Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Best way to maximize points for upcoming Hawaii vacation (Kona on big island)

Best way to maximize points for upcoming Hawaii vacation (Kona on big island)

Old Jan 9, 18, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Best way to maximize points for upcoming Hawaii vacation (Kona) from San Diego

I have the following cards/points and am trying to figure out the best way to maximize the points for an upcoming vacation for a family of 4. We would like to go to Kona on the big island and are traveling from San Diego.

We donít mind traveling coach as we are trying to keep the costs down.

Amex PRG - 68,000 points

Starwood points - 30,000 points

Hilton 175,000 points

Delta 40,000 x 2 (wife has a card also)

I was thinking of using the PRG points towards a one way flight with Hawaiian airlines and maybe paying out of pocket for the return flight.

Another possibility was to use Delta for the trip home and buy extra miles for what is needed. Currently, I believe I need about 25K per person to fly home.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by windnsea26; Jan 9, 18 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 9, 18, 11:02 am
Community Director

Your cheapest way points wise is to use British Airways Avios to book AS flights. You can move your AMEX points to British Airways. Then, you need to search on Alaska Air and see which nonstop flights are available at the lowest points level. You then call British Airways to book them. They have no way to do this online. Check out this thread for greater details:

Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25307187-post497.html

I use HotelHustle.com to look for chain hotels. You'll be able to look for Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton hotels. If you prefer the Marriott option, you can move your Starwood points to Marriott in order to book.
Old Jan 9, 18, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I will look at that now.

Actually, is there anything else I can do with the Delta sky miles?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 14, 18 at 6:25 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Delta allows you to pay incrementally with miles, i.e. there is an option at check-out to pay with miles at a conversion rate of 5,000 miles = $50. It's not a fantastic conversion rate, but it's allows people with lower balances to use their miles more efficiently.

Hilton Waikoloa Village starts at 50,000 points per night. Again, Hilton allows you to pay with cash and points, so there's likely a sweet spot that'll allow you to maximize the benefit of those HHonors points. HWV is a nice spot for a family, but there are a ton of other options nearby.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at HWV a couple of years ago. The Big Island is fantastic, especially when you get out an explore. We only spent 1 full day without leaving the HWV property, the rest of our days were spent at Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea Observatory, Hilo, Kailua-Kona, Waimea, Waipio Valley, etc.
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:41 pm
Community Director

Your 30K Starwood points can be moved to Marriott for 90K points. That makes the Sheraton and the Courtyard in Kona comparable to redeem. You'll find them compared here:

Kona, Hawaii: Courtyard or Sheraton?
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's help. I have to wait maybe till next billing period to book one way with Alaska through British Airways since they don't allow pay with points/cash.
For Delta, I think I got that one covered. I bought 2 more $50 gift cards (1 for me and wife's account) and that was credited back. The flight back will cost us about $84 for the four of us.

As for hotel, I heard that Hilton Waikoloa Village so I'll check that out too
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Marriot Platinum
The Hapuna Prince is now an SPG and is only a category 5--Excellent value and with the 5 night booking, 5th night is free. The beach there is amazing and the rooms are very spacious. Shares a shuttle and cross charging priviledges with the Marriott next door.
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I second Deirdre on hotels. I would personally stay away from Ctyd Marriott and Sheraton because of location, VOG, no beach, etc. I usually stay 1 night at Ctyd just to be in town, but I would not stay more than that. Hapuna Prince is very nice, also Hilton Kingsland is better than Hilton Waikoloa Village in my opinion, although not on the beach, the pools are at least heated. Hilton really does not have a beach either, just a man made lagoon. Hapuna has the best beach.
Old Jan 24, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours View Post
The Hapuna Prince is now an SPG and is only a category 5--Excellent value and with the 5 night booking, 5th night is free. The beach there is amazing and the rooms are very spacious. Shares a shuttle and cross charging priviledges with the Marriott next door.
Beware! Hapuna Prince is undergoing an extensive renovation right now. It was originally scheduled to be completed in February and it now says spring.
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think once I decide on hotel I'll book that. Airfare, Alaska has one way tickets right now for 17.5k per person and then we will fly Delta on the way back.
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Beware! Hapuna Prince is undergoing an extensive renovation right now. It was originally scheduled to be completed in February and it now says spring.
This may actually work out since we are not planning to go until June when my kids are out of school.
Old Jan 26, 18, 8:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by windnsea26 View Post
I appreciate everyone's help. I have to wait maybe till next billing period to book one way with Alaska through British Airways since they don't allow pay with points/cash.
For Delta, I think I got that one covered. I bought 2 more $50 gift cards (1 for me and wife's account) and that was credited back. The flight back will cost us about $84 for the four of us.

As for hotel, I heard that Hilton Waikoloa Village so I'll check that out too
You can book the AS flights through BA now (and I would advise you to do that if they are available) as they are only 12.5K each one way.

Originally Posted by windnsea26 View Post
This may actually work out since we are not planning to go until June when my kids are out of school.
That could work out well, although you might want to book a refundable backup just in case. You might even be able to double book those points as Marriott will often let you book now without the points.
Old Jan 26, 18, 10:50 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
In the "You Can Only Wish" department:

Stay at the 4 Seasons. Hope for another nuclear missile alert. It seems that everyone who was eating breakfast was told to take cover and was not charged for the meal! That should be at least a $50 discount :-)
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Finally booked through British Airways and flying through Alaska. 4 RT tickets leaving 6/6/18 and staying until 6/14/18 for only 25K points each. There are 4 of us. Now I just need to find a good deal on hotels.
Old Feb 6, 18, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
You can book the AS flights through BA now (and I would advise you to do that if they are available) as they are only 12.5K each one way.
Nope, you still have to call. I tried many searches, on BA.COM, SAN>HI, and SEA>HI, and the only thing that shows is AA flts.

Search this Thread