Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Possible family trip to Hawaii (Honolulu and Hilo), advice sought!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible family trip to Hawaii (Honolulu and Hilo), advice sought!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by 747FC
Obviously an accident, and the cause of the atypical travel time you experienced. No need to scare the tourists....
Stuff happenings. Not trying to scare anyone, but can you assure that that will not happen? Telling the tourists not to expect google maps travel time.

Personal antidote: My first trip to the islands 1975/1976. Had the typical 10 pm flight back to mainland. Went Northshore in the afternoon. About 6pm headed back to HNL. Raining. Hit pothole, blew tire on rental car. Put doughnut spare on. It blew halfway between Waialoa and Wahiana. Missed flight. Very tough on a young couple with little money and no airline status.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
You can certainly spend a day driving around the Big island and staying in Hilo makes it easy to visit the volcano park. Between the two is the Panaewa Rainforest Zoo (free) which can be enjoyed for a couple hours or more. Unfortunately they no longer have the white Bengal tiger but it is still a very nice side trip.

If you want a nice beach you might plan on stopping at one on the North Kona side at one of the resorts. You can enjoy the sand and see how the other half lives :-)

A trip across Saddle Road will be an eye opener especially if you realize that a few years ago you took your life in your hands to drive it over 25 mph. Now it is like an Interstate on the moon.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:56 pm

Traffic is bad during rush hour usually around 7am and then again around 4pm. Other than that traffic is not that bad. I would say rent a car, its cheaper in the long run, and you can take the drive to the Dole Plantation, and North Shore.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help so far, everyone!

Any advice on rental cars? Looks like we'll need to rent as van for about 5 days on Hawai'I and about 3 days on Oahu.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 15, 2016 at 12:39 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by chevy454
Any advice on rental cars? Looks like we'll need to rent as van for about 5 days on Hawai'I and about 3 days on Oahu.
Please refer to the following threads and ask any follow-up questions in them; thanks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...nd-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ns-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.