Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Sitges Gay Pride 2010 (July 9-11, 2010) GAYLA!!! - & Pre-Do at Mykonos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitges Gay Pride 2010 (July 9-11, 2010) GAYLA!!! - & Pre-Do at Mykonos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dugknight
Wow, this does sound like an incredible time. Looks like a difficult trip on AA, but that could be half the fun.
Agreed. It's going to be a bit of a puzzle putting this one together, but it's going to be so worth it.

I'm thinking of doing an open jaw US-Athens, Barcelona-US.

I've found a one-way ticket Mykonos-Athens-Barcelona on Aegean Airlines for 200 Euro on the 9th that leaves Mykonos at 7am(ouch) and gets us in to BCN at 11am.

As far as hotels in Mykonos go, there are so many choices. Last year I stayed at the Mykonos Grand which was unbelievable, but may be a bit too straight for this crowd. There's always the Elysium hotel, which is the classic gay hotel on the island. It's close to the town, but a brutal uphill walk. However, it has great sunset parties and overall fun vibe.

Last edited by justforfun; Nov 23, 2009 at 11:11 am
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I <heart> Mykonos!, and now really crossing fingers my July project gets pushed to August.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I will definitely want to join in on the fun!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
What's the best way to get from ATH to Mykonos?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:38 pm

I found an open jaw out of LAX for $1427 AI. That's not as bad as I thought. This could be feasible for me. I wish I knew some of you or had met some in person, but I guess I need to do something like this to meet people!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by dugknight
What's the best way to get from ATH to Mykonos?
Aegean Airlines. Less than an hour flight. Unlike Olympic, they have newer jets. High speed ferry takes a good part of the day, but has some scenic elements.

Keep in mind that (sometimes only once a week) you can also fly low-cost carriers direct to JMK from Berlin, London & Amsterdam, etc.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
I've found a one-way ticket Mykonos-Athens-Barcelona on Aegean Airlines for 200 Euro on the 9th that leaves Mykonos at 7am(ouch) and gets us in to BCN at 11am.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Aegean Airlines. Less than an hour flight. Unlike Olympic, they have newer jets. High speed ferry takes a good part of the day, but has some scenic elements.

Keep in mind that (sometimes only once a week) you can also fly low-cost carriers direct to JMK from Berlin, London & Amsterdam, etc.
I found an easyJet flight on 7/7 for around 70 euros that doesn't leave Mykonos THAT early. It's a 3pm flight connecting in MXP. Yeah, I know, it's a LCC and no miles, but those flights shouldn't be more than one hour long and the good thing, it's not in the wee hours of the AM, so least likely to miss the flight. I know some of the people here wouldn't even consider flying Y, just saying...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The question is when do you want to get to Sitges. Do you want to get there on the 9th when the GAYLA begins, or earlier to spend a day or two in Barcelona beforehand. Obviously everyone can do their own thing and we overlap when we overlap.

So far what I'm envisioning for myself(but open to adjustments) is:

2 nights Athens 7/3-7/5(leaving the US on 7/2)
4 nights Mykonos 7/5-7/9
3 nights Sitges 7/9-7/12
1 month detox and poverty

I don't plan on spending any nights in BCN. I was lucky enough to get an AA award ticket for the return on 7/12.

As others have mentioned, to get to Mykonos you can either take the highspeed ferry or a flight. Right now the flights at a decent time are pricing out at an annoying 130 Euros, while the ferry is 40 Euros and only takes 2.5 hours.

I was hoping to find a LCC directly from Mykonos to BCN, but no such luck. That would have been nice. As much as I hate the thought of a 7am flight to get from JMK to BCN, and in coach no less, the only upside is that we don't lose a day travelling.

dragonfirebcn, do you want us to start a new Pre-Sitges Mykonos thread? I feel like we're inappropriately hijacking this one.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun
dragonfirebcn, do you want us to start a new Pre-Sitges Mykonos thread? I feel like we're inappropriately hijacking this one.
Feel free to hijack it. Even if I can't go to Mykonos because I'll be working, I will never complain about pre-party arrangements (but it is very sad that you all will be partying behind my back while I'm visiting the queen of engalnd)

If the mod wouldn't hate me so much right now because of the dot-bomb comments I made on a status update in the other very popular social network website, I'd even ask him to rename the thread to include proper pre-party indications!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
If the mod wouldn't hate me so much right now because of the dot-bomb comments I made on a status update in the other very popular social network website, I'd even ask him to rename the thread to include proper pre-party indications!
Done (or will be in a second) - believe me we're all pretty disgusted with the site right now.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:45 pm

Justforfun, you are starting in NY so that's much easier than LA. I will be EXP next week, or when the next round of dbl miles post so I'm planning on using 2 SWUs on this one, how about you?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Done (or will be in a second) - believe me we're all pretty disgusted with the site right now.
Thanks!!!!

...but my comment was about the other mod, the one that doesn't use FT, and some discussion we had about the .bomb website in the other social network of use
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

As I already know that some people has their award tickets & hotels booked, I'm starting a confirmed attendees list. Please let me know when I can move you to the good list!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:08 pm

meFIRST +1 (to be confirmed)

The bf may not be able to attend, but I could certainly go.

For those of you going to JMK, avoid Olympic Airlines at all costs.
Aegean is the way to go. Delighful airline - I think they are *A.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:12 am

Miss Dragon, can you put me +1 as a 'may be', bitte?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.