Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:11 am

We did the Walgreens Rapid test. Made appointment last Friday (3 days in advance). Test appointment was at 2 PM on Monday (departure scheduled for Thursday, noon from DEN). Waited in line (in the car) for 45 min, so sample time was recorded as 2:48 PM. We were told that results would take 24 hours. Negative results arrived at 5:45 PM, same day (3 hrs). Uploaded to Safe Travels. No issues. Will report back on arrival experience in KOA.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:58 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by wmz
I would love the answer to this. I can get free PCR testing in LA through several city-funded providers (e.g. Curative), but they aren't on Hawaii's approved list despite being CLIA-approved. I can go to CVS, but they seem to differentiate between symptomatic testing (I think free?) vs voluntary testing ($139). What's to prevent me from just saying that I'm symptomatic in order to get it covered?
I did it. I checked the box “were you around someone who may have had symptoms”, etc and I got the free one through my insurance. I had been on a trip, so it was possible I’m talking cvs.
wmz likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
photo?

Upstream a member said: Enter all of your trip information and upload a photo in the "documents" area. The photo will be helpful at the initial screening..

Is this necessary or optional?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by philemer
Upstream a member said: Enter all of your trip information and upload a photo in the "documents" area. The photo will be helpful at the initial screening..

Is this necessary or optional?
I think they are just talking about a photo of the test results. I went through the old quarantine registration 6X and the current one with the test-out option once and have never heard of or or been asked for any picture of myself.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mtofell
I think they are just talking about a photo of the test results. I went through the old quarantine registration 6X and the current one with the test-out option once and have never heard of or or been asked for any picture of myself.
No it’s for an actual photo (document type is “Recent Photo of Yourself”). I believe it’s optional but I’m guessing the purpose is to further show it’s your Safe Travels account, instead of let’s say someone with the same name?
philemer and mtofell like this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
My wife and I both made our appointments on Saturday at 8ET for this morning at Walgreens (Rapid POC). Took about 25 minutes today including waiting time. Finished at about 10:45AM.

My wife got her negative result back at about noon, and I got mine about 20 minutes later. We both uploaded the lab version of the PDF (the other one offered is called patient friendly) to Safe Travels. Within seconds it went from Pending Verification to COVID NEGATIVE.

Last edited by VTrain; Nov 4, 2020 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VTrain
No it’s for an actual photo (document type is “Recent Photo of Yourself”). I believe it’s optional but I’m guessing the purpose is to further show it’s your Safe Travels account, instead of let’s say someone with the same name?
Interesting.... I know they tend to ask for a lot of stuff that really isn't needed. Like I heard I should have a physical copy of my QR code and forgot and they never asked for it. Also, I uploaded the results of my negative test and had a physical copy. Not sure why they need both. I guess when you're the government it's just fun to make people jump through hoops just for the sake of jumping through hoops.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Thanks for the valuable info. Vault say on their website that they will return the results within 72 hours from the time the kit arrives in their Lab. Wouldn't it be risky since 72 hours from they receive the sample would be too late for the Hawaii bound flights? Have you looked into this?
Mine came back in 24 hours form the time I shipped it! It's 72 hours before the scheduled time of departure, not arrival!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:13 am

Don’t need it but my wife and I both got our Vault negative results back this morning, less than 24 hours after they arrived at their lab.

On a side note, not sure I’m a fan of them putting the test results IN THE EMAIL. Everyone else just says your results are back and makes you log in, much better from a privacy standpoint.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I am using GoHealth in Marin County CA. Testing the Saturday prior to Sunday departure. "Immediate results" (15-20 mins) that are handed to you on site and can be immediately down loaded. A little difficult to schedule but it eventually worked out well.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:49 pm

Our flight to Kauai is leaving on 7:50am from SJC tomorrow, me and hubby had the test done through Color on Tuesday morning, result came back within 24 hours, it was quick and easy but my daughter test result that we had done with CityHealth urgent care still show pending....it’s over 48 hours now and we are super nervous ☹️
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

On a side note, not sure I’m a fan of them putting the test results IN THE EMAIL. Everyone else just says your results are back and makes you log in, much better from a privacy standpoint.
So, someone steals your ID and has access to your email and the worst thing you have to worry about is the results of a Covid test?????? God forbid some crackhead knows that you don't have Covid.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
So, someone steals your ID and has access to your email and the worst thing you have to worry about is the results of a Covid test?????? God forbid some crackhead knows that you don't have Covid.
While seemingly not a HIPAA violation, this procedure does go against standard healthcare practices.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:30 pm

Has anyone had a two island itinerary? We are flying into Kauai tomorrow and finish our trip in Oahu next week. Do I need to submit two different trips to the Safe Travels website/ do I need two QR codes?

The form asks for your hotel name, so I gave the one in Kauai but you can't have two.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by aoconnor
Has anyone had a two island itinerary? We are flying into Kauai tomorrow and finish our trip in Oahu next week. Do I need to submit two different trips to the Safe Travels website/ do I need two QR codes?

The form asks for your hotel name, so I gave the one in Kauai but you can't have two.
You need to fill out the documentation and get a QR code for each island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.