus on a 772.

Honestly, no option is appealing to me. Since I can’t sleep on a flight, I would not be able to actually sleep if we stayed in SFO for the night after that KOA-SFO leg, so I’d just be even more tired by the time of departure for PHL. So, I just prefer getting it over with. My wife can sleep on a plane, so it’s not as bad for her. To add to this, we also want to get back home earlier in the day to recover.

Late June through early July, with the first week in Maui. As of right now, there’s only a single wide body flight from KOA, a 772 to DEN. But that one arrives late afternoon, and I’m fairly certain that it doesn’t have lie flats.

I know my preference isn’t common, but I’m unwilling to extend actual travel time given how much I’m already spending both in the airport and in the air. My time is worth more than that, even if I’m tired.
All UA 777HD’s have lie flats. While some complain of the configuration I’m not one of them. Flown this configuration dozens of times.

I don’t sleep well even in first just like you. But the long flight to DEN wrecks me the least. I’m a literal train wreck when I do the connection in LAX or SFO for eastbound. The flights tend to arrive early enough nothing is open. By the time I get home I crash so hard a tornado could hit my house and I wouldn’t know.😄
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:20 am

I just asked my wife if she'd consider one of these routes, and based on the look she just gave me, I should not ask again, haha. Ah well.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you aren't opposed to red eyes, and want to get home early the next day, what about flying to HNL and taking AA HNL-DFW, then connecting onward to PHL. Or HNL-ATL on DL. Or any of the UA HNL-middle of the country/east coast flights? Lie flats for the overnight flight, shorter time in domestic first for the onward flight to PHL and you'd probably get home earlier.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
So you also can't sleep in an airport hotel? IME the SFO Grand Hyatt is awfully convenient and a few hours in a bed makes the next flight a lot less painful. Another option, with yet another aircraft type, would be AS through SEA. That would be a recliner on a 737, with a bit better seat pitch than UA or AA, and SEA also has walkable hotel options.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:51 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Figuring out next year's flights, and I have the option of either flying on a UA 757-300 in First to SFO or an AA A321neo in First from Kona to LAX.

I'm usually on A321neos for my flights to Hawaii, but haven't been on a 757 in decades. I'm thinking that the more comfortable flight is going to be on that newer A321neo, right? Or am I making a poor assumption? Keep in mind that it is impossible for me to sleep on a plane so I'll be spending the entire flight watching movies, if it helps. No lie flats on either metal, which would have made this decision easier.

I should also note that comfort is my main priority, as this is only the first leg of the return, where I'll have a second flight from the west coast back to Philly. So, a long day of travel. With AA, that second leg is on another A321neo, and with UA it’s on a 737 MAX 8.
Based on your responses, if between UA and AA narrow bodies, I think you should chose the flight that will get you back home the soonest since you can't really sleep on any flights. Not much difference on the hardware product between the two. Food is better on AA. Service is pretty much the same.

However, if your wife can sleep on the plane, then I would go with HNL/OGG to DFW so your wife can sleep and you can stay up using the much better IFE option versus the A321 where you have to rely on your own device. Food and comfort will be much better too on the wide body to DFW. Then you can take the DFW to PHL afterwards.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I just asked my wife if she'd consider one of these routes, and based on the look she just gave me, I should not ask again, haha. Ah well.
my suggestion…..

look at doing a day or two in a west coast city on your return leg.

you can get later departure time for west coast terminating routes like departures from 12-4 pm.
spend 1-2 days in west coast city
then fly am departure flight home.

also…prices can be cheaper this way if you split book the flights than if you tried to do one ticket out of home airport in the east.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
LAX-HNL-LAX

Planning my first trip to Hawaii in late September '24 with a friend. Any suggestion on airlines and what would be an affordable rate? Currently all carriers offer 387usd rt in basic economy, but according to Hopper, prices would go down to ~220usd rt. Priceline offers express deals at 250usd using a discount code. I am an OWE and *A Gold (through SAS, so probably won't apply at the time of travel). We will only travel with cabin luggage.
We're both tall, so prefer decent leg room. Meals and IFE are a plus.

Last edited by Finaviator; Apr 14, 2024 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
United has a large number of flights and as a * Gold, you get lounge access; I’d look no further.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
United has a large number of flights and as a * Gold, you get lounge access; I’d look no further.
Thank you! Seems like SK is a *A airline until end of August so I doubt there is a grace period in September.
​​Maybe I need to check with United.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Similar benefits would be available on Delta as a SkyTeam elite after 1 Sept. Delta has slightly less flights to/from HNL. Google Flights is a decent search engine for finding and tracking fares. Southwest would be the other option.
Finaviator likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Similar benefits would be available on Delta as a SkyTeam elite after 1 Sept. Delta has slightly less flights to/from HNL. Google Flights is a decent search engine for finding and tracking fares. Southwest would be the other option.
I didn't even remember the Delta & SkyTeam connection. Thanks for the tip! What's your opinion on AA/AS or HA?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Finaviator
I didn't even remember the Delta & SkyTeam connection. Thanks for the tip! What's your opinion on AA/AS or HA?
American has at least three daily flights between LAX and HNL. As a OWE, you'll have access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX and the Admirals Club / Sakura Lounge at HNL.
Finaviator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.