Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Old May 12, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Map showing locations of current fissures and eruptive activity: https://hawaiicountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3428cd9282ff431c865eb32761793078

Vog Measurement and Predictions:
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/vmap/current/index.cgi
Print Wikipost

2018 Kilauea Volcano East Rift Zone Eruption

Old May 27, 2018, 3:14 am

Just finished four days on the west coast of Big Island. You can feel that the tourism sector has been deeply impacted by this. Hotels and resorts do have patronage, but they're operating at far lower capacity than one would expect for late May. They're starting to offer incentives like food and drink inclusions to attract crowds. No air quality problems to report.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Weird, I check every day, and the price has only gone up on my trip June 17. Late May I have found is slow season though, before summer rush. At least I have found some pretty good deals for the past 4 years at the end of May. This year I had to put it off until June, and it was high from the start, and has not gone down.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Even if people temporarily stop visiting Hawaii (the island), they won't stop visiting Hawaii (the state) If the businesses on the neighbor islands that experience a bump in business have the aloha spirit to start a fund to help the Big Island businesses get back on their feet, then that should be enough to weather this storm.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:49 pm

From Hapuna Prince looking back at Kailua-Kona above.

Good video of just how bad the Vog is right now in Kailua-Kona. This is live webcam from the Sheraton. Then click back and look at the Hapuna Prince cam to see the difference, looking toward Kailua-Kona from Kohala Coast. With the lava just now crossing the first PGV well, and no guarantees on the amount of gas if any that will release into the atmosphere, things are not looking good. Sending thoughts to the people in the area, wishing them all safety and health.

Big Island Resorts See Hawaii Live - Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay Hawaiian Hotels

From Sheraton looking toward Kailua-Kona below.

Last edited by tatterdema; May 27, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...lands-10282886

The Hawaii volcano vog is spreading to Micronesia!
Old May 27, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by hailstorm
... the aloha spirit to start a fund to help the Big Island businesses get back on their feet, then that should be enough to weather this storm.
Good luck with that. Not gonna happen.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
This may be in poor taste, but is it a good idea to take a helicopter flyover to see the eruption or approach it by boat to see it go into the ocean? The last I heard helicopter tours have stopped operating and HCl vapor is coming from where the lava meets the ocean...
Old May 28, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
This may be in poor taste, but is it a good idea to take a helicopter flyover to see the eruption or approach it by boat to see it go into the ocean? The last I heard helicopter tours have stopped operating and HCl vapor is coming from where the lava meets the ocean...
Looks like you just answered your own question
tatterdema likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:37 am

Now locals are fleeing the Vog. I just checked a woman into my hotel in Seattle. She booked a last minute hotel and flight to get away from the Vog. She lives in Captain Cook. The pictures she showed me were awful. Looked almost like night time in the middle of the day. Even the pictures she took at the airport were pretty bad, although nothing compared to the ones at Captain Cook.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Now locals are fleeing the Vog. I just checked a woman into my hotel in Seattle. She booked a last minute hotel and flight to get away from the Vog. She lives in Captain Cook. The pictures she showed me were awful. Looked almost like night time in the middle of the day. Even the pictures she took at the airport were pretty bad, although nothing compared to the ones at Captain Cook.
A friend of mine lives in Captain Cook. He is leaving as well. Says the air quality is really bad and is affecting his health. He is going to my place in HNL this week.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vog reaches ‘unhealthy’ levels in Kona

Hualalai was shrouded in vog Tuesday as air quality reached “unhealthy” levels for some West Hawaii residents.

According to the state Department of Health, Kona experienced a “red” air day Tuesday. Since the installation of the air quality monitor in Kona in 2009, health officials say this was the first time they’ve seen West Hawaii reach unhealthy levels.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Waikoloa had some vog this week, but not as bad as Kona. It stayed relatively clear at Waikoloa, especially before noon, with vog mainly to the south.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all depends on the winds. You can still visit if you have some flexibility, but if you need to know three days in advance that everything will be fine, then I would stay away for now.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:46 pm

I leave Thurs for the first part of my trip, and have until the 13th to cancel or change my hotel on the BI. I just cannot decide if I want to change hotels. Right now I am staying in Kailua-Kona just so that I can walk to bars and dining. First part of the trip I will be spending a week on Kauai, and 4 nights on Oahu, so beach and sun is not needed at that point. Arriving on the BI on a Sun night and leaving Tues morning, so I am not too worried about it for such a short stay. I can switch to Hilton Waikoloa for about the same price, but I just hate the place. Even with cleaner air, I do not think I would be happy there, feeling trapped in the monstrosity.

Such a strange year for Hawaii. On Kauai the road is still closed at Hanalei from the floods, so am losing some stuff there. On Oahu, my main reason was I did not get to do Pearl Harbor on my last trip, and now the memorial is closed to landings, even though I will do everything else. And now the BI with the volcano. Still looking forward to every minute of it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:49 am

I'm leaving this Wednesday for our trip. Hotel will not let me cancel saying it's fine (Kings Land Hilton). I'll post updates for people here that are contemplating on going.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.