Wiki Posts
Search

Planning 10 day, Oahu and BI trip.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Planning 10 day, Oahu and BI trip.

Right now I am planning 5 days on each. I have only ever been to the BI, so I know a bit about it, and how BIG it really is. Right now I am planning on 5 nights in Honolulu, then 5 nights on BI.

Just wondering if others would change to 4 nights Honolulu and 6 nights BI? Is there that much to do in Honolulu for 5 nights? With only 4 or 5 nights on Oahu, would you rent a car and try to see some of the island, or just stay in Honolulu? I was going to split it between BI and Maui, but it looks to me like Maui would warrant a full 10 day trip on its own.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: HawnAir
OMG yes! (Oahu things)
I mean have you ever gotten completely "out of town">??
Spent a couple of days onthe NOrth Shore? Surf meet season now,.
Or Kailua-Lanikai? Or Punalu'u?
Or even Ewa, Kapolei?
(not my cup of tea, but I go further out)
Although Oahu is only 44miles long, theres so many reasons its the most populous.
So much to do, and the most beautiful geographically,not to mention the beaches, valleys, ranches, hiking, museums, night life....
Now for the Big Isle....you cant even really "see" it in 5 days, so pick and choose WHERE
you want to be,rather than 140miles driving days with a sore okole (butt).
I presume you're staying in Waikoloa? Kona?
Ive always reminded ppl that Hawaii has a WINTER!, Its called the rainy season.
The Driest part of the state in mid winter is Kona.
We dont mind the mauka showers/rains it makes everything green and flowers bloom.
Have fun...NEXT trip do the other 5 on Maui,5 on Kauai.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ipster
OMG yes! (Oahu things)
I mean have you ever gotten completely "out of town">??
Spent a couple of days onthe NOrth Shore? Surf meet season now,.
Or Kailua-Lanikai? Or Punalu'u?
Or even Ewa, Kapolei?
(not my cup of tea, but I go further out)
Although Oahu is only 44miles long, theres so many reasons its the most populous.
So much to do, and the most beautiful geographically,not to mention the beaches, valleys, ranches, hiking, museums, night life....
Now for the Big Isle....you cant even really "see" it in 5 days, so pick and choose WHERE
you want to be,rather than 140miles driving days with a sore okole (butt).
I presume you're staying in Waikoloa? Kona?
Ive always reminded ppl that Hawaii has a WINTER!, Its called the rainy season.
The Driest part of the state in mid winter is Kona.
We dont mind the mauka showers/rains it makes everything green and flowers bloom.
Have fun...NEXT trip do the other 5 on Maui,5 on Kauai.
Thanks! I will leave it at 5 each place then. I have been to the BI, and am only going there to visit relatives, so I will not be driving all over the island like I did on my last trip. Staying at Waikoloa, and probably the farthest I will drive is to place of refuge to snorkel, and Waimea. I am going at the beginning of June, so I think the weather will be pretty good.

I picked Oahu as the other island to have a little nightlife and wanted to experience Waikiki. Had planned on doing touristy things mostly in the city, but will try to rent a car one day to check out the rest of the island.

Last edited by tatterdema; Nov 11, 2015 at 1:24 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I picked Oahu as the other island to have a little nightlife and wanted to experience Waikiki. Had planned on doing touristy things mostly in the city, but will try to rent a car one day to check out the rest of the island.
Consider whether you really want to be surrounded by fellow tourists packed in Waikiki. Other options are to spend some of your Oahu time on the idyllic North Shore (Turtle Bay Resort) or the West Side (Ko'olina Resort).

While you can get by in Waikiki with public transportation, seeing Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, etc., you will be spending a lot of valuable vacation time waiting for buses. Having a car allows you to do multiple things in a day, for example, going up to Tantalus to see the rain forest.

Have Fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.