Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sincx
Did something change with respect to how Hawaii treats CityHealth Urgent Care test results?

"CityHealth Urgent Care" used to be on the list of trusted providers on Hawaii's website. Now it specifically says "CityHealth Urgent Care at Oakland Airport". My appointment was with CityHealth Urgent Care's location in San Francisco.

What's going on?
I noticed the same thing yesterday. My test is also with CityHealth Urgent Care in San Francisco, and it's tomorrow since I travel this weekend. I am a little freaked out and scrambling to see if I can get tested somewhere else (like Color) as a backup.

I am hoping that this really won't be an issue in Hawaii since "CityHealth Urgent Care" was originally listed as a partner. I also see that the San Francisco center has language on its site which still seems to confirm their tests work for Hawaii. Fingers crossed the results don't specifically call out San Francisco or Oakland—I know this is the case with other facilities.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by MFtraveler
I noticed the same thing yesterday. My test is also with CityHealth Urgent Care in San Francisco, and it's tomorrow since I travel this weekend. I am a little freaked out and scrambling to see if I can get tested somewhere else (like Color) as a backup.

I am hoping that this really won't be an issue in Hawaii since "CityHealth Urgent Care" was originally listed as a partner. I also see that the San Francisco center has language on its site which still seems to confirm their tests work for Hawaii. Fingers crossed the results don't specifically call out San Francisco or Oakland—I know this is the case with other facilities.
For what it's worth, I emailed CityHealth to ask and they responded Hawaii will accept results from the CityHealth SF location.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
numbers don't quite match - hard to believe that out of 24 total post-arrival cases half ended up on Kauai given their rather small fraction of overall island travel numbers...
The surveillance program is optional; you can get a gift card to participate.

Whereas the cases on Kauai are people getting sick and exhibiting symptoms once they're here. It is interesting that they do have people actually getting sick; on the Big Island, the number of visitors who get sick is low and I'm not aware of any visitor that needed to be hospitalized like Kauai.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
. There could be large number of asymptotic carriers who could not be discovered in the post arrival test.
Yes, it is possible...but with the optional post-travel test done 3 days after arrival on passengers that tested 3 days before arrival, symptoms or at least enough virus load should pop up in a test within that 6 day gap of tests to show something on the second one.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2020 at 3:40 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:54 pm

Thanks for the reassurance re: Vault.

just to clarify: the 72 hour mark is from the departure time to Hawaii, in the local time of the place of departure. So if one is flying DEN-KOA, and the flight leaves DEN at 12:30 PM Mountain time, it’s 72 hours from the 12:30 PM Mountain time... right? NOT 72 hours from the local departure time in Hawaii time (so 12:30 PM Hawaii time)... (and yes I understand that 12:30 PM mountain time is equivalent to 9:30 AM Hawaii time)
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefleur
just to clarify: the 72 hour mark is from the departure time to Hawaii, in the local time of the place of departure. So if one is flying DEN-KOA, and the flight leaves DEN at 12:30 PM Mountain time, it’s 72 hours from the 12:30 PM Mountain time... right? NOT 72 hours from the local departure time in Hawaii time (so 12:30 PM Hawaii time)... (and yes I understand that 12:30 PM mountain time is equivalent to 9:30 AM Hawaii time)
It's 72 hours from the time the flight to Hawaii departs - that's the same time no matter what the time zone. If your flight departs at noon pacific, it's 3PM eastern or 10am Hawaii. If you're on the west coast you can get a test at noon, if you're on the east coast, you can get a test at 3pm.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:15 am
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
For what it's worth, I emailed CityHealth to ask and they responded Hawaii will accept results from the CityHealth SF location.
I emailed them as well asking about my upcoming test at SF location which is the day before we leave for OGG. Wanted them to clarify that we would actually be getting the rapid test (as opposed to the 48-72 hr results) but never heard back. Does anyone know if you can request the rapid test when you get there?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Red '74 TR6
I emailed them as well asking about my upcoming test at SF location which is the day before we leave for OGG. Wanted them to clarify that we would actually be getting the rapid test (as opposed to the 48-72 hr results) but never heard back. Does anyone know if you can request the rapid test when you get there?
The SF location does not offer the rapid test that's valid for Hawaii. PCR only in SF.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:19 pm

The SF location does not offer the rapid test that's valid for Hawaii. PCR only in SF.
I took my test at CityHealth Urgent Care SF this morning and while they weren't aware of the change to the Hawaii Trusted Partner site (changing from City Health UrgentCare to CityHealth Urgent Care at Oakland Airport), they were adamant that the SF test is valid for travel to Hawaii. They assured me and just about any other person who asked about Hawaii.

The testing center actually had a separate check-in process for Hawaii travelers that they said allowed for quicker processing and also ensured the documentation included everything the state of Hawaii was requiring. I was told results were taking 1-3 days but they were all doing their best to push things through quickly given the pre-travel requirements. No rapid test at the SF location but the website states it does offer same-day results for an additional fee of $120. That being said, this was not offered to us or included in any material we were provided.

(Still feeling a bit nervous about the change in language to the site, so we may do walk-in testing at Color but still on the fence about that.)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:06 pm

Program Change: Must get results before departure + Canada now welcome

Starting Tuesday, you must have your results in hand prior to boarding your flight to Hawaii. If you don't, you are subject to mandatory 14 day quarantine and you cannot test out of it.

Another change: Canadians may test through AirCanada and WestJet and visit Hawaii, exempting out of the travel quarantine like other US mainland and Japanese travelers. However, Americans still cannot fly back to Canada, so this corridor is only open to Canadians. Canadians are subject to 14 day quarantine upon return, but may be able to test out of that using pilot tests in some cities like Calgary.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:42 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
No rapid test at the SF location but the website states it does offer same-day results for an additional fee of $120. That being said, this was not offered to us or included in any material we were provided.
Although this is our backup test next week, if anyone is going to the SF downtown location could you please check out whether they offer the rapid result test for $120. Thanks...
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Starting Tuesday, you must have your results in hand prior to boarding your flight to Hawaii. If you don't, you are subject to mandatory 14 day quarantine and you cannot test out of it.
Hmmmm, that could be interesting to enforce. So if I log on to wifi en-route or just log on when I land in Hawaii and have a valid test result to upload to the site you're saying they won't accept it? Are they going to block the site from uploading the test after a certain time? If not, it's going to up to the screeners to determine if the test is "late". I don't see any positive to pi$$ing off visitors who did everything correctly on the mainland and get punished by slow processing by one of Hawaii's "trusted partners". Seems like a bad idea.

EDIT: Weathboy; per the attached link to the Advertiser article, your info is a little off. As of Tuesday, tests that are still pending will result in the 14 day quarantine. If you get your negative result before landing, you're fine. This makes sense based on the level of positives on the mainland.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/11/19/breaking-news/pre-arrivals-testing-program-tweak-will-stop-travelers-with-pending-covid-19-tests-from-bypassing-quarantine/

Last edited by bluedemon211; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:18 pm

Test time not on paperwork

Does anyone have experience traveling to Hawaii with a negative test that only shows the date of the test but omits the time of the test? My sister took a test at Color, which is an approved test partner. She just received her negative test but nowhere on the paperwork does it note the time of collection; it only shows the date. She uploaded it to the Hawaii Safe Travel site and it shows the status as a "negative test" but wondering if we'll run into trouble when they check her paperwork at the airport.

Last edited by MFtraveler; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Anyone have any experience scheduling a rapid test in the Bay Area (not through United)? Flying in two weeks ... seems like a lot of the standard tests are taking longer than 72 hours to turn around, which would be problematic. As far as I can tell, no Walgreens in the area offer rapid tests, and I can't seem to find an appointment at OAK or SFO for a rapid test. Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Hmmmm, that could be interesting to enforce... I don't see any positive to pi$$ing off visitors who did everything correctly on the mainland and get punished by slow processing by one of Hawaii's "trusted partners". Seems like a bad idea.

EDIT: Weathboy; per the attached link to the Advertiser article, your info is a little off. As of Tuesday, tests that are still pending will result in the 14 day quarantine. If you get your negative result before landing, you're fine. This makes sense based on the level of positives on the mainland.
That is the issue they're trying to prevent now: there's too many people coming in hoping they have a negative test by the time they land and it's taking the state 2-4 days to process these test results after flight departure time. So if you're lucky enough to get a print-out of your tests in-flight or as you land, you will be OK to pass through. But yes, the governor made it very clear you -will- be punished by slow processing of one of Hawaii's trusted partners. If you're flying without test results in-hand and something out of your control prevents you from getting results during/after flight, you will be stuck in the lesser of 14 days or the duration of your planned trip locked up in quarantine at your expense. His advice: do -not- board a flight without results in hand and reschedule your flight for when they are in-hand.

What wasn't clear from today's press conference is if Canadians must have a test prior to boarding. The reps from AirCanada/WestJet said today that gate agents would make sure each passenger has a Hawaii-issued QR code prior to departing the Canadian airport. I know the FAA won't allow mandatory testing of domestic travelers, but I wonder if that's not the case for these international travelers from Canada.

In today's press conference, he also said his own children are flying in to see him from the mainland for the holidays. He said he has them doing a 14-day quarantine on the mainland, going out only to test 72 hours prior departure for Hawaii, prior to their flights in.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the policy of (essentially) forcing people to have a negative test before they fly is good, the issue seems to be that the non-rapid partners aren't making any guarantees about turnaround time, and it's very difficult to get a rapid test. Need some better options.

I took my test at CityHealth Urgent Care SF this morning...
Did you make an appointment or was it walk in?
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.