Search

1st trip to Oahu 1/4/11 - 1/9/11

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:58 pm
OFV
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
1st trip to Oahu 1/4/11 - 1/9/11

So I managed to score one of the great deals from LAX to HNL for 5 nights/6 days in Hawaii. I figured that it was about time that I made a visit to this beautiful state. However, I have a couple of questions for my fellow FTers out there as I have no reservations yet for hotels/car yet. First, most likely I'll be by myself (male, mid 30s) and looking for more active outdoorsy activities (hiking, road bicycle, running, tennis) combined with plenty of beach/pool time to relax (I normally work 80 hrs/week so not a lot of time to myself) and great food/drink (low brow to moderate)...

1. What is the weather like during this time of year in the North shore vs Waikiki area as I'm debating whether to stay at Turtle Bay vs a Waikiki area. Also, I plan to rent a bike and ride around the island, maybe up to Diamond Head and around...is this completely feasible?

2. Is it possible to visit 1 other island during this time frame? And if so, any recommendations keeping in my mind my interests?

3. I'm SPG gold, HH gold plus have some IHG points for the rebranded Holiday Inn/Outrigger but for a single guy which hotel would you all recommend...location ideally on the beach but not requisite.

Thanks for any and all input!!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
HNL - do both Turtle Bay & Waikiki

1. Weather is beautiful year-round at HNL with not much difference in temperature, TB might be 1 or 2 degree cooler and more windy at the shore, basically still looking at 80 degree daytime & sunny. Weather.com has all the details you'll need.

For renting a motorcycle (or is it a mountain bike) - you might want to checkout the Hawaii page @ cruisecritics as there's plenty of locals there that can help you out & suggest local contacts. But, realistically, why not rent a compact or even subcompact, rates are pretty cheap & while gas is a bit more expensive than the mainland, a tankful is all you'll need for the whole week - unless you really to want to work out by riding the bike up the mountains. You can priceline car rentals @ HNL and/or checkout more tips at cruisecritics on local specials.

Another option for a single guy traveling in HNL is to use Hawaii's public bus system, very extensive & cover the entire island, very friendly bus drivers & helpful with stops & transfer points - will get you to the beaches, downtown, and if I remember correctly, all the way out to Turtle Bay (locals ride it to get to their jobs)

2. It's definitely possible to visit another island since Hawaiian Airlines have short "shuttle" inter-island flights nearly every hour at peak time and they aren't expensive. But to see Maui or the Big Island, you'll want to spend at least 2 days - meaning cutting back your time in Honolulu. You will need to decide on that or perhaps plan for a future return.

3. Hotel prices had dropped drastically in the past 3 years for economic reasons as # of tourists and foreign visitors had dropped, resulting in some very good rates at 4 and 5 star resort & high end chain properties all over the island. Checkout tripadvisors.com as well as cruisecritics for the latest dirt on HNL specials - I got an email from one of chains that we stayed at last year for Fall promo with rates as low as $59/night (wow - can't even get half a room here in NYC at the el cheapo Econo Lodge for that price)

Outrigger has a # of properties in HNL, mostly in Waikiki beach area - some on the (shrinking/eroded) beachfront facing the ocean while others are further back by the canal toward the hills & mountains - which is, surprise, mostly a 2 to 3 blocks walk to the beach. If you get an upper floor, semi-ocean view upgraded room by the canal, it's as good as being across the street from the beach and price saving worth the short walk. Other major local chains to check out are "Aqua" with their boutique hotels and the "Aston" with their condo/hi-rise properties. Just make sure you select one with a balcony, even if it's a partial ocean view or city view, evenings are so nice & cool, and sunny at daytime so that you can sit back, relax & unwind)

My thinking is that instead of visiting a 2nd. island, spend 3 nights in Waiki upon arrival, then the last 2 nights at Turtle Bay Resort - we had brunch there overlooking the ocean & its waves, unbeatable memories that last a lifetime while exploring the north shores. Then, return to the "city" for the flight home.

Lastly, the local ABC stores (enhanced 7-11's) has everything you need and it's all over the island, open 24/7 & a must stop for cold drinks, etc.

Locals love it when we say "Mahalo" (Hawaiian all purpose greetings for Thanks/Regards)
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:14 pm
OFV
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice, LetitRide3c!

I am thinking that for this first trip, I'm just going to stay on Oahu and try to really explore the island. Looks like I'll be renting a car and will just have to bite the bullet and pay the high parking rates or try for cheaper parking options as others here have pointed out. The other option would be to use TheBus for a couple of days and then rent a car for the rest of the trip.

Finally, do most restaurants in Waikiki have bar seating?..I 'd rather sit at the bar for my meals when traveling alone.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: spg gold
When you stay in Waikiki you don't need a car.When you want to take a day trip rent a car for the day.Then you won't have to worry about parking.If you go to Pearl Harbor you will never forget it.The entire island is a beach, However Waikiki will provide Amenditites,Rest,bars and a great beach.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Waikiki is a hopping place. Sort of a small version of New York City without very much crime. Weather great. Activities with bars aplenty. Try Duke's restaurant (fronts beach).
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:25 pm

OFV - jkoenig51 is right about not needing a car if you stay in Waikiki area, The Bus system in Honolulu will take you practically everywhere, unlimited 4 day pass for visitor is just $25 - good for to/from HNL airport too if you travel light.

As for car rental, check Thrifty, Dollar & Hertz for their availability @Waikiki locations both for pickup & return if you only need it for a 24 hour period. A mid-week rental is probably easiest during your visit as otherwise, year-round cruiseship pax from NCL might book the limited available ones ahead of you - do it early or use priceline or hawaii sites to bid/book the discounted rates. Try not to rent anything bigger than a mid-size or convertible as many hotel spots are tight and not mini-van/suv friendly since gas are more expensive out in the Pacific ocean.

For parking, rates at your chosen hotel might be higher ($15 to $25 night being the average) but if you check around, other nearby larger hotels might be less expensive & open to non-hotel guests. We spend 2 nights at one of the Aqua but our 7 pax mini-van won't fit in the low ceiling garage & it was full, parked it at another hotel not far / pass the Hilton Waikiki Price Huhio / Marriott further down on the Kuhio Street (a/k/a the Main Street) @ $12 for a 24 hours parking pass, then walk back to our hotel & burn off some calories from our meals. Another option is to try to find very, very limited parking overnight on the backside of Waikiki by the Ala Wai Blvd./Canal - otherwise, it's metered parking to 7 pm if permitted to park at all, then a 3 or 4 blocks walk to the beach side (no on-street parking on the beach side.)

Denny's in the middle of Waikiki, not far from the International MarketPlace directly on Kuhio Street, offer a full breakfast for $4 last year, a bargain if you wanted to skip most hotel's lighter ones.

If you can't sleep or wake up early b/c of jet lag or time zone issues (for us, it was a 5 hour difference) - you will find plenty of company on the streets, walking zombie's trying to jolt their body clock & looking for sights & sound.

Lastly, don't forget to check out the famous Aloha Stadium Swap meet, local flea market for best priced arts & crafts, gifts & souvenirs, and other native items, etc. on Wed, Sat & Sun. See this link for details -
http://alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

To encourage more tourists to visit Hawaii, prices are down compared to 5, 10 or even 20 years ago, so it's the best time to go see it - not quite the bargain capital but rather reasonable, say compared to places like New York City.

Aloha !

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: Platinum
If you are on east coast time, you might want to do the Diamond Head trail for sunrise your first morning. It's about 2-3 mile walk around Diamond Head from Waikiki, I think. The crater opens at 6am, sunrise is about 7am. You can google the distance from your hotel to the trail.

If you are not in a hurry, The Bus is a great option for getting around the island. Again, google will give you routes and times.

If you go past Diamond Head to Kalanianaole Hwy, the bike path is well marked. However, the road around Hanauma Bay and Makapu Point is a two lane hwy, so be careful. You might want to bike to Hanauma Bay and spend the day snorkeling. Remember that biking in Honolulu is primarily urban, with lots of clueless tourist drivers in Waikiki. There are public tennis courts in Kapiolani Park.

Have fun, stay safe!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
It is impossible to bike around the Island, and even doing most of it is tough. (at 112 miles, that is where they get the bike distance for an Ironman race). Rent a bike and a cheap rental car (if others haven't said it, check out aloharents.com) and put one in the other and take off.

If you haven't found a place to rent a road bike yet (and I'm assuming you mean bicycle, not motorcycle) check out The Bike Shop. When I'm ready to spend $2-4K on a new bike (and I just did that last month for a sweet full-suspension MTB) these are the guys I go to. They are a Specialized shop mostly (here, each major brand only has one LBS due to the limited demand) but they know cycling. Period. Bring your shorts, gloves, shoes & pedals. They'll provide a helmet.

Forget biking Kalanianaole up & over Hanauma Bay. PM me and I'll tell you the back way. Be warned, you won't like it. It's safe, but steep. We call it heartbreak hill or heartrate hill, and either way, it will work you out. Folks do repeats on it to get tough before Ironman.

Stay in Waikiki.
Swim the Rough Water course. Run around Diamond Head. Bike all the way around to Kailua, stop for coffee and a quick muffin at Kalapawai and then continue up the North Shore. (Or drive to Haleiwa and bike from there to Kaneohe and back. I prefer this so I have a tailwind for the return )

Hike Maunawili Falls and Manoa Falls. Wander down the Old Pali Highway from the lookout, but save some energy for the return ascent. Maybe hike Stairway to Heaven (also called Haiku Steps or 10,000 Stairs; not for the faint hearted).
Eat, drink, relax, repeat.

Stay on Oahu; for 5 days, you don't need to kill yourself bouncing around.
For nightlife, go to Arnold's on Saratoga. Surfer dive bar. Mellow vibe. You say you're: Single, male, 30s; you'll love the place.

For other meals, skip the bar and just grab a plate lunch from Da Kitchen and a beer from ABC store and sit out on the beach at sunset. That said, I do like Duke's anytime. Roy's in Waikiki and the Yardhouse are both worth the visit.

Take a surf or Stand Up Paddleboard lesson right there in Waikiki. You will thank me after.

Hope this helps.
A hui ho, Ted
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
1. Weather is beautiful year-round at HNL with not much difference in temperature, TB might be 1 or 2 degree cooler and more windy at the shore, basically still looking at 80 degree daytime & sunny. Weather.com has all the details you'll need.
It's always cloudy/humid/rainy when I visit.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I lived on the windward side of Oahu for 3 years. In January, I wouldn't stay at Turtle Bay (unless it's totally redone, I wouldn't ever stay there! It was very run down 10 years ago). You can have high surf - so the water is really rough.

Also, one winter it was really cool and rainy at our home, but a drive over the mountians into Honolulu and it was nice and sunny! You should have nice weather down by Waikiki, but if you do get rain, just let it fall on you. Rarely lasts long, and its beautiful.

Ditto about the car - you may want one for a couple of days. Rent in Waikiki - we've also used National/Alamo in Waikiki. Check out rates ahead of time.

Also I agree - do NOT miss the flea market! Go early; it's fun! Bring water - it gets hot. Drive there - you may need to go back to your trunk! If you have too many souvenirs, there's a post office in Waikiki near the Hale Koa - I've shipped stuff back to the mainland from there.

Do one day drive all around the island - go the Pali and stop heading north at the lookout (you'll see my old house!).

For some great snorkeling, I'd skip Hanauma Bay and head far west past Ko Olina to Elecric Beach. Or if you do want to do the bay, go early. It gets so crowded we never go there.

Only 5 days, I agree - why waste a whole day island hopping? We go two weeks (but have kids) and stay on Oahu. And we are never bored!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
.............For other meals, skip the bar and just grab a plate lunch from Da Kitchen and a beer from ABC store and sit out on the beach at sunset..............
The beer/beach part might be a little risky. “in Hawaii it is illegal to consume alcohol or carry an open container on the beach or anywhere in public.”

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-...hu_Hawaii.html

I have friend who was busted for quietly drinking a beer in front of his house.
Also be careful about jay walking. They periodically enforce this with STIFF fines. In Chinatown, a broken warning "poleece" saved my rear.
Aloha Ken
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
I have friend who was busted for quietly drinking a beer in front of his house.
Also be careful about jay walking. They periodically enforce this with STIFF fines. In Chinatown, a broken warning "poleece" saved my rear.
Aloha Ken
Mahalo for bringing up the law about drinking in public/on the street/down by the beach b/c I overhead conversation between store clerk and customer at the Waikiki ABC store. My brother-n-law went down the block to order takeout food to bring back to our condo suite for the week so that we can enjoy the sunset from the balcony & they said it was a no - trouble on the street if get stopped.

Yeah, the other thing we noticed in downtown/Chinatown when our local hosts took us there to walk around & had lunch, we noticed a very heavy police presence (both on foot & in their patrol car) on 2 different occassion - locals apparently knew about it & were careful, it was the naive mainland or oversea visitors that ended up getting pull over - for things like jay walking mid-block when there's literally no traffic on the street on a mid-afternoon. That wasn't the case back over in Waikiki as otherwise, they would be stopping lots of people & issuing citations - rumor was that it was safety related to rising crime reported in or near Chinatown, including drugs.

Another big "no-no" is talking while driving, if you do - bling and they will pull up quickly behind you & hit the roof bar lights for that Kodak moment with music (hi-low siren, that is)

Tried to remember the good encounters in Honolulu & nearly forgotten about these - along with the traffic jams near downtown up on the Freeway (yes, surprise, Oahu has multi-lane highway & plan ahead to get into the proper lanes for exiting (especially by HNL airport). Our own portable Garmin GPS was one of the best gadgets for the trip - or, setup one's mobile Goggle Map on that smartphone but make sure your "navigator" or co-pilot in the pax seat is helping you.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:20 am

PS Three tid bits well covered in previous threads: Don't leave anything in your car that you don't want stolen. Arrive at the Arizona Memorial as close to the 7 am opening as possible. Feast at a shrimp truck on your North shore swing.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:12 am
OFV
Original Poster

Great tips everyone, keep 'em coming! Renting a road bike and riding to a beach outside of Waikiki...is that possible? Are there places to store the bike?

And, since I'll be alone, when on the beach, I hope it's safe to leave a book and towels while I swim, right? I usually love to take my Ipod/Iphone to the beach but I guess I'll have to leave those behind in the hotel....or find a waterproof bag!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:41 am

If you want to take a tour you should check out Kualoa Ranch. I took the ATV tour of the Movie area's on the ranch and it was fun. I also if you like underwater activites I took this underwater scooter tour called a BOB (Breathing Observation Bubbles) it was a fun and unique experience. They also pick you up from your hotel so that was convient.

www.kualoa.com/

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/us/h.../sg/124/ag/72/

Other activities that I enjoyed was hiking Diamond Head and snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.

Another thing I would definetly do are drinks at sunset at House Without A Key at the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki. This is what I pictured when I first thought of Hawaii, a sunset behind a 100 year old Kiawe tree with hula daning and music.

If you like sushi a really great spot to eat and they have a 1/2 price special at happy hour and after 10pm is Sansei Sushi (2552 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815) There is also karaoke there after 10pm as well.

You should also try a traditional plate lunch at Rainbow Drive-In(3308 Kanaina Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815 ) I actually walked there from the Moana Surfrider and it wasn't too far, so biking there should be a breeze.

Alan Wong's (1857 S. King St , 3rd Floor Honolulu, HI 96826 )has a bar area you can eat at and his other restaurant, Pineapple Room(Ala Moana Shopping Center, Macy's, 3rd Floor, Honolulu, HI 96814 ) is good for solo dining as well. Or you can dine like Anthony Bourdain at Side Street Inn(1225 Hopaka St., Honolulu, HI) near the mall.

Last edited by arcticgrin; Sep 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.