Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines HNL-JFK service" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines HNL-JFK service" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is really strange - so the aircraft arrives at the main terminal, but they send bags to the inter-island terminal to claim? I don't understand the logic for doing it this way.
The interisland terminal is where all of HA's facilities are, including baggage, so it's easiest for them to do it that way. But since the gates there are too small for the A330, they can't park the plane there. It really isn't a big deal; they usually park at one of the gates closest to the interisland terminal, so the walk to the interisland baggage claim isn't much different from the walk to the main baggage claim.

If you don't check any bags, you can exit at the main terminal baggage claim, but be aware that if someone is picking you up, the road signs for "Hawaiian Airlines arrivals" will direct them to the interisland terminal.

Also be aware that for your return flight, check-in and bag drop will be at the interisland terminal. Though if you don't have any bags, you can check in online and go through security at the main terminal.

The new Mauka Concourse, when it's done in a few years, will include A330 capable gates in the interisland terminal. So they will be able to reduce their use of the main terminal.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:29 am
azj

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does the JFK flight consistently arrive at, and depart from the Inter-island terminal, or is it a mix of main and inter-island terminals depending on gate assignments?
JFK consistently departs and arrives from the overseas terminal. In that terminal, HA primarily uses gates 24-34, but also certain gates in the central concourse, usually gates between 17-23 and in the rare overflow situation, HA will use gates 12-13. The state controls the gates and assigns them daily, all are common use. This terminal is officially called Terminal 1, but the moniker has failed to catch on.

T2 is what is most commonly known as the "inter-island" terminal, because when it was built in the early 90s, it housed Hawaiian and Aloha's inter-island flights. It was purpose built for two inter-island carriers, with everything split into two. Since the unfortunate demise of Aloha, HA has taken over the entire terminal and has centralized is check-in and bag drop. HA has adapted its current operation to the set-up but behind the scenes it is less than ideal.

One can't really call it "inter-island"anymore because on a daily basis 767s will depart and arrive from gates 57, 59 and 61. Occasionally 54 will be used. This gate, is the only 330 equipped gate in T2 and is generally only used for the inter-island segments the plane operates like the seasonal HNL-KOA and KOA-HNL on Saturday and Tuesdays.

Long story short, with only 1 gate able to handle the 330 in T2, the odds are slim you'll depart/arrive there.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Kumulani
There is a pay lounge at JFK T5, Airspace. None of the other US airlines give lounge access for flying F on domestic flights, so HA isn't out of line with the competition here.
Alaska does.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Alaska does.
Good point, I forgot that. Their international network is tiny though, so unlike the other carriers they can't reserve the lounges for that.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:23 am

First Class JFK/HNL Questions

As my user name suggests, we are not a family of frequent fliers. We fly once or twice a year for vacation and/or to visit family. For next year's vacation, we are looking at Hawaii to celebrate my 40th birthday, and I'm considering splurging on first class for this long flight. We would be looking at traveling in March or April to coincide with our daughter's break from school. I do not eat meat, so do not want to pay a lot for a flight where I won't be able to eat the meal, and I recall reading somewhere that HA does not offer the ability to specify a vegetarian meal when booking. Is this true? Alternatively, are there other airlines that I should be looking into that offer direct JFK/HNL service?

Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by NotAFreqFlyer
As my user name suggests, we are not a family of frequent fliers. We fly once or twice a year for vacation and/or to visit family. For next year's vacation, we are looking at Hawaii to celebrate my 40th birthday, and I'm considering splurging on first class for this long flight. We would be looking at traveling in March or April to coincide with our daughter's break from school. I do not eat meat, so do not want to pay a lot for a flight where I won't be able to eat the meal, and I recall reading somewhere that HA does not offer the ability to specify a vegetarian meal when booking. Is this true? Alternatively, are there other airlines that I should be looking into that offer direct JFK/HNL service?

Thank you!
You can't pre-reserve a vegetarian meal, though there are often vegetarian options on the menu. The only other year-round nonstop service from the NYC area is EWR-HNL on United.

Last edited by Kumulani; Feb 17, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by NotAFreqFlyer

Thank you!
There have been seasonal Delta nonstops beteeen HNL and JFK. Not sure of their schedule.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:18 pm

If you want to check the current offerings for first class JFK-HNL check this link: https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our...s/new-york-jfk. The first class menus are shown below those of the main cabin. It appears that there are a few veggie options in the current menu. However, the menus change roughly every 6-9 months and there's no guarantee what they will be offering on your flight. The first class seats on these flights are "lie flat" and that comfort level alone is worth the splurge if you are able to do it. Of course that is just my opinion and yours may differ.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
There have been seasonal Delta nonstops beteeen HNL and JFK. Not sure of their schedule.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! It runs for a very short period of time over the holidays. This year it looks like it's running December 20th to Jan 2nd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.