Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
This is certainly an enlightening thread. Despite all the messiness, I am still planning a 10-day visit to Maui on 10/24 unless the governor reverses course. I'm generally persuaded that a state governor's powers trump those of subsidiary municipal executives. It's a fairly basic legal proposition (not that anyone should rely on me for advice).

Honestly, my impression of the mayors' fulminations is that they are, at worst, putting on a good show for their constituents who would prefer that visitors stay away until covid is all gone. It's an understandable if not terribly realistic position to take. As I've mentioned to my friends and family members who think Oregon's governor is a clueless monster for opening too fast or not fast enough, this is not what any of these politicians signed up for and finding paths forward these days is not a job I'd wish on anyone. With Hawai'i's economy so tourism-driven, it's a tribute to your governor that he hasn't caved into the pressure to open up before now or just thrown the doors wide open.

The courtesy I plan to repay is to follow the rules to the utmost of my ability, which is what I've been doing since I started traveling again in July. This will be my fifth trip since then. Wearing a mask indoors and in proximity to others even outdoors is somewhat of a pain, but ultimately not that big an imposition, especially when the alternative is to stay home in the damp, chilly fall. I'm tickled that the trusted partner for testing here in Portland is the same outfit I coincidentally scheduled a test with a couple days before my Maui departure date. I used them before I visited Maine and NYC a few weeks ago, and they were super easy to work with and not terribly expensive.

Anyway, just wanted to add my perspective as a jaded traveller who nonetheless believes that risk mitigation and courtesy to others are admirable goals. I would imagine that covid cases will tick up up a bit once Hawai'i opens but am also guardedly optimistic that it won't mean catastrophe either, contrary to the paranoid fantasies of the doomsayers.

Best regards to all.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mczlaw
This is certainly an enlightening thread. Despite all the messiness, I am still planning a 10-day visit to Maui on 10/24 unless the governor reverses course. I'm generally persuaded that a state governor's powers trump those of subsidiary municipal executives. It's a fairly basic legal proposition (not that anyone should rely on me for advice).

Honestly, my impression of the mayors' fulminations is that they are, at worst, putting on a good show for their constituents who would prefer that visitors stay away until covid is all gone. It's an understandable if not terribly realistic position to take. As I've mentioned to my friends and family members who think Oregon's governor is a clueless monster for opening too fast or not fast enough, this is not what any of these politicians signed up for and finding paths forward these days is not a job I'd wish on anyone. With Hawai'i's economy so tourism-driven, it's a tribute to your governor that he hasn't caved into the pressure to open up before now or just thrown the doors wide open.

The courtesy I plan to repay is to follow the rules to the utmost of my ability, which is what I've been doing since I started traveling again in July. This will be my fifth trip since then. Wearing a mask indoors and in proximity to others even outdoors is somewhat of a pain, but ultimately not that big an imposition, especially when the alternative is to stay home in the damp, chilly fall. I'm tickled that the trusted partner for testing here in Portland is the same outfit I coincidentally scheduled a test with a couple days before my Maui departure date. I used them before I visited Maine and NYC a few weeks ago, and they were super easy to work with and not terribly expensive.

Anyway, just wanted to add my perspective as a jaded traveller who nonetheless believes that risk mitigation and courtesy to others are admirable goals. I would imagine that covid cases will tick up up a bit once Hawai'i opens but am also guardedly optimistic that it won't mean catastrophe either, contrary to the paranoid fantasies of the doomsayers.

Best regards to all.
What few businesses open will appreciate you coming.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Second Test Results are Secret

It's odd to test people for COVID but let them roam free and unaware that they're positive with the secondary testing happening with 10% of arrivals.

Post Travel Test Pitfalls

"One of the major potential pitfalls of the program is that those people who test positive as part of second-wave surveillance testing won’t be subject to quarantine if they return a positive result. Neither will participants be made aware of their test results unless they explicitly ask for them, under the current configuration of the plan.“If we do it as a study, which is a scientifically-based approach, randomized and blind, it will just become data for the department of health. This will not be meant to weed out additional people and then put them into quarantine,” Green said. “I do believe it’s going to be a very small number (of positive test results), and we will be able to allow people to opt in to get their data.”
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
What few businesses open will appreciate you coming.
I can pretty well survive on poke and Ululani's Shave Ice. Some golf would be nice too. Staying down in Wailea. Fingers crossed my simple needs will be met.
JNelson113 and COSPILOT like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Best regards to all.
Yours is a very refreshing post. Thanks for sharing.
COSPILOT and ExpatExp like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Summary of the press conference: 7 days to go and they can't confirm if any island will really participate. And added confusion bonus: 10% of travelers will be subject to a second test, but it's too soon to describe what the process is or how it'll work. And yes, the interisland travel quarantine continues.
This just gets nuttier and nuttier. So they have less than 7 days until this rolls out but it is "too soon" to describe what the process is or how it will work! Wow, this is island time to a ridiculous degree. I laughed out loud when I read this.

I can pretty well survive on poke and Ululani's Shave Ice. Some golf would be nice too. Staying down in Wailea. Fingers crossed my simple needs will be met.
I really hope that it works out for you. Please let us know how your trip goes!
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 8, 2020 at 7:03 am Reason: consecutive posts merged and off topic political commentary removed from post, per FT Rules
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
ok, now there are a lot more testing options on the list, including Walgreen's. I just got tested at Walgreen's last Saturday morning, and I had my results emailed to me on Monday night. They state a 3 day turnaround for results, so that would work for the under-72 hour window. According to the Hawaii requirements, which of these two tests is the one that is allowable? FYI - in CA Bay Area, looks like they only offer the RT-PCR test.

Last edited by kyee; Oct 8, 2020 at 6:04 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: UA GS

More backlash.....Unanamous resolution passed by Honolulu City Council. State urged to implement second COVID test or postpone its pre-travel testing reopening. IMHO, this one is a major blow to the reopening. Most people have assumed that Oahu would surely reopen without issue.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42736717/...ting-reopening

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 8, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
This is pathetic. Glad that everything I booked for December is refundable.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 8, 2020 at 7:02 am Reason: off topic political commentary removed from post, per FT Rules
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:31 am

Unbelievable that a week before this is set to start it's still a complete mess with no agreement among local governments. They've had 7 months to figure this out.

Does Ige not have final authority over this matter? He needs to be more assertive and set the ground rules. Maybe let the islands opt out entirely if they want, but not have their own rules or demand endless changes.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Walgreens only test if you think you have symptoms. How are people able to test for vacation or travel reasons?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by aoconnor
Unbelievable that a week before this is set to start it's still a complete mess with no agreement among local governments. They've had 7 months to figure this out.

Does Ige not have final authority over this matter? He needs to be more assertive and set the ground rules. Maybe let the islands opt out entirely if they want, but not have their own rules or demand endless changes.
I'm starting to think that they will pull the plug on the 10/15 entry after testing. They are just not even close to being ready.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Klxp2016
Walgreens only test if you think you have symptoms. How are people able to test for vacation or travel reasons?
I don't know how much that you get questioned at Walgreens about symptoms, but with pretty much everything being listed as a symptom I think most people could honestly answer that they have recently experienced something on that list.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
More backlash.....Unanamous resolution passed by Honolulu City Council. State urged to implement second COVID test or postpone its pre-travel testing reopening. IMHO, this one is a major blow to the reopening. Most people have assumed that Oahu would surely reopen without issue.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42736717/...ting-reopening
First of all. If anyone should be worried about getting Covid-19. It should be the people traveling to Hawaii. It seems to be a lot of non-mask wearing residents, that are not getting PCR tested. That may have spread the virus during the quarantine period of March-October. I think some responsibility has to be taken by the mayors for their mismanagement of this crisis, and encouraging blame to be placed on the non-residents. Hawaii, and it’s residents needs to start showing some respect towards the tourist, and visitors. Lt. Gov. Green, gets it.
JNelson113, nnn and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 8, 2020 at 12:15 pm Reason: reverted text to normal size
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Klxp2016
KP in SoCal is the same way, despite what Hawaii suggests. I haven't heard any further discussion regarding which (if any) of the trusted partners will do pediatric asymptomatic testing, either. Quest, at least in my area, will not do kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.