Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines Flight Returns to LAX Three Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaiian-...182403827.html

Did anyone else see this? The information doesn't seem correct -- I thought flight 33 went LAX-OGG, and not LAX-LIH. Am I wrong? And the only straight to LIH plane was, I thought, an A331 and, at least on the day I'm traveling, is flight 63, not 33. I just booked my flight to LIH, and that is my memory. They don't have the nice lie-flats, so I chose a stopover in HNL to get the A330.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:29 pm

Worst bit from my POV is that, according the report I read, it sounds like instead of rebooking passengers, HA refunded their tickets and gave them a $100 travel credit.

If I got stuck buying a new ticket at last minute rates, or had to cancel my travel, I couldn't imagine ever risking another HA trip to use that credit.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauve
Worst bit from my POV is that, according the report I read, it sounds like instead of rebooking passengers, HA refunded their tickets and gave them a $100 travel credit.

If I got stuck buying a new ticket at last minute rates, or had to cancel my travel, I couldn't imagine ever risking another HA trip to use that credit.
The report is a bit confusing:
The inconvenienced passengers were assigned to different flights and given hotel rooms. CNNreports that each traveler was refunded for the original flight and given a $100 credit for future travel.
So new flights, leaving the next day. That sounds right. But refunds plus inconvenience vouchers as well?
IDK, but with that kind of recovery, I for one would definitely book HA.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
So new flights, leaving the next day. That sounds right. But refunds plus inconvenience vouchers as well?
IDK, but with that kind of recovery, I for one would definitely book HA.
Yes, that's good. The WaPo story said nothing about rebooking, which suggested the refund was in lieu of getting them there.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...036Z/KLAX/PHOG

No way is it possible for that plane to have flown for 2500 miles. I think WaPo is reading the flight track wrong.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
$100 flight credit? IS that a joke? Seriously after a debacle like this they should be offering everyone free first class seats on a future flight of their choice. $100 is what you pay for broken IFE or a broken seat or maybe a 3-hour mechanical delay where you keep everyone waiting in the terminal.

As for the alleged refund, that wasn't optional. When you fail to provide the service that was contracted, a refund is mandatory.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:40 am
azj

Guests were given refunds, rebooked on future flights, given $100, meal vouchers and hotel rooms for the night. As for the news reports, including the WaPo, they've pretty much all reported the story inaccurately.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
REBOOKED ON FUTURE FLIGHTS ANDDDDDDD REFUNDED read carefully...
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Boraxo
$100 flight credit? IS that a joke? Seriously after a debacle like this they should be offering everyone free first class seats on a future flight of their choice. $100 is what you pay for broken IFE or a broken seat or maybe a 3-hour mechanical delay where you keep everyone waiting in the terminal.

As for the alleged refund, that wasn't optional. When you fail to provide the service that was contracted, a refund is mandatory.
The idea of compensation for more than $100 for this type of debocale is a very UA-centric thought process. HA is simply not generous when it comes to compensation for inconveniences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.