Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to Sdy on Hawaiian Air

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum,AA,NW,HA,Hyatt Gold
LAX to Sdy on Hawaiian Air

I just completed a round trip to Sydney on HA. I flew F class, which they call a business class fare.

First what went right. The service on the flight was excellent. I was impressed with the friendly flight crew, they were always there to help and serve. The food on the flights were of excellent quality and portions. The flight out was on time and uneventful. The first class seats were standard first class seats. I found them to be comfortable. In Sydney First class is given a pass to the Air New Zeeland Lounge, very nice.

Some things to improve on. When checking in at LAX the First class passengers had to check in with the coach class. There was only one line for the Sydney passengers to check in and the line was long and slow. Get there early. The check in at Sydney doesn't open untill 6:30 PM so plan your time accordingly. The flight from HNL to Lax was delayed for 3 hours because of a mechanical problem but no one told the passengers via the intercom, so you had to check at the desk or with other passengers to find out what was going on. Also they were slow in posting it on the monitors.

I had a chance to discuss this flight with the crew and they like this route but don't think it will survive, due to the new Qantas flight out of HNL

I would definately fly HA again to Sydney. All in all it was a good experience.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Nice to hear that the Sydney service is very good! Quite unfortunate about your HNL-LAX delay. I'm guessing that you were on board one of the infamous ex-LTU jets.

As much as I would not like to hear of such, I would have to side with the crew regarding the survivability of the HNL-SYD route for Hawaiian. Currently the flight is being supported by interisland and very little mainland connecting traffic. Hawaiian hasn't extended their connecting services beyond their West Coast gateways or within Australia. A codeshare arrangement with Virgin Blue could really come in handy.

All in all, the service is Hawaiian style and all the best!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:48 pm
CG

I've got 3 first award seats booked for Nov from HNL-SYD, does anyone know what happens if they cancel the route before then? Do they have to get you on another airline, or do they just redeposit your miles and you're out of luck? I've got a lot of non-refundable reservations that I would hate to lose.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by CG
I've got 3 first award seats booked for Nov from HNL-SYD, does anyone know what happens if they cancel the route before then? Do they have to get you on another airline, or do they just redeposit your miles and you're out of luck? I've got a lot of non-refundable reservations that I would hate to lose.
They'll likely try to rebook you, then if not possible, give you back your miles. It's all rumors, however. I wouldn't put my money on it.

Me or any of my family members always have just a horrible time checking in at LAX. One of the reasons why I don't fly HA domestically anymore.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:15 pm

i wouldn't worry about your miles. i'm sure that ha will make good. write back here if you have a problem for how to get help.

if they change that route, they would seemingly do it right away, as i believe we are now in low season to syd. it will pick up again in the late fall.

just a reminder to those planning on flying to syd. to my knowlege, ha and sq are spraying the sealed and a/c off planes with permythrum while you choke onboard, upon arrival. nz has a different arrangement and the planes are sprayed before passengers board, prior to departure. i suggest a $59 hood if you don't like breathing concentrated bug spray.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Was this a paid fare? And if so, may I ask how much, and how it compared to QF on this route? QF skybeds on the non-stop LAX-SYD are fantastic in biz. I'd have a hard time thinking that HA domestic F seats would measure up.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by channa
Was this a paid fare? And if so, may I ask how much, and how it compared to QF on this route? QF skybeds on the non-stop LAX-SYD are fantastic in biz. I'd have a hard time thinking that HA domestic F seats would measure up.
agree on that. ha first is better than their economy -- that's about all you can say.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by hwk1948
I just completed a round trip to Sydney on HA. I flew F class, which they call a business class fare.

First what went right. The service on the flight was excellent. I was impressed with the friendly flight crew, they were always there to help and serve. The food on the flights were of excellent quality and portions. The flight out was on time and uneventful. The first class seats were standard first class seats. I found them to be comfortable. In Sydney First class is given a pass to the Air New Zeeland Lounge, very nice.

Some things to improve on. When checking in at LAX the First class passengers had to check in with the coach class. There was only one line for the Sydney passengers to check in and the line was long and slow. Get there early. The check in at Sydney doesn't open untill 6:30 PM so plan your time accordingly. The flight from HNL to Lax was delayed for 3 hours because of a mechanical problem but no one told the passengers via the intercom, so you had to check at the desk or with other passengers to find out what was going on. Also they were slow in posting it on the monitors.

I had a chance to discuss this flight with the crew and they like this route but don't think it will survive, due to the new Qantas flight out of HNL

I would definately fly HA again to Sydney. All in all it was a good experience.

Thanks for your report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.