Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian now using the old Aloha gates at HNL for mainlaind flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian now using the old Aloha gates at HNL for mainlaind flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cblaisd

. . . there is hardly room in the high 50s gates for folks getting on an inter-island plane. It's gonna be a mess with a 767-load of people bunched around the jetway.
Very true. The boarding process for the 717s is frequently a zoo, so I can only imagine the scene that will result from trying it at one of those gates with 767.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:16 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curious: how did they do that in terms of the ag machine setup?
Not sure as I fly AA. All I know is that they have been done it before. Infact I've noticed the LAS redeye has departed from gate 60 the past few days.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:24 pm

Curious: how did they do that in terms of the ag machine setup?
I flew out of 60/61 on the HA4 redeye to LAX back in the DC-10 days a few times. A barrier was set up to prevent access along the windows between 59 and 60, and an ag machine was setup near the stairs that go down to 62-64.

More recently, Aloha had a similar setup at gate 54 for their mainland flights.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
What really irritated me in LIH was that go! left from a shared seating area as mainland bound flights. So flying to HNL, we were subject to ag screening. I guess that's what I get for flying go!.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I flew out of 60/61 on the HA4 redeye to LAX back in the DC-10 days a few times. A barrier was set up to prevent access along the windows between 59 and 60, and an ag machine was setup near the stairs that go down to 62-64.

More recently, Aloha had a similar setup at gate 54 for their mainland flights.
Oh yeah I remember those DC-10 days. I too did HA4 out of 60/61 often back then. I actually prefer leaving out of the interisland terminal for transpac flights instead of the hike to the Ewa concourse...not too fond of the Wiki Wiki shuttle.

I think my preference is because it is much closer to the Premier Club lounge than the Ewa gates as well as better inside-security food options.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
What really irritated me in LIH was that go! left from a shared seating area as mainland bound flights. So flying to HNL, we were subject to ag screening. I guess that's what I get for flying go!.
Noted that was kinda weird...

Was nice that it was the same terminal for one reason... my parents were flying YV to HNL and my sister and I on AS to SEA, so it was nice to see them off- (in the bizarre boarding system they have there... )
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
That's because United does the above & below wing handling... I've flown go! and hawaiian, never was a major issue to go thru ag.. throw my bag on the belt, smile, and grab it then sit near the gate counter (power plugs)
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Smile Mainland flights from inter-island terminal

Hello Flew HNL-PDX yesterday and departed from gate 60. We had to go through agricultural inspection on the way down the ramp into the seating area. They had a gate attendant moving passengers through ag inspection in boarding order so as to not overfill the limited waiting area. It didn't work too badly and it was much more convenient for us since we were coming from Kona. I hope to use the inter-island terminal for mainland connections to PDX all the time.

Another mainland flight left gate 61 just before our departure, but I didn't note it's destination.

Don
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HNL
HA has operated the widebody trans pacific flights from gates 60/61 in the past - so they've dealt with the Ag Inspection issue before.
Correct! Its must to be inspections all checked bags prior to ticket counter check-in. You will leave from ticket counter after you will drop the bags. Then you will go through at checkpoint include of screening the bags at ticket counter. I know where TSA is already scanners the bags through CTX-9000DSi. I know where the baggage screening system from ticket counter and will be loads onto the aircraft. I know where the special x-ray machines near the ticket counter only for agricultural inspections.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Correct! Its must to be inspections all checked bags prior to ticket counter check-in. You will leave from ticket counter after you will drop the bags. Then you will go through at checkpoint include of screening the bags at ticket counter. I know where TSA is already scanners the bags through CTX-9000DSi. I know where the baggage screening system from ticket counter and will be loads onto the aircraft. I know where the special x-ray machines near the ticket counter only for agricultural inspections.
You are completely missing HNL's point. He is saying that his HNL-PDX flight left from the interisland terminal. It has nothing to do with inspection at the ticket counter or prior to it.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (slippahs' iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Was walking on the commuter terminal tarmac just now and saw three HA heavies on the mauka side if the terminal.

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 15, 2008 at 10:12 pm
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (slippahs' iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Was walking on the commuter terminal tarmac just now and saw three HA heavies on the mauka side if the terminal.
I hope it was to catch island air.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I hope it was to catch island air.
No... But it was to fly a $5 per person mistake fare on go! (sticking it to them).

Realized after posting that there were actually three heavies at the interisland terminal. On return today, noticed three again. So they're really utilizing the interisland terminal for those Mainland flights!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I watched them board one of those the other day. It was pretty efficient, but still it was pretty crowded in, as HA oddly refers to it, the "holding area" around the Starbucks.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:41 am

I watched them board one of those the other day. It was pretty efficient, but still it was pretty crowded in, as HA oddly refers to it, the "holding area" around the Starbucks.
After just experiencing this, my personal opinion is that this is the stupidest setup ever. They are creating a double queue for flights. First go through ag screening by row number, then wait near your gate(where there is limited to no seating unless you get gate 61), then queue up again to board by row number. Alohas ag setup was better, you went through ag screening in the boarding quene. On top of this, they did the ag screening for flt 18 and flt 36 at the same time. I guess it cuts down on the crowds if you're leaving from a gate that doesn't really have a waiting area, but the i/i terminal is certainly not setup for this very well. I would have much preferred to walk to the Ewa concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.