Search

weighing carry on-

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
weighing carry on for Interisland flt?

Is HA weighing your 22" carry on suitcase when you arrive at the gate? I know the limit is 25 LBS. I've never had them weigh mine in the past but we have an interisland trip, ogg-koa, coming up soon.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 25, 2022 at 10:49 pm
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by philemer
Is HA weighing your 22" carry on suitcase when you arrive at the gate? I know the limit is 25 LBS. I've never had them weigh mine in the past but we have an interisland trip, ogg-koa, coming up soon.
Never had any carry ons weighted while flying HA ever and as recently as a few weeks ago. Flights are all so poorly delayed anyway (mostly due to the runway construction at HNL) that gate agents are just trying to turn the planes as fast as they can.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Judging from some of the bags I see going down the aisle, you’d probably be ok with a 24” roller with the expansion zipped open, as long as you can lift it to the bin and somehow stuff it in.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Great responses. Any delays at OGG or KOA?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Is it even possible to have a delay at KOA?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The runway delay problem is a matter of compounding delays for flights transiting to/from HNL, and of course all HA aircraft make numerous trips to/from HNL including those originating from OGG/KOA.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I don’t think I’ve had an evening flight on time in the last couple of months. Sometimes it’s a matter of standing by for an “earlier” flight that ends up leaving around when the original flight was scheduled. Mornings are better but delays build through the day.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly interisland quite frequently. I would say the on time flights far outnumber the delayed flights. My outbound flights originate in HNL usually late morning or early afternoon and my returns always in the evening. Evenings have a slightly higher rate of delay but on times still far outnumber the delayed.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Back to the OP's question, I did in fact have an agent weigh my carry on bag at the check-in counter. I had one bag to check and one carry-on item. He checked my bag and then said, "I need to weigh your carry on bag". My carry on bag was only 15 lbs (shocked the heck out of the agent). But he didn't know that if it was more than 25 lbs, he would have had to go and retrieve my regular bag. I actually emailed a complaint with his name on it to HA and I refused to fly them for several years (they lost about $3K because of the agent's antics). My tolerance for foolishness is low...

Of course, when I got to the gate, everyone was dragging full sized suitcases on the plane...
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Back to the OP's question, I did in fact have an agent weigh my carry on bag at the check-in counter.... Of course, when I got to the gate, everyone was dragging full sized suitcases on the plane...
Assuming you aren't Kamaʻaina, I'd guess that locals get treated better than tourists.

I have had my carryon weighed a few times. Once I was overweight from HNL to LIH and had to check it, but I don't recall paying anything so it wasn't just about revenue generation.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Back to the OP's question, I did in fact have an agent weigh my carry on bag at the check-in counter. I had one bag to check and one carry-on item. He checked my bag and then said, "I need to weigh your carry on bag". My carry on bag was only 15 lbs (shocked the heck out of the agent). But he didn't know that if it was more than 25 lbs, he would have had to go and retrieve my regular bag. I actually emailed a complaint with his name on it to HA and I refused to fly them for several years (they lost about $3K because of the agent's antics). My tolerance for foolishness is low...

Of course, when I got to the gate, everyone was dragging full sized suitcases on the plane...
I'm confused, you refused to fly the airline because they weighed your carry-on? And if it had been more than 25 lbs you would have made them get the bag back that you already checked? What would be the purpose of that? And all those other people at the gate probably didn't go to the counter outside security. In the last 2.5 years my carry on has only been weighed one time at the gate and they went around and weighed everyones. I'm a local with too many flights to count over the past 2.5 years living on the islands.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
I'm confused, you refused to fly the airline because they weighed your carry-on? And if it had been more than 25 lbs you would have made them get the bag back that you already checked? What would be the purpose of that? And all those other people at the gate probably didn't go to the counter outside security. In the last 2.5 years my carry on has only been weighed one time at the gate and they went around and weighed everyones. I'm a local with too many flights to count over the past 2.5 years living on the islands.
No, it was the way the agent handled it and the fact that they were letting people on the plane with huge bags that weighed more than 25 lbs at athe gate (they were no weighting at the gate).

I have NO problem with consistency. if you weigh at the front counter, you should weigh at the gate. PERIOD.

And the agent was clearly trying to collect another bag fee. He put my other bag on the belt while he weighed my carry-on. So, there was no way that I could have switched anything to the checked bag that I gladly paid for. I don't play games in my business. I don't expect airline agents to play games either. Honestly, I flew AA in the interim because I've never had such an experience with them, even though the flight itself was decidedly more generic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.