Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It will depend on which island(s) you would be visiting. The islands of Oahu (City and County of Honolulu), Maui, Molokai, and Lanai (Maui County) have restrictions in place for restaurants, bars, and other public places that would require you to provide proof of a negative test within 72 hours of your entrance into their facilities. So, you would be spending a large portion of your time seeking testing sites and waiting to get tested. As of today's date, the islands of Kauai and Hawaii (Big Island) do not have such restrictions but are subject to change.
But wouldn't the person we both quoted get into those places with a CDC card?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
That person was vaccinated outside of the US and would not have a CDC card.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The CDC cards for around town are only used for indoor dining and a couple other indoor businesses like gyms and movie theatres, as I understand it.
On Oahu, proof of vaccination or a negative test within 48 hours is required for both indoor and outdoor dining.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
If you use an approved test vendor, a negative test within 72 hours gets you approved to fly to Hawaii. The QR code with the two green checks gets you into any and all hotels, gets your rental car, gets you on the golf courses.... during your stay. I have not heard hotels need to see CDC cards (why aren't you using your CDC card to get the vaccine exemption?). The CDC cards for around town are only used for indoor dining and a couple other indoor businesses like gyms and movie theatres, as I understand it. We are flying over this coming Saturday...that is my understanding. And we are using the vaccinated exemption.
It is not necessary to carry the CDC cards. I use my California health record QR code to enter restaurants It uses the same Smart Health Card as the Hawaiian system and every place we went to accept it.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:21 am

I've been reading through https://hawaiicovid19.com/ and a couple threads here and on reddit but can't find any explicit info.

I'm looking to finally fly back to visit family in Hawaii but I'm coming from Singapore where I work and have received my vaccination, and the rules don't appear to be so clear:
- For the vaccination, looks like vaccinations received outside of the US/territories are not valid as a means to exempt yourself from the 10-day quarantine, right?
- For the pre-travel NAAT test, it looks like the trusted partners are limited to Canada, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines and French Polynesia - does that mean that travelers coming from any country besides these basically can't get into the islands without going through the quarantine?

Or alternatively, it looks like the only way for me to go back home is to fly to one of these countries, get the pre-travel test, and then proceed to Hawaii? Or fly to California or another US state that is not as strict on where the pre-travel test is taken from, and similarly take the pre-travel test there before continuing onto Hawaii?

Appreciate any advice anyone can share - thank you!
In one of the threads as I was scrolling through, I saw "Dublin" and got my hopes up but then quickly realized the poster was referring to a city in California.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by goodtasting
- For the vaccination, looks like vaccinations received outside of the US/territories are not valid as a means to exempt yourself from the 10-day quarantine, right?
Correct. I'll let someone chime in if dine-in restaurants can accept foreign vaccination records.

Originally Posted by goodtasting
- For the pre-travel NAAT test, it looks like the trusted partners are limited to Canada, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines and French Polynesia - does that mean that travelers coming from any country besides these basically can't get into the islands without going through the quarantine?
Not exactly. US citizen/resident visitors from Europe and elsewhere to Hawaii have been obligated to an often overnight stop in the US mainland to get a test recognized by Hawaii in order to proceed. It does not appear any of Hawaii's Asian testing partner countries will currently let you transit landside in order to get tested. (Korea may be closest to being possible if vaccinated.)
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Correct. I'll let someone chime in if dine-in restaurants can accept foreign vaccination records.
Not exactly. US citizen/resident visitors from Europe and elsewhere to Hawaii have been obligated to an often overnight stop in the US mainland to get a test recognized by Hawaii in order to proceed. It does not appear any of Hawaii's Asian testing partner countries will currently let you transit landside in order to get tested. (Korea may be closest to being possible if vaccinated.)
Thanks!

Yeah for the dining in, I believe I read in some of the replies in a thread that dining in simply requires an FDA-approved vaccination which might explain why some people were able to dine in with no issues in their trips to Hawaii (I recall reading this in a reddit thread about these issues but specific to Canadians).

Seems like a stop over in San Francisco (I've got relatives there anyways) to do the pre-travel test will be the way to go since SF only requires a negative pre-travel test (but without the same level of strictness that Hawaii has on where the test is taken). Thanks for the info on Korea - I checked and am asking in the Korea forum whether the T1 terminal is airside. Japan has one as well but the one in Narita is landside so that's a no-go.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Hi all -- was helping some Europeans figure out what travel to Hawaii might look like. As far as I can tell there are no Hawaii-approved testing sites in Europe, so I assume it would be necessary to do the test during the layover somewhere on the US mainland.

One big question -- if one takes a routing like AMS-LAX-HNL with the plan of getting a Hawaii-approved test at LAX during the layover, I assume there is no check for meeting the Hawaii documentation requirements in AMS? It sounds like that is the case based on the experience of others but I just wanted to double check since usually there is some sort of check at the origin point that you're okay to reach your destination (like if you needed a visa specific to your final destination or something). I guess maybe it's slightly different here since in theory you could be planning to go to Hawaii and go into quarantine...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 2021 at 6:12 pm Reason: moved into thread that discusses this question
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The Europe-Mainland-Hawaii travel question has come up a few times in this thread; there's some discussion starting with post #1867 that you can review. In short, a traveler doing AMS-LAX-HNL will need to get tested by an approved facility and have the negative results in hand before boarding the LAX-HNL leg and the test cannot take place more than 72 hours before the LAX-HNL leg to avoid the mandatory 10-day quarantine.

I cannot imagine there being any checks in AMS (or LAX, for that matter). Getting the proper bona fides to be exempt from the quarantine is 100% the responsibility of the traveler and not the airline so the airline has no liability to protect against.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by bgriff
One big question -- if one takes a routing like AMS-LAX-HNL with the plan of getting a Hawaii-approved test at LAX during the layover, I assume there is no check for meeting the Hawaii documentation requirements in AMS? It sounds like that is the case based on the experience of others but I just wanted to double check since usually there is some sort of check at the origin point that you're okay to reach your destination (like if you needed a visa specific to your final destination or something). I guess maybe it's slightly different here since in theory you could be planning to go to Hawaii and go into quarantine...
1. There's no "Hawaii" in Timatic so airlines will only make sure the passenger can enter the USA.
2. In most cases, passengers will need to overnight in CONUS, so the itin to be checked in would not include Hawaii.
3. Even domestic passengers don't have to do anything to board a flight to Hawaii.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I cannot imagine there being any checks in AMS (or LAX, for that matter).
I'd agree. AMS ticketing agents would look for entry requirements to the US, and nothing is likely to come up for Hawaii separately. Also, they are checking eligibility for travel, not exemption from quarantine, which is what Safe Travels provides.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:32 pm

Booked my tickets! Excited to see family for the first time in 2 years. Flying through SFO to do my test and hope I don't run into any issues with getting a slot for the rapid NAAT which only takes 15-30 minutes for the results - looks like bookings are only available 1 week in advance
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok so weird question, if flying XXX-HNL-XXX from the mainland and back, and not entering Hawaii, does one still need to fill out safehawaii?

Do the airlines check for this, or do the Hawaiians on arrival?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok so weird question, if flying XXX-HNL-XXX from the mainland and back, and not entering Hawaii, does one still need to fill out safehawaii?

yes, yes, and yes.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rankourabu

If you are just transiting through Hawaii no you don’t have to fill it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.