Wiki Posts
Search

Best Economy Class Seat to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: various
Best Economy Class Seat to Hawaii?

Unfortunately not likely to be able to fly first class, so...looking for opinions as to best metal/seats from west coast (LAX or SFO) to Hawaii. Preference is flying into OGG, out via HNL but could do in reverse, or HNL outbound/inbound. Seat room/comfort is more of a priority than meal or entertainment quality. Right now I've got United's E+ seats on 767 as best choice. (Note that Exit rows may not be an option.) Flights would be first half of June 2010.

Corollary: Looking for opinions as to best 3rd party booking engine for flights and/or hotels (or packages) to Hawaii, after the airlines' own sites of course.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA
For comfort, yes United's E+ seat would be best for leg room etc. However, as of now, one of DL's LAX-OGG flights is operated by a 763, and while they don't have the leg room in the back, they all should have the new IFE. Same also goes for one of the HNL flights out of LAX and the HNL flight out of SLC, they should all have the new IFE. Also, if you want to go a little bit out of your way, you could do DL to MSP on a 333, but I would say the 76 is better.

Just my 2c
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It really depends how much you value legroom vs. IFE.

To me IFE is in the category of "nice" (particularly if it has a moving map), but United Economy Plus is in the "absolutely essential couldn't imagine doing without it" category.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Best Fare

Yes, an exit row or UA E+ would be nice. . .but if you can't get that and if you don't care about inseat IFE or plane type (a widebody vs. narrow) and HA and CO would still give you some comp food in Y (that could be another consideration perhaps??) Given those variables and how important they are for you on a 5 hour flight -- then I would go with the best fare $$. Because in economy the pitch and seat are going to be the same for anybody's metal from the west coast to the islands. Just mho. Good luck!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
On the packages part, depending on how long you're looking to stay, Pleasant Holidays is offering a 3 day package for around $221 (fare +car rental). If you want to you can extend your stay for longer. And you can combine with one of their partner hotels.

Look on the main mileage run deals page. Pat89389 usually posts the deal every week with the price all in.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I honestly have to say that this really boils down to what you value when you fly. For me, it's really IFE over leg room; most people disagree with me. HA has probably the best food; I would want to avoid CO and the 738, (real pity as it used to be a 764) but that's just me. So, my 2c are, IFE: Delta, Legroom: United, Food: Hawaiin.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If you don't mind flying from OAK... AS operates an OAK-OGG flight and their coach is not too bad. IFE and food are not free, but use relatively new 73H's and the leather seats have adjustable headrests ^ The meals are usually pretty good - with a Hawaiian Flair, and if you want to splurge the 'day of flight' on this route one can upgrade to F for $100 if F is not full (from paid F tickets & elite upgrades - since its not from a hub- probably a higher chance IMO)

But if you can avoid a connection in HNL... I would take the N/S into OGG vs. one that changes A/C in HNL.

But AS does not fly HNL-Bay Area or So Cal
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
I honestly have to say that this really boils down to what you value when you fly. For me, it's really IFE over leg room; most people disagree with me. HA has probably the best food; I would want to avoid CO and the 738, (real pity as it used to be a 764) but that's just me. So, my 2c are, IFE: Delta, Legroom: United, Food: Hawaiin.
Probably because you can always bring your own IFE...but you can't bring more leg room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.