Reload this Page >

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Map showing locations of current fissures and eruptive activity: https://hawaiicountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3428cd9282ff431c865eb32761793078

Vog Measurement and Predictions:
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/current/index.cgi
Print Wikipost

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by alpinecow
Currently on a 10-day big island trip (first time here) and have found very little disruption from eruption or even really vog. Stayed at the Four Seasons for a few days, and was alternately clear and hazy. Was able to run with no ill effects. Currently writing from Puakea Ranch on the northern peninsula which is awesome (!) and very clear air. Disappointed not to get to Volcano NP (the Kahuku area which is open isn’t anything special), but otherwise great trip so far.

Stay away so it’s quieter for me an my family!
Glad you are having a great time, but that is some significant vog in your picture...

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 21, 2018 at 7:19 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
Glad you are having a great time, but that is some significant vog in your picute...
Lol, thats what I was thinking. Thats some nasty air, especially that far north. That is about what it was like downtown Kailua-Kona on Monday. I had heard the winds were going to move it inland more for the rest of the week.

I will be interested in seeing what the long term effects of breathing it will be. If the incidents of asthma are higher in Kailua-Kona than elsewhere on the island, or islands. My first visit to the island, I had some bad side effects. The last 4 trips, no side effects at all, but staying out on the Kohala coast as opposed to anywhere south, with just occasional visits to town. This visit, no effects at all, and stayed at the Royal Kona downtown. Was only there about a day and a half though. The sky never cleared up the entire time. Never could see the hillside.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by weaseltown
Volcano House posted on their web site this afternoon that they will remain closed through at least the 23rd of May. This is the first time I've seen anybody even attempt to estimate a reopening date for the park.
Extended through August 16th.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Reporting in from the Kohala Coast the air is clear and the view is as beautiful as ever! Don’t let the vog stop you as long as you’re far away enough from it. A colleague reported getting upgraded into a suite in Kailua-Kona town (in the vog) on some crazy cheap rate and got $12/day cars all because visitor arrivals are down
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by msp3
Reporting in from the Kohala Coast the air is clear and the view is as beautiful as ever! Don’t let the vog stop you as long as you’re far away enough from it. A colleague reported getting upgraded into a suite in Kailua-Kona town (in the vog) on some crazy cheap rate and got $12/day cars all because visitor arrivals are down
Are you feeling the daily dozens of earthquakes?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I think you have to be really close to feel it. Nothing at all here. I’m a heavy sleeper though so nothing really wakes me up anyway...
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Just back from the Big Island this morning. Stayed in a house at the Mauna Kea resort along the Kohala Coast about 30 miles north of the airport. Arrived July 7 and had virtually no vog at all the first two days. July 10-14 significant vog as the trade winds were down. Mostly quite clear in the mornings, but vog started to roll in most days between 10 and 11 AM. No smell or anything but visibility certainly less than in previous years. However, the vog had no impact on anything we did. Still enjoyed golf, beach and hiking activities with no issues.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23 people injured by lava bomb today.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/16/u...red/index.html
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hailstorm
23 people injured by lava bomb today.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/16/u...red/index.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...l#post29980047
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Volcano House posted on their web site this afternoon that they will remain closed through at least the 23rd of May. This is the first time I've seen anybody even attempt to estimate a reopening date for the park.
Extended to September 15th.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:17 am

As of today (Sep 22), the park and Volcano House are partially reopened. Room accommodations should come back online by early October, with the hotel restaurants reopening TBD.
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:22 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The National Parks Service has just published a concise timeline and overview of the eruption: https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvis...t_2018_508.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.