FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1st trip to Oahu 1/4/11 - 1/9/11
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:31 pm
Letitride3c

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
I have friend who was busted for quietly drinking a beer in front of his house.
Also be careful about jay walking. They periodically enforce this with STIFF fines. In Chinatown, a broken warning "poleece" saved my rear.
Aloha Ken
Mahalo for bringing up the law about drinking in public/on the street/down by the beach b/c I overhead conversation between store clerk and customer at the Waikiki ABC store. My brother-n-law went down the block to order takeout food to bring back to our condo suite for the week so that we can enjoy the sunset from the balcony & they said it was a no - trouble on the street if get stopped.

Yeah, the other thing we noticed in downtown/Chinatown when our local hosts took us there to walk around & had lunch, we noticed a very heavy police presence (both on foot & in their patrol car) on 2 different occassion - locals apparently knew about it & were careful, it was the naive mainland or oversea visitors that ended up getting pull over - for things like jay walking mid-block when there's literally no traffic on the street on a mid-afternoon. That wasn't the case back over in Waikiki as otherwise, they would be stopping lots of people & issuing citations - rumor was that it was safety related to rising crime reported in or near Chinatown, including drugs.

Another big "no-no" is talking while driving, if you do - bling and they will pull up quickly behind you & hit the roof bar lights for that Kodak moment with music (hi-low siren, that is)

Tried to remember the good encounters in Honolulu & nearly forgotten about these - along with the traffic jams near downtown up on the Freeway (yes, surprise, Oahu has multi-lane highway & plan ahead to get into the proper lanes for exiting (especially by HNL airport). Our own portable Garmin GPS was one of the best gadgets for the trip - or, setup one's mobile Goggle Map on that smartphone but make sure your "navigator" or co-pilot in the pax seat is helping you.