Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

How bad is the beach erosion right now? What would you pick between these 2 options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is the beach erosion right now? What would you pick between these 2 options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several...

Good day all.

I have read and read and read and read the threads on this board, trip advisor, and watched probably 50 videos on YouTube including Yellow Productions' videos, who I know posts here.

We were going to be staying at the Hyatt Regency in Lahaina until my husband realized that the beach is almost completely eroded away. Apparently, this is a problem on many beaches Kaanapali/Lahaina area and the hotels obviously don't make you aware of this until you get there. That was the only hotel in the area that we felt was worth the price point we were going to pay. The rest of the hotels were not to our liking or their price was high enough that you might as well just upgrade and go to Wailea.

We are traveling for our 10th anniversary and we really want beachfront. You get what you pay for, right? So we looked in Wailea and found some decent hotels. The Andaz, although I really wanted to book it (we have no Hyatt loyalty other than the newly minted membership we signed up for days ago), but I could not get past the cost of staying at a hotel where the beach is a football field away (cascading infinity pools or not) and the rooms and bathrooms are so bland. I also am totally dumbfounded by the resort fees and mandatory parking fees on top of the already ridiculous (imo) pricing for the room and just about everything else. $3500.00 for 5 days in an oceanview where the view is of the ocean waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the pools is just totally aggravating my inner frugal.

In a state of indignant disbelief, I almost bailed on Maui and went back to look at the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki. I know..I know. It's crowded, there's traffic, there's all manner of chaos. I've read it all on the reviews. But, the water is RIGHT there just beyond the balcony and even though I have to share the beach, I don't have to pay resort fees. And another thing, we travel quite a bit. I'm not opposed to paying for nice accommodations. We were in Germany and Israel this year and we loved staying at our hotel on the Dead Sea. I felt that was worth the cost. But, this...this...I just dunno.

So my very loving and patient spouse and I are kind of at a stalemate.

Would you prefer this view: on Oahu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xuS6NDMtw&t=13s We'd be staying in an ocean front suite with 3 balconies and a whirlpool.

Or, this view: on Maui https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrgiWHFdQqs We'd be staying at the Andaz oceanview...if you can call it that. ha!

FYI, we are planning to stay at the Hapuna Beach Resort (newly deconstructed/reconstructed) by Westin this spring (hoping that they finish their renovations as planned by the end of February). So we'll be on the Big Island a week before we choose either Oahu or Maui.

I realize no one else can choose what is best for us, but I'd love some thoughts and angles that maybe I haven't thought of. Seems like not many people stay at the Andaz unless they have points to burn.

Thanks for your assistance and patience. Oh yeah, how bad is the erosion from your experience?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm not a fan of the Andaz. Believe it or not, I think the Wailea Marriott offers the best value on Maui--it is a fine hotel that charges less than other places just because it has "Marriott" on the sign.

Have you considered the Disney Aulani resort on Oahu? It's got a spectacular beach and is away from the hustle-bustle of Honolulu.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:07 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The best part of Kaanapali Beach is from Black Rock down to the Marriott Ocean Club. Further south (where the Hyatt Regency is located), the ocean floor gets very rocky with lots of spiny sea urchins (wana).
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I've stayed at the Maui Sheraton a few times and love the beach (Black Rock) there. Also a short walk to lots of restaurants @ Whaler's Village.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:20 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm not a fan of the Andaz. Believe it or not, I think the Wailea Marriott offers the best value on Maui--it is a fine hotel that charges less than other places just because it has "Marriott" on the sign.

Have you considered the Disney Aulani resort on Oahu? It's got a spectacular beach and is away from the hustle-bustle of Honolulu.
I have to agree with both these recommendations.

We stayed at the Wailea Marriot over Christmas. The rooms were very nice. Hotel had a ton of different pools to choose from and the beach was very close. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

We had the same experience as the OP staying at the Westin Nanea ocean villas in Lahaina. The resort was wonderful but the beaches were lacking.

Probably our favorite hotel we've stayed at in Hawaii was the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island.

On Oahu, Aulani or Ko Olina are the way to go!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by T2A
On Oahu, Aulani or Ko Olina are the way to go!
Just to be clear, Ko Olina is the name of the development, which contains four beachfront resorts: Four Seasons Ko Olina (formerly JW Marriott), Disney Aulani, Beach Villas at Ko Olina (residential condos with vacation rentals), and Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare resort).
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by soliloquy
Oh yeah, how bad is the erosion from your experience?
Pretty bad, and getting worse:

Hawaii Coastal Erosion Website
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The best part of Kaanapali Beach is from Black Rock down to the Marriott Ocean Club. Further south (where the Hyatt Regency is located), the ocean floor gets very rocky with lots of spiny sea urchins (wana).
I have stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock over a dozen times and the beach was always one of the most expansive south of Black Rock. Third week of December 2017 we stayed and were dismayed at how little beach was left. So bad that they could only put out a few of the so called cabana chairs where in the past there was room for dozens. However, the beach in front of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (1st hotel south of the Sheraton) was still pretty good. Also if you go just north of Black Rock there is still a pretty good stretch of beach in front of the golf course. The Hyatt area has never had much of a beach.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 747FC
Pretty bad, and getting worse:

Hawaii Coastal Erosion Website
It appears the maps, at least of Maui, haven't been updated in over 20 years -- May 1997.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:24 pm

I work at a resort on the beach in Kaanapali, and where we're at (right by Whalers Village) and up to black rock the beach erosion isn't really any worse than it's ever been. Further "north" it's more obvious, was at Napili last weekend and the beach is STEEP there right now. Kaanapali, you're fine.

That being said, Wailea Marriott is a great option because Wailea beach is in great shape right now as well, love that beach too.

Friends don't let friends stay on Oahu.......... :-) Maui No Ka Oi
FlyinHawaiian and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Southwest
We are currently at the property next door (north) to the Hyatt properties, the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, MOC. The property next to the Hyatt Regency on the south side is a state park. The beach front at the MOC and at the state park are huge. Both are about a 2 minute walk. The beach is public. The beachfront in front of the Hyatt is much smaller than the beachfronts on their 2 sides. The width of the beach depends on high or low tide. When we walked by the Hyatt yesterday, there were about 10 people laying on the beach in front of the Hyatt Regency. There was no one lying on the beach in front of the Hyatt timeshare.

We were at the MOC about 12 months ago and do not see any significant erosion in front of the Hyatt. Where the erosion was much worse in the last 12 month’s was between Whaler’s Village (about a 1/2 mile north of the Hyatt) and the Sheraton.

i hope that helps. My vote which does not count but it would be the Hyatt Regency.

Aloha

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.