Wiki Posts
Search

Hilo side beaches

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Hilo side beaches

It's been a while since our last visit to Big Island so we are going again for a week in March. We will be staying about half way between Volcano and Hilo (Mountain View) and I have to admit that I forgot all about the beaches on this side of the island, and maybe we didn't really go to many anyway. So please remind me about where the best beaches on the Hilo side are, ideally some with snorkel option as well.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There’s not a lot of sandy beaches on the Hilo side; it’s mostly rocky shoreline coves. Be careful about the winter waves and riptides, too.

Best opinions would be Onekahakaha and Carlsmith Beaches, I think.

County of Hawaii - Shoreline Access South Hilo Map6
County of Hawaii - Shoreline Access South Hilo Map7
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There’s not a lot of sandy beaches on the Hilo side; it’s mostly rocky shoreline coves. Be careful about the winter waves and riptides, too.

Best opinions would be Onekahakaha and Carlsmith Beaches, I think.

County of Hawaii - Shoreline Access South Hilo Map6
County of Hawaii - Shoreline Access South Hilo Map7
Thanks, this is a perfect resource.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:44 pm

Make sure to check out local water/beach advisories.

When I was in Hilo last month, there was a warning regarding brown water run-off into the Hilo bay area that had advsories against swimming there. Check reports especially if it has rained heavily recently.

This is good website to check for any beach specific warnings/advisories: Know before you go | Hawaii Beach Safety

Please stay safe. Visitors are dying way too much in Hawaii. Recently we've had people topple over Rainbow Falls and die, and snorkelers drowning in Maui last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.