Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Check-out late or extra 1/2 day charge for Honolulu hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We will be staying at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - checking in on Aug 17 and checking out on Aug 24.

We leave for an AC flight to Canada on the evening of Aug 25.

We would like to stay elsewhere in Oahu (preferably, not necessarily limited to, Honolulu) from the night of Aug 24 through to 4 or 5 PM on Aug 25.

I am a Gold member of the Marriott and Startwood hotel frequent guest programs - so I think that I can check out late at those hotels.

I am a Gold member of the Hilton chain, but I do not think I can check out late at any of those hotels.

Can I check out late on Aug 25, or perhaps pay for a 1/2 of a night rate, at any other hotel in Honolulu or elsewhere in Oahu?

I was also wondering about the same questions with relation to Aulani.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
We will be staying at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - checking in on Aug 17 and checking out on Aug 24.

We leave for an AC flight to Canada on the evening of Aug 25.

We would like to stay elsewhere in Oahu (preferably, not necessarily limited to, Honolulu) from the night of Aug 24 through to 4 or 5 PM on Aug 25.

I was also wondering about the same questions with relation to Aulani.
Aulani has a special "late check out" lounge area for its guests. You check out from your room and this lounge has showers/bath , living room area to relax , etc. -- allowing one to still swim, enjoy Aulani resort amenities and then clean up and dress before heading to the airport for an evening flight home. One would have to be a registered guest to take advantage of this area -- I am assuming?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
I don't believe any Hawaiian hotel allows late check out because so many of the flights back to the mainland are overnight, however, most (including Hilton Hawaiian Village) will allow you to use a 'hospitality room' for a half hour (or an hour?) to shower and change for the airport after spending the day by the pool or on the beach.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Your issue is not unique because red eyes back to the mainland are so common. I've often wondered why some entrepreneur hasn't started a day use lounge/pool/restaurant near the airport, with huge lockers for people to stow their luggage, so that they can enjoy that last day. (Think of lockers at ski resorts or DisneyWorld, but make them a lot bigger and $20 or so.)

Here are some options:
  1. Rent a room for an extra night

This is by far the easiest option, though the most expensive. If you have points, this a great time to use them. But I can't stress how nice it is to not have to rush and check-out by 10 or 11am, only to be orphaned the rest of the day. You'll have a place to hang out, shower and change, and secure your luggage during that awkward period.

And it frees you up to do whatever you want that last day. (Hint: it's a great day to take a Pearl Harbor tour.)

2. Use courtesy lounges/suites, if offered by your resort.

Hilton Hawaiian Village* on Oahu, for one, lets registered guests make a 1/2 hour reservation the day of their check-out in a "courtesy suite," which is basically an unoccupied hotel room, so that you can shower and change. If I recall correctly, you have to wait until the morning of check-out to sign up for a time, but if this interests you, call the hotel directly and ask about it.

3. Other resorts, especially condos/villas, have a courtesy lounge, which is similar to an airport lounge, except it has showers, too. No reservation required. The Westin Ka'anapali timeshare villas in Maui offers these, but I don't personally know of any on Oahu.

Both options 2 and 3 allow you to do what you want during the day, including sweating/swimming/snorkeling, because you'll have an opportunity to shower and change.

4. Use the resort's outside shower/bathrooms

If your hotel doesn't have courtesy suites, ask if they allow guests to use their facilities after check-out. Most will allow this sans room-charging privileges. If that's the case, and they have an outside shower/bathrooms, you can accomplish the same thing as options 2 and 3, albeit with less privacy.

If you're doing options 2-4, I'd advise having a separate bag containing toiletries, a large garbage bag to store wet clothes/snorkel gear, and a set of dry clothes.

Other options:
  5. If you don't want to return to the hotel, simply throw your luggage in your rental car (if you have one) and head out to tour the island, lunch, etc. Just take care not to get too sweaty or wet. We've done this a few times.

Of course, keep all valuables (laptops, cameras, wallets) in a backpack to take with you. We leave the doors of our rental car unlocked to show potential thieves that we're not worried about them stealing our underwear.
*BTW, as a mere silver elite member, HHV upgraded me to an incredible oceanfront corner room in the Rainbow tower, plus they threw in free breakfast. So I highly recommend this resort. I asked for a late checkout, but the best they could offer was 1pm.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:17 am

Ko olin a will give you cards that let you use the gym/shower/spa facilities, also ther is a lounge on third floor with tv, pool table room
You can leave your luggage with the bellhop
So no problem to use pools, beaches, restaurants, etc then to shower before leaving
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Ko olin a will give you cards that let you use the gym/shower/spa facilities, also ther is a lounge on third floor with tv, pool table room
So no problem to use pools, beaches, restaurants, etc then to shower before leaving
Also if you are at least a star wood gold, I have always been able to checkout at 4 pm at the royal Hawaiian or other star woods, no guarantee though
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It is a huge problem because, as a previous poster said, most of the mainland flights leave late at night. You could try a private rental, like a condo through VRBO or Arbnb. I own a vacation condo in Waikiki and I always give my guests a late checkout if they need it for free by blocking the last night off for them, as do all of the many other people I know who own rentals on Oahu. This is provided that night is available, of course. The goodwill it generates for me is huge and it has garnered me many a loyal repeat guest. It also allows me ot give an early check in for my incoming guest the next day as the cleaners can get in very early in the morning. A win-win for everyone for very little cost to me. The only problem you might have is finding a private rental for just one night. Most of us have at least a 3 night minimum but it might be worth looking into. But if not, pay for the extra night. It is so worth it to be able to leave your stuff, shower, nap whatever before that red eye. Just MHO.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Most resorts limit use of their facilities to the day of check-in and check-out. The OPer is checking out of Ko olina the 24th and flying home the 25th.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Recreation
Most resorts limit use of their facilities to the day of check-in and check-out. The OPer is checking out of Ko olina the 24th and flying home the 25th.
I believe that a MVCI owner, such as myself, can access the facilities (ie pools, fitness center) at Ko Olina at any time, whether I am staying there or not. I am not sure if Ko Olina has a lounge like Aulani, and even if it did, I am not sure I would be allowed to access that except on the day of check-out.

However, I plan to stay the last night in Honolulu, after checking out of Marriott Beach Club, Ko Olina earlier in the day.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I believe that a MVCI owner, such as myself, can access the facilities (ie pools, fitness center) at Ko Olina at any time, whether I am staying there or not.
I sincerely doubt it. I'm a Starwood owner and Starwood expressly forbids owners from using facilities unless they are registered guests. If this is different for Marriott owners, I'd be very suprised. Why? Because local/regional owners would start using the resort as their pool and fitness center year round.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have been allowed to stay at the Hilton on Kuhio until 4 pm with Hilton Gold.

When I had SPG Gold, I actually paid for an extra night at Sheraton Kaiulani just so I can stay in the room until 8 pm for an 11 pm flight. When I checked in, the CSR told me there is no need to pay for the entire night; for an extra $75 I can stay in the room until 8 pm. Not sure if that is their standard or its because the hotel was not going to be full on the day I would be checking out.
The hotel though is dated and desperately needs a remodeling.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Recreation

If you don't want to return to the hotel, simply throw your luggage in your rental car (if you have one) and head out to tour the island, lunch, etc. Just take care not to get too sweaty or wet. We've done this a few times.

Of course, keep all valuables (laptops, cameras, wallets) in a backpack to take with you. We leave the doors of our rental car unlocked to show potential thieves that we're not worried about them stealing our underwear.
You greatly overestimate the intelligence and greatly underestimate the desperation of petty thieves if you actually do this. They are not going to spend the time looking through your bags; they will simply walk off with them as quickly as possible.

Please, anyone reading, DON'T do this.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You greatly overestimate the intelligence and greatly underestimate the desperation of petty thieves if you actually do this. They are not going to spend the time looking through your bags; they will simply walk off with them as quickly as possible.
If they're that smart and that desperate, they'll just break the window or pop the trunk. Then you'll have damage to deal with, in addition to a stolen bag.

Note that there are two schools of thought on this, and both have merit. I'm with the people who choose to leave their rental car doors unlocked. If you choose to lock your doors, great. But I think we can all agree to take anything of value with you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hu_Hawaii.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...osta_Rica.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-...n_Islands.html

P.S. Because petty theft is such an issue in tourist-dominated places, I've really pruned back on what I travel with anymore. I wear a cheap gold ring instead of my diamond wedding ring. Our Nikon D50 has been replaced by a much smaller, more portable digital camera. The laptop has been replaced by an iPad. My Kindle has been replaced by old-fashioned paperbacks. And I highly recommend waterproof backpacks and Aquapacs for stowing what you can't live without:

http://store.aquapac.net/explore-pro...top-cases.html
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA1K
As a former Hawai'i resident, Leaving the car unlocked with windows down is somewhat of a common local (resident) practice in tourist areas. But one is not supposed to leave anything in the vehicle either.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Red Eye Flights- any hotel options day only stay?

Staying at Marriott Vacation Club - Ko Olina - for one week - checking out on Sat May 28 at 10 am
My flight to Canada leaves over 12 hours later.

Any options of staying at a hotel at HNL for those 12 hours in the day time? IE- do any hotels off day only stays?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 16, 2022 at 5:51 am Reason: merged with previously-started thread by the OP on the same topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.