Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA contemplating earlier flights to HNL from neighbor islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Heard HA is thinking of parking interisland planes overnight on outer islands in order to provide earlier flights to HNL. Union has issues with no interisland pilot bases on outer islands, so HNL-based crews will be required to overnight to operate early flights back to HNL. Currently, all interisland planes return to HNL for the night.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 31, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:41 am
azj

They're not contemplating it, they're doing it with the June 1st schedule change. You'll notice the first flights of the day from the neighbor islands all leave at 6am now.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

6am flight OGG-HNL last Wednesday was packed. I've occasionally desired an early flight for various reason, and I guess so did others.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
6am flight OGG-HNL last Wednesday was packed. I've occasionally desired an early flight for various reason, and I guess so did others.
You might be surprised how many Hawaiian Airlines employees live in Maui and work at HNL - they will always ultimately fill the plane.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You might be surprised how many Hawaiian Airlines employees live in Maui and work at HNL - they will always ultimately fill the plane.
A HA A330 pilot (HNL base) bought my house on Maui. A FedEx (SFO base - talk about a commute) pilot is probably buying the 3 acres I split off from my original 5. And next door to them is a Life Flight pilot. A regular pilots slum just below Makawao...
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I regularly hear of people who have issues with important appointments (eg immigration, medical) that are scheduled for times like 8am in HNL. Even with a 6am flight, they're still hard to make!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why HA has scheduled extra A321 interisland flights HNL-OGG/KOA/LIH?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:17 am
azj

Originally Posted by Mokuea
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why HA has scheduled extra A321 interisland flights HNL-OGG/KOA/LIH?
Temporary backfill as the 717 pilot training backlog gets caught up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.