Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

2017 onwards - Consolidated "Standby for HA Inter-island flights?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Can I standby for an HA inter-island flight for no extra fees if I arrive at the airport early? Assuming seats are available of course. It used to be a common practice.

Mahalo

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 31, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:30 pm

As far as I know, it's restricted to Pualani premier members. I was once traveling on a HA leg that was part of a UA ticket, they wouldn't let me standby on an earlier flight until I mentioned that I was HA gold and gave my number to put on the ticket.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 31, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
No free (earlier) rides, regardless of service class. That is, unless they are very busy/overbooked/etc. Doesn't hurt to ask at desk fronting gates.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by eeflyer
As far as I know, it's restricted to Pualani premier members. I was once traveling on a HA leg that was part of a UA ticket, they wouldn't let me standby on an earlier flight until I mentioned that I was HA gold and gave my number to put on the ticket.
Yes for elites, and also for tickets purchased through a corporate account. AFAIK that's about it for free standby.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:53 am

Here is the answer at Hawaiian Airlines website:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...island-flights
Old May 8, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The policy really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those flights operate more like bus service between the islands.

It would be good business to get people out of the terminal and on to their destinations as soon as they can in the event of irrops or weather. I often give myself a few hours if I need to go interisland from the mainland and end up sitting in the terminal waiting for at least an hour when flights are leaving that aren't necessarily full.

I do understand there is a cost involved if the pax have checked bags, but they could charge a small fee to cover that.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The policy really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those flights operate more like bus service between the islands.

It would be good business to get people out of the terminal and on to their destinations as soon as they can in the event of irrops or weather. I often give myself a few hours if I need to go interisland from the mainland and end up sitting in the terminal waiting for at least an hour when flights are leaving that aren't necessarily full.

I do understand there is a cost involved if the pax have checked bags, but they could charge a small fee to cover that.
I agree with this as well. There may be logistical reasons as to why they do not allow this, but I would have thought that it'd make more sense to try to load planes at a higher capacity earlier in the day to leave room for issues that may come up later. To be fair, AS also isn't willing to move folks to an earlier flight without paying $25 or qualifying for a SDC
Old May 9, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

It would be good business to get people out of the terminal and on to their destinations as soon as they can in the event of irrops or weather.
Well - it does give the elites a documented perk - and Hawaiian isn't exactly a great program for elite fliers, in my opinion.

And while it may seem like bus service, different flights during the day have a different cost per seat depending on load, peak travel time, etc. I would suspect the revenue mgmt people would also argue this policy helps revenue by not having people buy seats late in the day when they are cheaper and showing up earlier when the seats would have been more expensive.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

That does make sense. But it could even the load if they would charge an average rate for all the seats, of course based upon revenue management, so they don't have a gate area full of jet lagged people waiting for their flight.

It makes no sense making people sit and wait when there are empty seats. I know that I can get a free same day standby on UA. Why I can't get it on HA has me shaking my head.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:31 pm

It makes no sense making people sit and wait when there are empty seats. I know that I can get a free same day standby on UA. Why I can't get it on HA has me shaking my head.
UA rules allow SDC under certain conditions, and SDC is free for elite flyers:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...daychange.aspx

Kind of just like HA operates...
Old May 9, 2017, 2:37 pm

Well, I'm a lowly silver and have been able to change my flights for free at 24 hours. But the last time I tried (summer 16) I was in F.

But I'm certain I changed the flights for free. Things may have changed since then and I wasn't paying attention.

But I maintain that HA, and Aloha before them, are essentially operating a bus service and really can't be compared to other airlines, at least for interisland. For mainland & Int'l flights, I have no issue. It's only interisland.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:28 pm

Well, I'm a lowly silver and have been able to change my flights for free at 24 hours. But the last time I tried (summer 16) I was in F.

But I'm certain I changed the flights for free. Things may have changed since then and I wasn't paying attention.

But I maintain that HA, and Aloha before them, are essentially operating a bus service and really can't be compared to other airlines, at least for interisland. For mainland & Int'l flights, I have no issue. It's only interisland.
Actually, they are operating a business, and are charged with maximizing shareholder value. Thus, a change fee for non-elites.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:56 am

But I maintain that HA, and Aloha before them, are essentially operating a bus service and really can't be compared to other airlines, at least for interisland.
Is DC-NYC also a bus service? Or NYC-Boston or Chicago-Indianapolis or Seattle-Portland or any of the other routes elsewhere that are comparable to at least the longer interisland routes?
Old May 10, 2017, 6:20 am

I can't speak to the shuttles, but yes, if they are operating as a bus service, and going out several times an hour or on the hour, IMHO, constitutes bus service, and they should just take all comers with valid tickets.

I'm not getting all this pushback for my opinion to bring it back the way it was because I think it's absurd. No more, no less. I'm not pushing back at anyone for thinking it's OK to charge to standby.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:51 pm

I'm not pushing back at anyone for thinking it's OK to charge to standby.
Fair enough. My guess is that they don't do it because of some combination of IT inadequacy and GA workload, but they handle pretty significant standby lists already, and it couldn't be that hard to collect payment information away from the gate so that it wouldn't slow GAs down at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.