Reload this Page >

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Map showing locations of current fissures and eruptive activity: https://hawaiicountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3428cd9282ff431c865eb32761793078

Vog Measurement and Predictions:
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/current/index.cgi
Print Wikipost

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by windnsea26
I have friends going this week as well as the week before I am scheduled to arrive. I'm hoping they have a good time where they are staying (Kona). I still have a few weeks and pray for the island as a whole to get better.
Most of the island is fine. If you need to say a prayer, speak to Pele, as she's the only one that matters.
tatterdema likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This is the most recently-released map of the lave flows. Note that the flow from fissure 17 is following the blue line (steepest descent), which would bring it directly over Highway 137, further isolating nearby communities:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato.../image-423.jpg
Old May 15, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
This is the most recently-released map of the lave flows. Note that the flow from fissure 17 is following the blue line (steepest descent), which would bring it directly over Highway 137, further isolating nearby communities:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato.../image-423.jpg
This is one natural event (I don't consider it a "natural disaster" because it is just doing what a known active volcano will do) where no one needs to get hurt, no one needs to get stuck, and most people can get their most valuable possessions not affixed to the property out, as long as they act in a timely manner.

I am reminded of whenever there might be an earthquake in LA that well-meaning people might check up to see if I'm ok. Accordingly, if you're headed toward KOA, absent some catastrophic explosion which results in an ash cloud that pollutes the airspace, I wouldn't cancel.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:49 pm

Volcano House posted on their web site this afternoon that they will remain closed through at least the 23rd of May. This is the first time I've seen anybody even attempt to estimate a reopening date for the park.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver
This is the best map I have seen. It is interactive, and if you click on each fissure on the left, it tells about it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...402006836&z=13
Old May 16, 2018, 12:01 am

Red Alert!

Ash spewing to heights of 12k ft, possibly endangering aviation:

"VOLCANO OBSERVATORY NOTICE FOR AVIATION (VONA)

As of early this morning, eruption of ash from the Overlook vent within Halemaumau crater at Kilauea Volcano's summit has generally increased in intensity. Ash has been rising nearly continuously from the vent and drifting downwind to the southwest. Ashfall and vog (volcanic air pollution) has been reported in Pahala, about 18 miles downwind. NWS radar and pilot reports indicate the top of the ash cloud is as high as 10,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level, but this may be expected to vary depending on the vigor of activity and wind conditions.

Ash emission from the Kilauea summit vent will likely be variable with periods of increased and decreased intensity depending on the occurrence of rockfalls into the vent and other changes within the vent.

At any time, activity may become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent."

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...ea/status.html
Old May 16, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is one natural event (I don't consider it a "natural disaster" because it is just doing what a known active volcano will do) where no one needs to get hurt, no one needs to get stuck, and most people can get their most valuable possessions not affixed to the property out, as long as they act in a timely manner.

I am reminded of whenever there might be an earthquake in LA that well-meaning people might check up to see if I'm ok. Accordingly, if you're headed toward KOA, absent some catastrophic explosion which results in an ash cloud that pollutes the airspace, I wouldn't cancel.
I think you minimize the impact of having one's home destroyed, becoming homeless, and leaving a community in which friends and family ties have existed.

While one might be able to outrun the lava, one can't escape the turmoil caused by it. This is a natural disaster, as much as Tohoku, Montserrat, Katrina, Sandy, Andrew, and any other force of nature that destroys everything in its path and wreaks havoc for survivors.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
I think you minimize the impact of having one's home destroyed, becoming homeless, and leaving a community in which friends and family ties have existed.
Not at all. I grew up and continue to live in natural disaster country, the kind that you often cannot outrun. Several months ago, I was living in days of ash falling on my house. 27 years ago, 3000 homes burned in a day close to home. 47 years ago, we were evacuated from home. Not to mention the earthquakes, which in my lifetime have been relatively benign, historically. Shortly after last year's fires, I took a drive up to northern Sonoma County, which was a temporary tourist wasteland, which was going to cause double devastation. They were thrilled to see us there. Most of the Big Island does not need financial disaster over this.

Any event where you can get out in an orderly fashion, hopefully with your precious material goods, and primarily, with your life ... well, that is my point.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Major eruption this morning. 30000' ash plume.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Major eruption this morning. 30000' ash plume.
Here is a display of the current impact (pretty bad at the time I posted):

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/hysplit/animate.cgi?domain=bigis&variable=so4
Old May 18, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: no status
We visited the Big Island less than two months ago and stayed in the Puna area. The Volcano is a major attraction for, and we don't care much for the hustle&bustle around Kona. If we were to go now, I don't think we'd cancel but probably focus more on activities north of Hilo or even in the Kohala area, trying to be upwind of vog. It's a big island and there is much that can be done, not the whole island is a disaster zone, and witnessing the eruption may provide an extra thrill for some as well.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
2 weeks after Hawaii volcano eruption, residents say it's getting worse
Old May 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Crazy video of lower Puna:
Old May 21, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Volcano House posted on their web site this afternoon that they will remain closed through at least the 23rd of May. This is the first time I've seen anybody even attempt to estimate a reopening date for the park.
Extended to May 29th.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Extended to June 11th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.