New Car Rental Tax in HI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Car Rental Tax in HI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
I recall paying some pretty ridiculous rental car taxes in Seattle as well. These taxes are crazy high in a lot of places.
LAX is sky high as well..

makes MCO alot more attractive place to visit.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Well for travelers from Japan favorable exchange rate compensates for higher taxes. What is holding a lot of people back is fuel surcharge. Coming close to price of actual ticket that charge is just ridiculous and it doesn't seem that anybody is even thinking of doing anything about it.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aces_high
Well for travelers from Japan favorable exchange rate compensates for higher taxes. What is holding a lot of people back is fuel surcharge. Coming close to price of actual ticket that charge is just ridiculous and it doesn't seem that anybody is even thinking of doing anything about it.
I imagine a favourable exchange rate would compensate period for everything.. Money in the pocket, at the end of the day, when less is paid out..

Penny saved is a penny earned they say..
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Almost 40% of the cost of a cheap rental car in Hawaii is taxes and fees. I know they are annoying, but if another $4.50/day keeps you from going there, you're going to the wrong place anyway.
I have been bidding Priceline for October and the taxes have been nearly DOUBLING my bids. I bid $12 for 9 days today (that's $108) and the total, including taxes and fees was coming to $210!

Question:

Several months ago, I requested a reservation from Discount Hawaii Car rental. They quoted me a base rate of $177 and a total of $275. Can I expect that the taxes will be increased? Are they obligated to advise me (as apparently happened to the op)?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I have been bidding Priceline for October and the taxes have been nearly DOUBLING my bids. I bid $12 for 9 days today (that's $108) and the total, including taxes and fees was coming to $210!

Question:

Several months ago, I requested a reservation from Discount Hawaii Car rental. They quoted me a base rate of $177 and a total of $275. Can I expect that the taxes will be increased? Are they obligated to advise me (as apparently happened to the op)?
Discount Hawaii Rentals has a toll free number you can call.. I've spoke to the rep on occassion, and they are very helpful..

ime.. I've never had a price on the reservation changed.. a contract is a contract..
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Discount Hawaii Rentals has a toll free number you can call.. I've spoke to the rep on occassion, and they are very helpful..

ime.. I've never had a price on the reservation changed.. a contract is a contract..
I'm pretty sure it's not a contract. Furthermore, the reservation says:

Your base rate total is guaranteed; Taxes are estimated and may be
subject to change.
So, I may have answered my own question, but the nice thing to do would be to inform me ahead of time.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:56 pm
Suspended

I'm pretty sure it's not a contract. Furthermore, the reservation says:

So, I may have answered my own question, but the nice thing to do would be to inform me ahead of time.
You've got a point..

I would add it depends on the jurisdiction and laws.. with airline tickets, they can't come back and back charge.. and with hotels, ime they've never charged more than the rates quoted. .

If the law does not allow changes after the fact, and it is a binding reservation.. then the consumer is protected from tax increases no matter what the reservation stipulates..

I've never had an overcharge for a rental vehicle from original quote.. I have often receive final rental rates lower, but never higher..
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:51 pm

I just saved 55 bucks off my Discount Hawaii reservation with Priceline ($220 all in., as opposed to $275) for 10 days in October. Not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think you did pretty good on that. $220 AI is a bargain.

Remember the good 'ole days when we got convertibles for that amount?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think you did pretty good on that. $220 AI is a bargain.

Remember the good 'ole days when we got convertibles for that amount?
I do. The good old days of what, three years ago?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yeah, that's about right.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:57 pm
Suspended

I just saved 55 bucks off my Discount Hawaii reservation with Priceline ($220 all in., as opposed to $275) for 10 days in October. Not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.
Priceline..

Did you bid for it and have to pay for the entire reservation upfront? Or did you book of a quote given?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:04 pm

The former. You don't get a deal unless you bid.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:07 pm
Suspended

The former. You don't get a deal unless you bid.
I've tried the bidding a couple of times on priceline.. I didn't continue, as the benefit of having a low rate, no longer outweighed the convenience of cancelling without a full refund..

I suppose that using a cc with trip cancellation insurance would mitigate that risk.. I just don't know the insurance well enough to be confident booking via that method..
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I've tried the bidding a couple of times on priceline.. I didn't continue, as the benefit of having a low rate, no longer outweighed the convenience of cancelling without a full refund..

I suppose that using a cc with trip cancellation insurance would mitigate that risk.. I just don't know the insurance well enough to be confident booking via that method..
True enough. You have to balance (what is sometimes) the huge savings against the ability to cancel. There are times in one's life (ill and/or older parents, small children, etc.) which make it more likely that you may have to cancel a vacation. OTOH, I have saved up to 60% (which has equalled over $300) on a couple Hawaii rentals. Priceline also offers insurance (I've never seriously looked into it, but it is an option during the bidding process).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.