Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by fMD
Thanks! Only approved if it's done by their approved providers though right?
Correct.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Does anyone know how to handle a stay that lasts longer than what was originally submitted in the travel portal? The barcode printout shows the originally intended departure date, but I may end up extending my stay past that date.

There have been a few instances where I've needed to show the barcode printout as proof of not being subject to quarantine (car rental, etc.) and I'm afraid it could cause problems if it's past the departure date indicated on the portal.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:30 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Due to what he's describing as an extreme surge of COVID in Hawaii, the Lt. Governor has asked that everyone state-wide avoid all social gatherings of any kind for the next 2 weeks.

With today's daily new case count of 322, we're over his 200/day threshold where he would also recommend the pause in the pre-travel quarantine testing program. That hasn't been announced yet, but if the numbers continue to be bad for the next few days, I see it happening soon.
Curious to hear more on this. Interesting how it aligns with holiday tourist season ending. I was one of the people thinking mid-January would be a good time to sneak in a trip, when all the kids are back in learning/school but we have until Feb 1. Probably a bad idea.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bikenski
Does anyone know how to handle a stay that lasts longer than what was originally submitted in the travel portal? The barcode printout shows the originally intended departure date, but I may end up extending my stay past that date.

There have been a few instances where I've needed to show the barcode printout as proof of not being subject to quarantine (car rental, etc.) and I'm afraid it could cause problems if it's past the departure date indicated on the portal.
I don't think you have any problem as long as you have been there for at least the official quarantine period. I know several people who extended their stay, some extended multiple times.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Any chance HI flushes the testing requirement any time soon? Interested in going but dont want a brain probe.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Any chance HI flushes the testing requirement any time soon? Interested in going but dont want a brain probe.
LOL...... NO. I'd be shocked if it were different six months from now. fwiw, the nasal swab is really nothing. The "deep" probe is REALLY bad but I don't think many (any?) of the tests do that anymore.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I would be more worried about Hawaii shutting down again. When vaccinations are widespread, and CDC gives policy statements on travel with the vaccine, Hawaii may loosen some things up. Otherwise you will have to test.

There are other options...the spit test, for example. Or the self administered nasal swab, which tickles, but is not uncomfortable. Just takes some research...
LETTERBOY and Finkface like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
The test airside at DFW goes about an inch into your nose. You don't even notice it. No "brain probe" required.

You could also take one of the saliva tests mentioned above, which, again, doesn't involve any "brain probe".
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
When vaccinations are widespread, and CDC gives policy statements on travel with the vaccine, Hawaii may loosen some things up. Otherwise you will have to test.
Hasn't Ige said that when vaccinations are widespread, people who are vaccinated won't have to test or quarantine? Assuming he actually follows through with that (not a given by any means), someone who wants to go to HI may just have to wait [insert number here] months.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Hasn't Ige said that when vaccinations are widespread, people who are vaccinated won't have to test or quarantine? Assuming he actually follows through with that (not a given by any means), someone who wants to go to HI may just have to wait [insert number here] months.
He did at first, but he has since made clarifying remarks that the policy won't change until the CDC issues specific guidance for vaccinated travelers.

But if you're fully vaccinated, it should be easy to procure a negative test result if the test program continues.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I have 2 trips planned and a bit confused. Here in Chicago, I can get an appointment at Walgreens, with results within 24 hours, but is that really a NAAT test? It says Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). Sorry for the confusion, it looks like Walgreens is good, but I don't see the specific NAAT language on Walgreens website. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I have 2 trips planned and a bit confused. Here in Chicago, I can get an appointment at Walgreens, with results within 24 hours, but is that really a NAAT test? It says Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). Sorry for the confusion, it looks like Walgreens is good, but I don't see the specific NAAT language on Walgreens website. Thanks!
The ID Now test is definitely a NAAT test and accepted by Hawaii. I used them last month.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
So I am looking at potential flights from the mainland to KOA, but the itinerary I have planned out has a connection at HNL. From my understanding, only one COVID test is needed if just connecting in HNL, but would connecting in HNL exempt one from the KOA arrival test required by Hawaii county? According to the Hawaii County test rules, the post-arrival test is only for “trans-pacific mainland” travelers and not inter-island. At KOA, are they only targeting flights arriving directly from the mainland for the post arrival test or do they base it off of your original testing locating?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:17 pm

My flight home from Maui is OGG-HNL booked with Hawaiian Air, and HNL-DFW booked with AA. Since it's across two tickets with two carriers, will I have any trouble when I connect through HNL if I just test once prior to departure from the mainland?

Last edited by triplehog22; Jan 13, 2021 at 6:12 pm
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:25 pm
fMD

Why does Walgreens not have ID Now in Western PA or Southern California.... I'm probably going to do Vault. Any other test you'd recommend as a back up in case it doesn't come through in time? (test Thursday morning, travel Sunday morning).

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.