Andaz Maui vs. Grand Wailea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui vs. Grand Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I mean, to say that GW is nicer than the FS is a stretch IMHO.
Having stayed at both on vacation and been "behind the scenes" of both now that Ilive here...............GW>FS every time. No contest. Heck, GW>WM>FS. Wailea Marriott is better than the FS too IMO.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:07 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
Having stayed at both on vacation and been "behind the scenes" of both now that Ilive here...............GW>FS every time. No contest. Heck, GW>WM>FS. Wailea Marriott is better than the FS too IMO.
Care to elaborate? Unless you are factoring in the relative cost of each hotel -- since the FS is considerably more expensive -- I just can't see how anyone can make that claim.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by nnn
Care to elaborate? Unless you are factoring in the relative cost of each hotel -- since the FS is considerably more expensive -- I just can't see how anyone can make that claim.
What is there to elaborate on? I work in the Hotel industry here on Maui, and I've stayed at both properties. The staff and attitude of the GW has exceeded that of the FS every time I've been. NOTE:I do not work nor am paid by either hotel, I work for another hotel company.

It's a small island so we help each other out when issues arise. So I've been BOF of both resorts. GW is much more professional and energetic. The FS is a wonderful property too,don't get me wrong, but not the same caliber as TGW. Not at all. It's just the "other" hotel in Wailea......I'd even prefer the Wailea Marriott over it. The staff there are like the guest there. They act like they're better than everyone else with no merit.....

That's all IMHO
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Several...
What is there to elaborate on? I work in the Hotel industry here on Maui, and I've stayed at both properties. The staff and attitude of the GW has exceeded that of the FS every time I've been. NOTE:I do not work nor am paid by either hotel, I work for another hotel company.

It's a small island so we help each other out when issues arise. So I've been BOF of both resorts. GW is much more professional and energetic. The FS is a wonderful property too,don't get me wrong, but not the same caliber as TGW. Not at all. It's just the "other" hotel in Wailea......I'd even prefer the Wailea Marriott over it. The staff there are like the guest there. They act like they're better than everyone else with no merit.....

That's all IMHO
So when you are making your assessment, is your final opinion based more on the perceived superiority complex of those who choose to stay at FS or is your opinion based on quality of service, property amenities, etc.?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by soliloquy
So when you are making your assessment, is your final opinion based more on the perceived superiority complex of those who choose to stay at FS or is your opinion based on quality of service, property amenities, etc.?
LOL, more people have a superiority complex at TGW if you ask me. It's always full of snobbish people! Opinion based on service and helpfulness of the staff as well as their attitudes. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert. I've only stayed at TFS 4 times, versus 11 times at TGW. Usually let price dictate where I stay, but anymore I lean toward TGW for those reasons.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several...
LOL, more people have a superiority complex at TGW if you ask me. It's always full of snobbish people! Opinion based on service and helpfulness of the staff as well as their attitudes. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert. I've only stayed at TFS 4 times, versus 11 times at TGW. Usually let price dictate where I stay, but anymore I lean toward TGW for those reasons.
Fair enough. Thank you. I can definitely see how staying in a resort where there are a lot of snobby plastic people would not help the vacation vibe.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by soliloquy
Fair enough. Thank you. I can definitely see how staying in a resort where there are a lot of snobby plastic people would not help the vacation vibe.
Better avoid the Andaz, then. If you look up "snobby plastic people" there's a picture of the guests and staff there!
soliloquy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:27 pm

My two cents:

We stayed at Grand Wailea for ten straight years and even became members of their club. We loved it! The pools, views and especially the beach. However, about four years ago something changed. The GW started to cater to conventions over their "regular" guests. We would get kicked out of rooms, lose dinner reservations and get passed over for seating by the pool.

Fortunately, about the same time, Andaz opened and it made a great impression on us. We have now stayed there four times and our only "bad" experience was when we booked a points stay and had a dark garden room. Everything about Andaz is wonderful albeit on a smaller scale than the GW. Way less kids and rude conventioneers. Our experience is not "plastic" people as previously mentioned, It is NOT like a W hotel.
soliloquy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by milemonkey
My two cents:

We stayed at Grand Wailea for ten straight years and even became members of their club. We loved it! The pools, views and especially the beach. However, about four years ago something changed. The GW started to cater to conventions over their "regular" guests. We would get kicked out of rooms, lose dinner reservations and get passed over for seating by the pool.
The bad changes started happening after Matt Bailey left as the GM.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is a great thread and hopefully more to come from people who have visited multiple properties in Wailea. Normally we stay in Kaanapali area on a timeshare preview deal but Mrs. B is fed up with the low rent crowd there so I may have to break the bank next year for Wailea. Sounds like Grand Wailea may be the better choice for families and Andaz for adults, though some prefer the Marriott or Fairmont Kea Lani. It's tempting to use points at the Andaz but I really don't want that dumpster view.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
We've stayed in Wailea many times over the last 25 years. I highly recommend the area, and it's gotten even better over the years with lots more dining options at all price levels. There's no "best" place as this is all subjective and depends on your need and preferences.

First question: Kids, and if so, what ages? Second Q: How much are you willing to spend?

Here's my take on condo and hotel properties we've stayed at, going from north to south.

Palms at Wailea. Nice but pretty basic condo complex. A short walk to the beach. Possibly the cheapest option in Wailea, especially considering how you can prepare your own meals in your kitchen.

Wailea Ekahi. Condos similar to Palms, but closer to the beach and more expensive.

Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott. I'd call it a 4* resort that is especially good for young kids, toddler-5. We've gotten some really good deals there.

Wailea Beach Villas. Our favorite. This is a luxurious condo complex, right on the beach. The prices are often vastly lower than staying at the neighboring resorts, and you have more space and a kitchen.

Grand Wailea. Best for kids ages 5-teens, given all of the water attractions. Decor is a matter of tastes (not ours). Very large property, which can get annoying.

Four Seasons. We love the understated elegance. Not the best if you're with kids. Very expensive. We haven't stayed there in a long time because Wailea Beach Villas is usually a better fit for us.

Fairmont Kea Lani. Similar to Four Seasons. Also quite expensive.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:40 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I remember when the Grand Hyatt was being built, way off to one side (near the public right-of-way restrooms) they were doing an archaeological dig. What struck me about what I saw was that this appeared to be a regularly flooded area. The south side of Haleakala has not had a big rain since 1969, and much of the development since then may or may not take storm drainage into account.

Anyway, here's the latest about development at the Grand Wailea...

https://mauinow.com/2019/11/25/grand...aAUwTbW0N6HCPY
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:18 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
The Grand Wailea has scaled-back expansion plans, and the chapel will be preserved.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...YGAuNRpfmq23AI
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
When we stay at the GW, we still go to morimoto for supper at the Andaz. The Andaz is still so beautiful and amazing to see. My sibling in-laws recently stayed at the Andaz for their 13th anniversary (no kids) and they made me a live video of the comp breakfast buffet, which was beautiful. I really think the Andaz is much better for people without kids and I still struggle to imagine people holidaying at GW without kids.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:32 pm
RJ1

With regard to the Andaz, there is a reference on their website about ongoing construction. Can anyone comment on this one way or the other? Curious if the work would spoil the ambiance.

We are looking at a late March 2020 visit to Maui, and yes I know it's prime spring break time, but of the luxury resorts mentioned in this thread (or others), which would be less likely to have lots of children? Seems like the Andaz is frequently mentioned as having less kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.