Search

Best airline to fly to HI from SFO and which islands to visit in 12 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Best airline to fly to HI from SFO and which islands to visit in 12 days

Hi all,
I'd like to know which would be the best airline to fly from SFO (or bay area) to Hawaii in terms of best service and best value for money.
Also, would like to know which three islands would you recommend to visit in 11-12 days, what to do in these and how to organise the trip.
We want, primarily to experience the life there, the culture and the food. And obviously the scenery.
Thank you!
XG
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Well 12 days for me would probably be 5 days on Oahu, 3 on Kauai and 4 on Maui.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by xiaogio
Hi all,
I'd like to know which would be the best airline to fly from SFO (or bay area) to Hawaii in terms of best service and best value for money.
Also, would like to know which three islands would you recommend to visit in 11-12 days, what to do in these and how to organise the trip.
We want, primarily to experience the life there, the culture and the food. And obviously the scenery.
Thank you!
XG
We are doing this exact trip this summer. We will be flying AS from OAK to KOA because I was able to use BA Avios to get the flight for free. We will be splitting our time between the Big Island and Kauai. We wanted to go to Maui too, but felt like we wouldn't have enough time as there were several things we wanted to do on each island.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Silver
I agree with JumboJet for 3 Islands, and Cledaybuck for 2 Islands. The BI takes a week, and I would not bother going there for less than that, as you will not get to see the entire island very well. I am doing 3 Islands (Kauai, Oahu, BI) in 12 days this year, but have already been to 2 of them for a week each. It will be my 4th trip to the BI, so basically just using it as a base for flight home. I will not give my opinion on culture, food, etc, simply because most people disagree with me, lol. I will say that I think it difficult to experience the true culture and "life" there in just 12 days, especially if you are Island Hopping.

I agree using AS, especially if you can utilize the Avios. I saved about $1600 using only 50k UR points for 2 of us.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thank you JumboJet, Cledaybuck and tatterdema for the recommendations.
Cledaybuck, how did you book with AS using Avios? I looked in the Alaska website and I didn't see where to book it...
Is there any airline that flies with wide-body planes? Not very keen to do a 5h30' flight on a single aisle jet...
Thanks,
XG
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver
You have to have either Avios points, or points that will transfer into Avios. For me, I transfer Chase points to Avios. Then you have to call them to book AS flights. First you have to make sure the flight is available, using AA website is easiest. It is a complicated and sometimes frustrating system, but well worth the time. The problem is finding availability. I always book a full year out, as soon as the schedule is released to get the best flights. Day flights go fast, red eyes are available longer. No idea about wide body from West Coast.

Here is an explanation of how to, although it is a little outdated, general concept is the same. It has to be a non stop flight.

http://milesprof.wpengine.com/2013/0...irlines-miles/
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
To sum up the experience....
Originally Posted by tatterdema
.....It is a complicated and sometimes frustrating system....
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Cledaybuck, how did you book with AS using Avios? I looked in the Alaska website and I didn't see where to book it...
Is there any airline that flies with wide-body planes? Not very keen to do a 5h30' flight on a single aisle jet...
Thanks,
XG
UA still does SFO-HNL using a 777. In return for a two-aisle plane, you get the world's most narrow coach seats, though.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think AA might fly occasionally from LAX with a widebody ( 767/777) or from DFW ( you can use Avios subject to availability)

AS ( alaska ) does not have any widebodies.

Hawaiian uses A330s/ 767s for their mainland destinations but you cannot use avios for Hawaiian.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hawaiian uses A330s/ 767s for their mainland destinations but you cannot use avios for Hawaiian.
They just started using the A321neo to the west coast as well.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Thanks,
XG
First find an AS nonstop flight at low redemption (17.5K one way). Luckily, from the bay area, you have a flight from each of SFO, OAK, and SJC. You then have to call BA to book the flights, which will cost 12.5K avios one way. I transferred Chase UR points to get the avios, although I waited until confirming availability on the phone with BA, since I have no other real use for avios. These points transfer instantly, so I was able to do it while on the phone with the agent. After getting the tickets, I signed up for checkmytrip, which showed ,me my AS confirmation # (I only had a BA confirmation #). This allowed me to pick my seats on AS's website. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.