Wiki Posts
Search

New Car Rental Tax in HI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: Plat; Marriott Gold; HHonors Gold
New Car Rental Tax in HI

I was informed yesterday by my rental car vendor, Kehei Rent-A-Car, that the state has increased the daily tax from $3 to $7.50 for my January, 2012 rental.
This will increase, noticeably, my vacation cost.
These legislators like to tax those they think do not vote. While we may not vote directly, we do vote with our dollars and our feet.

The solons may end up killing the nene that lays the golden egg.

Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by bendar06
noticeably
?!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
The newer tax is to Mostly Pay for a new consolidated Rental Car Center that will be built less than 1/2 mile away from OGG
I've paid similar tax increases at SEATAC n ATL so it's not just limited to Maui.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
wow i figured most would complain about the hotel tax increase that happened a few yrs ago..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bendar06
These legislators like to tax those they think do not vote. While we may not vote directly, we do vote with our dollars and our feet.
Checkout the RAC garbage fees @ PHX and MCO.

Further, checkout the Lodging garbage fees in Chicago and Visa/Exit fees in Belize.

It's an epidemic.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Looks like the increased tax has already gone into effect (maybe 7/1?). Checking my Avis rental receipt from OGG today, I see the $7.50 tax imposed on the one day rental.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This is probably going to impact the way I rent cars, particularly on Oahu. Often we don't use the car every day and it will just sit in the garage.

Between this new tax and all the other garbage fees, plus the high cost of parking in Waikiki, it's going to be cheaper to take taxis to most places and only rent a car when we want to leave the 10 mile radius around Waikiki.

I think Hawaii is going to shoot itself in the foot. The Japanese are not traveling there nearly as much as they used to, and even less since the Tsunami hit - tourism is generally down.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
For the first time since '04, I won't be taking my biennial trip to Hawaii in 2012. I own a timeshare there, and they raised the property taxes so the point where we pay 700% more than a Maui homeowner. Then they raised the TAT (tourism tax). Then the auto rental tax was increased.

Yeah. They extracted a few more bucks out of me in property taxes, but the $10k that I spent on my last trip to Hawaii will be diverted to St. John instead.

I love Hawaii, but Hawaii apparently doesn't love me. And until they stop acting like I'm their golden goose, I'll stay away.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Almost 40% of the cost of a cheap rental car in Hawaii is taxes and fees. I know they are annoying, but if another $4.50/day keeps you from going there, you're going to the wrong place anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This is only the icing on the cake. How much more is Hawaii going to take from their visitors in taxes before people stop going?

I know it's probably going to effect the way I rent cars - if I even bother any longer.

If their tourism industry was booming, I could almost understand why they're doing it, but to ask for more money from fewer toursits is just going to bite them in the rear.

In June I used a 2-Hertz free week awards for 2 islands and because of the taxes, I think those 2 free weeks still cost me over $100.

Hotels and airlines don't charge taxes on awards. Why do car rental comapnies have to?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
just like the property prices here..if people didn't have a demand for it then the prices would be cheaper
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:13 am

Taxes More Than The Car....

Taxes can literally be higher than the rental.
Check out my OGG rental from Alamo last month: $34 rental rate, $36 in taxes.

(4) Day Rate ($15.12/day) $60.48
Subtotal.......................................... ....$60.48
Subtotal.......................................... ..($26.05)
Subtotal.......................................... ....$34.43

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees
Concession Recovery Fee 11.11 % $3.83
Rent Tax Surcharge 7.50/day $30.00
Veh.registration Fee / Weight Tax $1.40
Sales Tax (4.1660%) $1.65
Subtotal.......................................... ....$36.88
Estimated Total.......................................$71.31
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by bitachu
just like the property prices here..if people didn't have a demand for it then the prices would be cheaper
Actually, the demand WAS reduced, as tourism took a nosedive in '09/'10.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Recreation
For the first time since '04, I won't be taking my biennial trip to Hawaii in 2012. I own a timeshare there, and they raised the property taxes so the point where we pay 700% more than a Maui homeowner. Then they raised the TAT (tourism tax). Then the auto rental tax was increased.

Yeah. They extracted a few more bucks out of me in property taxes, but the $10k that I spent on my last trip to Hawaii will be diverted to St. John instead.

I love Hawaii, but Hawaii apparently doesn't love me. And until they stop acting like I'm their golden goose, I'll stay away.
Originally Posted by Recreation
Actually, the demand WAS reduced, as tourism took a nosedive in '09/'10.
The increase in FF mileage redemption thresholds is having me rethink whether we should be annualizing our spring break vacation to Hawaii..

We've got enough miles to do Hawaii for the foreseeable future, but with a mini-rtw at 75K.. why be stuck in one place?

Mrs. Maestro wants to visit Europe, and MCO from YYC is still only 25K.. Definitely some thought will have to go into where and why we go..

Too bad that Hawaii is becoming less affordable when they should be making it more affordable.. its going to deter tourism in a state that really needs to get it back on track..
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Almost 40% of the cost of a cheap rental car in Hawaii is taxes and fees. I know they are annoying, but if another $4.50/day keeps you from going there, you're going to the wrong place anyway.
I recall paying some pretty ridiculous rental car taxes in Seattle as well. These taxes are crazy high in a lot of places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.