Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
BeachRat's clarification is really important, and in my experience, very accurate.

I am currently on Maui now. This is our family's second trip here since the they reopened. Our first trip was the week before Thanksgiving. We are Maui regulars, having traveled here over 50 times. However, these days, things are definitely a bit more complicated.

I posted separately regarding our process in November. However, to follow up with some additional details provided by BeachRat, I would like to offer the following:
- Testing via Walgreens using the PCR-NAAT test that is not fast, we got results in about 24 hours in SoCal in late March, 2021.
- All our results came back negative, but when uploading the test results to the Safe Travels website, all our status messages are Verification in Process. We didn't have this problem the first time around, and in reality, it's not a problem, if you print out your test results. We still got QR codes, as BeachRat implies, despite this indeterminate test result status.
- Unlike our November trip, United now has preclearance at LAX. So we took our printouts of our negative tests to the United Club, they verified our tests, we got our wristbands, and we were able to bypass the lines at OGG.
- We've now been here for 2 days, our test status on the Safe Travels website still says Verification in Process. However, along side our QR code (and this is important), there are now status messages that display: Screened - Yes, In Quarantine - No, Exempt - Yes, Exemptions - Negative Covid Test. All these "flags" got set when we received preclearance at LAX. The same thing would happen if you just went through the "regular" lane upon arrival at OGG.

The purpose for this lengthy post is similar to BeachRat's: The QR code you receive is merely an acknowledgement that you have gone through all the proper steps in the process for entry to Hawaii. It does not necessarily mean you are fully cleared. You might be fully cleared, but you might not. The proof in the pudding is in the additional data fields that come with the QR code itself; some of which I have denoted above.

Hope that helps some folks better understand how things actually work.
BeachRat likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by dlaue
On board Southwest 1106 now. Internet very slow.
thats typical. its good for email, cant stream anything tho
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:38 am

From CityHealth's appointment website, it says the $20 charge is for "Hawaii Documentation," not for the test itself.

If you don't pay the $20, what does the results page look like? Is it still usable for Hawaii?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by tromer
Hah, slow internet is annoying, but you are lucky to have internet for the flight! I am flying United next weekend which leads to this question -- when you got tested at lgb, was there any verification that you would be a Southwest passenger? Anecdotes above suggest not?

Great news! Since they don't list every site for other providers, I assume it is a coding issue on the drop-down. But glad to hear that you got the QR as timely as everyone else, without having to explain yourself via some exception process.

I assume the wrist band means it will be smooth sailing once you land. Have a wonderful time.
Yes, with the wristbands, we were able to walk right through Honolulu airport. The band is checked twice as you are exiting the airport.

Regarding the QR code: I certainly did not mean to mislead about a QR code being proof that you are cleared for entry into Hawaii. But, I was simply going on my experience with 4 trips to the islands since the COVID restrictions were in place. In my experience the sequence is this (1) fill out the Trusted Traveler form on line, (2) get your negative COVID test results with a proper test and at a lab approved by Hawaii, (3) upload your test results to your Trusted Traveler record, (4) receive an email from Hawaii with the QR code attached, I was unaware the one could print out a QR code prior to completing the entire sequence.

For the first time on our recent trip the flight attendant paged two passengers prior to landing and advised them to see an "agent" upon arrival because of "paperwork problems."
Didn't sound good. Bottom line---> follow all the steps. Check to be sure your lab is currently approved (some labs have dropped out of the program) and have a wonderful time here in Hawaii!
BeachRat likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by sincx
From CityHealth's appointment website, it says the $20 charge is for "Hawaii Documentation," not for the test itself.

If you don't pay the $20, what does the results page look like? Is it still usable for Hawaii?
i had used cityhealth PCR test in the past... the "hawaii ready" travel docs were instantly accepted by safetravels site

today i tested at walgreens.. IDNOW test. Test was free. the generic lab results pdf they provided (within 30 minutes! they have to be analyzing onsite...) was also instantly accepted by safe travels site

if your local walgreens has IDNOW test i highly recommend it. many offer PCR which would typically take 12-72 hours for results
sincx and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jerryfreak
i had used cityhealth PCR test in the past... the "hawaii ready" travel docs were instantly accepted by safetravels site

today i tested at walgreens.. IDNOW test. Test was free. the generic lab results pdf they provided (within 30 minutes! they have to be analyzing onsite...) was also instantly accepted by safe travels site

if your local walgreens has IDNOW test i highly recommend it. many offer PCR which would typically take 12-72 hours for results
Great info thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jerryfreak

I checked on Walgreens site, they have 3 tests

Rapid diagnostic test IDNOW - less than 24 hours
Diagnostic lab test (PCR) - Result time varies
Rapid Antigen test BinaxNOW - Results in as little as 1 hour

Beside IDNOW, do Hawaii accept BinaxNow from Walgreens?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Taikucing
I checked on Walgreens site, they have 3 tests

Rapid diagnostic test IDNOW - less than 24 hours
Diagnostic lab test (PCR) - Result time varies
Rapid Antigen test BinaxNOW - Results in as little as 1 hour

Beside IDNOW, do Hawaii accept BinaxNow from Walgreens?
Hawaii does not accept antigen tests.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Hawaii does not accept antigen tests.
Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:30 pm

Just got our swab test at SJC with City Health for a Southwest departure on Friday. Will keep everyone posted on timing of results. Interesting is that we self administered in our car and they didn't observe. They wanted us to close windows also, so they couldn't really observe if we wanted to cheat the system. Process was smooth and painless. We only paid the $20 test. Hopefully there will be a good turnaround time.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:25 pm

when you got tested at lgb, was there any verification that you would be a Southwest passenger? Anecdotes above suggest not?
Answering my own question here -- there was no verification of being a Southwest passenger.

Rapid test took less than an hour and the uploaded results received "COVID NEGATIVE" on the Hawaii site almost immediately.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Another experience with City Health at LGB. Had originally made appt for a Rapid Molecular at the end of March before the site was even open at a price of $220 per test (not a typo and that is the charge that hit my CC). About a week later I checked again and saw the pricing had gone down to $20 for the Rapid Molecular. Cancelled the original appointments and rebooked in the exact same timeslot for $20 instead.

Appointments for my wife and I were 5 minutes apart. We arrived at LGB about 20 minutes early and drove right up, Whole process was ~14 minutes for the two of us. Two people checked us in (one driver side, one passenger side). The did ask if our middle names were on the tickets or not. They asked to see DLs and insurance cards and took photos of both. Then we each got a card and moved on to the next station where cards were taken back and then on to the testing station. Given swabs, circle around in each nostril for 10 seconds, put swab back in wrapper and drive away. No verification of WN ticket at all.

Received results 29 minutes later by text and email. Interestingly results did not have middle name on there even though they asked us about it and we confirmed middle name was on the tickets, so not sure why they asked. Results uploaded to Hawaii site and instantly verified as COVID NEGATIVE. Chose City Health Oakland as the testing facility
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Answering my own question here -- there was no verification of being a Southwest passenger.

Rapid test took less than an hour and the uploaded results received "COVID NEGATIVE" on the Hawaii site almost immediately.
Yep...has been discussed and confirmed many times. You have to use Hawaii approved vendors, not airline affiliated vendors.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:13 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Anyone use the ADL mail-in test through UA for Hawaii? Experiences? Any failures? Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The test results from University of Washington sites in the Seattle area all seem to turn "COVID Negative" within a few seconds of uploading. Anyone in the Seattle area, I can recommend the Bellevue College site, no lines so in and out in minutes and the test results there are always back just after midnight of the day you take the test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.