Reload this Page >

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Map showing locations of current fissures and eruptive activity: https://hawaiicountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3428cd9282ff431c865eb32761793078

Vog Measurement and Predictions:
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/current/index.cgi
Print Wikipost

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by windnsea26
I haven't gone yet. We will be there in exactly 4 weeks. We are at Hilton Kings Land from June 6-12 and then Hapuna Beach resort June 12-14.
We are supposed to be at the Hapuna next weekend, but likely will cancel due to the vog. Will be monitoring the conditions until cancellation time.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
We are supposed to be at the Hapuna next weekend, but likely will cancel due to the vog. Will be monitoring the conditions until cancellation time.
The Hapuna Prince? From what I hear there is less Vog there than on the streets of Honolulu, or Kihei....
Old May 12, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
The Hapuna Prince? From what I hear there is less Vog there than on the streets of Honolulu, or Kihei....
I've had past experience trying to enjoy a vacation in the midst of a natural disaster (Tohoku, Japan, 2011). From that experience, I've learned that it is difficult for me to enjoy myself when all hell is breaking loose. The vog is just part of it.

I've just come from a briefing regarding the Big Island, and I have been watching the local news. For example, see: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/0...pdates-friday/

I'm afraid that the population may be in for some tough times. The Big Island is going through hell right now, and it may get a lot worse.

I'd rather stay home. For those that want to go, have a great time. The Big Island economy needs all the help it can get.

Last edited by 747FC; May 12, 2018 at 12:40 am Reason: Add link
Old May 12, 2018, 12:57 am

Yeah, I have been watching it closely also, but to me, staying away from the Kohala Coast because of issues in Lower Puna is a lot of overkill. I am keeping my reservations for June for now..... Agree, the population in Lower Puna is in for a very very tough time, but they are a tough people and will get through it. My friends in Waimea are not, it is life as usual for them, with the exception of the news.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
State officials plead for visitors to keep Big Isle travel plans
Old May 12, 2018, 10:42 am

Here is the latest information on SO2 and particulate matter spread on the Big Island (notice that at the time of my posting, Kailua-Kona is out of the "acceptable" air quality range with respect to particulates):

Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Current SO2/SO4 Measurements
Old May 12, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by 747FC
Here is the latest information on SO2 and particulate matter spread on the Big Island (notice that at the time of my posting, Kailua-Kona is out of the "acceptable" air quality range with respect to particulates):

Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Current SO2/SO4 Measurements
Looks like Kona is in the acceptable range for air quality though.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Looks like Kona is in the acceptable range for air quality though.
Today, yes. Yesterday (HST), no. Tomorrow, who knows?

But, here is a forecasting tool for particulate matter:

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/hysp...ftype=ensmax01

Last edited by 747FC; May 13, 2018 at 2:25 am Reason: Added tool
Old May 13, 2018, 7:54 am

Hasn't it been that way for years? I know the Vog was bad enough 6 years ago that I left my hotel early and moved out to Waikoloa to get away from it. From what I have heard, it has been that way since the 80's.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:00 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Vog has been present since the 80s, but the latest eruptive phase has increased the intensity/severity of it. During normal trade wind days, the majority of the vog is blown out to sea, but on days when there are light and variable winds, it can drift over populated areas.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:38 pm

Wow, with the latest updates on the 18th fissure opening up, and reading about how it is just now pushing out the last of the lava from the flow in the 1950's, I am hoping lower Puna even exists when it finishes. I feel so bad for all the people losing their homes, their livelihoods, I just cannot imagine how helpless they must feel. From what I read, the new lava is much more viscous than the old, and is shooting 300 feet in the air instead of just 100. I would think that means it will move a little faster, and claim more land as opposed to piling up higher.

I feel kind of a guilty pleasure, as I find it so fascinating, but sad at the same time. A year ago I considered looking at homes in the area, quickly changed my mind just because I lived on an island as a teen, and do not want to again. I have been looking at a lot of the sales of property in the area, much of it very recent.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I feel kind of a guilty pleasure, as I find it so fascinating, but sad at the same time. A year ago I considered looking at homes in the area, quickly changed my mind just because I lived on an island as a teen, and do not want to again.
Everyone on Earth lives on an island, because all land bodies are surrounded by water. I think what you're talking about is ease of access to an urban environment.

Back to the subject at hand, I think that things are goimg to get significantly worse before they get better. I'd visit if I had the freedom to take things day by day, but if I needed to know a week in advance that things will be fine, then I would stay away.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:05 pm

From what I read, the new lava is much more viscous than the old, and is shooting 300 feet in the air instead of just 100. I would think that means it will move a little faster, and claim more land as opposed to piling up higher.
You are correct that the new lava may move much more quickly than what has been seen so far. Just a correction: The new lava is expected to be less viscous, which means that it will flow faster, and represent more of a danger than previously slower-moving and more viscous lava.

Some more information for those who are interested: https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hawaii/page26.html
Old May 13, 2018, 9:39 pm

Thanks for the correction, I got my viscocities turned around. And yes, that is exactly what I mean by living on an island, except not so much of an urban environment, but the ability to quickly go somewhere should the mood strike.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:01 am

I have friends going this week as well as the week before I am scheduled to arrive. I'm hoping they have a good time where they are staying (Kona). I still have a few weeks and pray for the island as a whole to get better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.