Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m done with all of this and leaving next week. There is no chance I will ever come back. 30 plus years of vacations and living here but I refuse to spend a dime in such a toxic place.

One has to watch the news nonstop to even keep up with this mess. I’m more shocked that some of you still want to come here.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m done with all of this and leaving next week. There is no chance I will ever come back. 30 plus years of vacations and living here but I refuse to spend a dime in such a toxic place.

One has to watch the news nonstop to even keep up with this mess. I’m more shocked that some of you still want to come here.
Yeah, it will be a long time before I would consider the trip there after the way they handled this. I just keep coming back to this board to read the latest update. It has became entertainment for me to watch how mismanaged this situation is there.
Weatherboy and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The challenge of having a second test upon landing (that KOA/ITO demand to have, that LIH will probably demand, and OGG would like to have) is there's no place to put the passengers. Even if the islands could magically source tests, the airports don't have space to house arrivals to get them to test.

As an example, KOA is under construction and even if it wasn't, it lacks sufficient seating and space for departing guests...let alone have any room for arrivals. So if a sufficient volume of test kits arrived, they still have no plans to set-up air conditioned tents or temporary seating or whatever at the airport to actually conduct them. I suppose if they started planning for this back in March/April, all the details could be worked out by now. But because it seems that the planning started within the last 2 weeks, it'll take a long time to get a viable back-up solution up and running.

COSPILOT I do hope you return once the pandemic is over though. You know as much as I do that this place is paradise when a crisis isn't brewing.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ksucats
It has became entertainment for me to watch how mismanaged this situation is there.
Some of the best entertainment I've had since Covid. I do feel for the people impacted (of which I'll be one soon).
Old Oct 7, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

After now nearly 12 years of running a business here my reasons for staying are diminishing every day now. With my family now moving to the mainland, business essentially failing, and my wife essentially done with all the problems here I may be following you out the door.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:27 pm

2:30pm press conference

FYI, Ige has confirmed there will be a 2:30pm (8:30 pm et) press conference today to discuss the testing/quarantine program in Hawaii. It will be streamed live on Facebook and most island media outlets will carry it.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
FYI, Ige has confirmed there will be a 2:30pm (8:30 pm et) press conference today to discuss the testing/quarantine program in Hawaii. It will be streamed live on Facebook and most island media outlets will carry it.
I'm sure that this will clear up everything!

As a practical matter, pre-departure and post-arrival testing will never be totally effective. As has been stated by our medical experts, the best plan of attack is to wear a mask, keep social distance, wash hands and avoid indoor gatherings. Somewhat tounge in cheek, money would be much more effectively invested in a deputized force of islanders to insure adherence to these guidelines.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 7, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m watching the news conference live on ABC. It’s great that technology hasn’t been figured out and Josh Green is using small poster board with no possible way of reading it.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Watching it also,

Loved the way the question of Big Island being in or out of the program was left un answered in person!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:11 pm

Summary of the press conference: 7 days to go and they can't confirm if any island will really participate. And added confusion bonus: 10% of travelers will be subject to a second test, but it's too soon to describe what the process is or how it'll work. And yes, the interisland travel quarantine continues.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Summary of the press conference: 7 days to go and they can't confirm if any island will really participate. And added confusion bonus: 10% of travelers will be subject to a second test, but it's too soon to describe what the process is or how it'll work. And yes, the interisland travel quarantine continues.
I bet the public is burning up the phone lines booking tix to Hawaii for this fall and winter.
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I bet the public is burning up the phone lines booking tix to Hawaii for this fall and winter.
If you want to gamble, save time in the air and go to LAS.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
12 trusted partners

This is the first time I've seen the expanded list of trusted testing partners. Here are the dirty dozen:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom...ts-october-15/

Anyone surprised that Alaska Airlines isn't on the list?
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:29 pm

Yeah, I was .. until I looked at the list

Alaska Air is partnering with Carbon Health, the 2nd entry on the list.

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...i-bound-guests

-David
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This is the first time I've seen the expanded list of trusted testing partners. Here are the dirty dozen:

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom...ts-october-15/

Alaska is using Carbon. I have already booked a test through them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.