Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Gay Pride

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
NYC Gay Pride

Just curious what FTers will be in NYC this weekend for Pride. Should be a great weekend- 40th Anniversary of Stonewall and, hopefully, great weather.

Fuerza Bruta is having a special "Pride" performance on Saturday and was thinking about doing that before going out. Anyone ever been?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:01 pm

I'll be there. Just leaving for the airport in minutes. I bought tickets for the "We Can" party Saturday night, the Pier Dance, and Alegria. Also, I have some fun, private parties to attend.

Will be at Barrage this evening with friends.

Happy Pride everybody!!!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:17 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Sadly I won't be in NYC this weekend. I've been there the last two years and it's been awesome! Have fun everyone!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
We'll be in Saturday evening. Cocktails at Posh, then theater at 8 (The Tempermentals). Not sure yet where we're going after the theater (maybe the Eagle).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I will try to be in NYC on Saturday night arriving via train from Washington DC. I'll be staying in NYC for Pride on Sunday. I am tempted to go to the Love Ball at the Nokia Theater but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the event. Has anyone been to previous The Saint/Love Balls?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:43 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Originally Posted by pitbrian

Fuerza Bruta is having a special "Pride" performance on Saturday and was thinking about doing that before going out. Anyone ever been?
Been to Fuerza Bruta but not sure what will they do for "Pride", more rainbow color??

There are SO many parties in the city this weekend. I just don't like paying $100 or so just to get in.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
Been to Fuerza Bruta but not sure what will they do for "Pride", more rainbow color??
I went to Fuerza Bruta on Saturday. It wasn't Pride-specific, but it was their semi-regular "Boy's Night" obviously timed to coincide with Pride. My understanding is that they do modify the performance slightly to emphasize the male performers, specifically when they're sloshing around in the pool above your head. And of course the audience was predominantly gay men, although there were a lot of females there as well (accompanying the gays).

Oh, it was a lot of fun. Look for discount codes, should be $45 not the $75 full price. I think I found the Boys Night one through their Facebook page, but for regular performances you can just go to www.broadwaybox.com.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Now in serious recovery mode. Did the Love Ball at Roseland (what was up with the Will Call Line, nearly two hours). But once inside it was perfect, amazing music and crowd. Rolled out of there (in a couple of senses of the word) around 10AM and had to meet another group of friends by 1PM. So no sleep for me.

Pier Dance was also really good other than that chick that got up to sing in the middle of the two DJs (what Holiday Inn did they find her singing in). By 10, we were all so tired and some of us (including me) had really nothing to eat since the day before (unless you count gum, cigarettes, water and a protein bar as nutrion). So we left before the fireworks. Did Lady GaGA perform as rumored?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Now in serious recovery mode. Did the Love Ball at Roseland (what was up with the Will Call Line, nearly two hours). But once inside it was perfect, amazing music and crowd. Rolled out of there (in a couple of senses of the word) around 10AM and had to meet another group of friends by 1PM. So no sleep for me.

Pier Dance was also really good other than that chick that got up to sing in the middle of the two DJs (what Holiday Inn did they find her singing in). By 10, we were all so tired and some of us (including me) had really nothing to eat since the day before (unless you count gum, cigarettes, water and a protein bar as nutrion). So we left before the fireworks. Did Lady GaGA perform as rumored?
I'll second that ridiculous "will call" line at the We Can party. What a freaking disaster. ........ like that shouldn't be tolerated...especially in light of how expensive the tickets were. Obviously, it ruined everybody's buzz. I also disliked the dj that was on prior to Offer. Did anyone else see Nate Burkus - Oprah's designer? He's even cuter in person.

At the Pier Dance, nobody had even heard of the "legendary entertainer". Upon announcement, you could hear a simultaneous "Who?" across the pier. And no, Lady GaGa didn't appear. But the fireworks were the best ever.

Alegria was perfection as usual. Professional staff, great dj's, positive vibe. I hated that I had to leave at 7:30 am when Abel was just starting. Oh well, can't do them all.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Continental, US Airways, American,
I don't know why Saint/Roseland can't get their act together - had a 2 hour will call line a few years ago for the Black Party...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by trvlr70
I'll second that ridiculous "will call" line at the We Can party. What a freaking disaster. ........ like that shouldn't be tolerated...especially in light of how expensive the tickets were. Obviously, it ruined everybody's buzz. I also disliked the dj that was on prior to Offer. Did anyone else see Nate Burkus - Oprah's designer? He's even cuter in person.

At the Pier Dance, nobody had even heard of the "legendary entertainer". Upon announcement, you could hear a simultaneous "Who?" across the pier. And no, Lady GaGa didn't appear. But the fireworks were the best ever.

Alegria was perfection as usual. Professional staff, great dj's, positive vibe. I hated that I had to leave at 7:30 am when Abel was just starting. Oh well, can't do them all.
I know of some guys that actually got out of the Will Call line and then went purchased another tix in order to "keep the buzz going" (expensive proposition, $100+$140) and avoid waiting any longer. But I would have to say that party had some of the hottest guy, it was the "in" party of the weekend.

Another really dumb thing was at the Pier Dance where you had to stand in a long line to buy drink tickets, then to stand in line to purchase what every you wanted. My suggestion, offer a special tix ahead of time for an additional price that allows you unlimited water and juice. Then show the proper wrist band to an attendant at a barrell full of water and juice on ice. Saves a lot of drama for something so damn simple.

The NY Times said that Lady GaGA canceled her Friday night performance because she was sick. So I am not sure if she was set to appear and got sick or it was a typical NYC Pride rumor.

I wish I had been able to make it to Alegria. Ric Sena does know how to throw an amazing party without any of the other b..t that seems to occur at many other circuit parties.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I know of some guys that actually got out of the Will Call line and then went purchased another tix in order to "keep the buzz going" (expensive proposition, $100+$140) and avoid waiting any longer. But I would have to say that party had some of the hottest guy, it was the "in" party of the weekend.
I'm all for supporting "Jerry's Kids", but not for them working the will call line! [no offense] What a nightmare!!! On a positive note, I did meet some fun dudes in line. Misery loves company, I guess.

And why did the Alegria party have no problems what so ever with their will call? Everything was smooth and professional.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by frollo123
I don't know why Saint/Roseland can't get their act together - had a 2 hour will call line a few years ago for the Black Party...
Perhaps the promoters are forced to use the venue's staff/security. It seems Roseland is the common denominator.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Almost 24 hours in NYC: I went very last minute from Washington DC to NYC. Took the train leaving DC last Sat. at 8:45 pm and arrived at Penn Station at 12:30 am Sunday night. I ended up not participating in the circuit party thing. It wasn't for me. Now that I saw some of these posts, regarding Nokia/Loveland, I don't feel so bad not going. Instead, I went to my favorite 24 hr. Korean BarBQ restaurant in Midtown. Then I went to visit a very famous club back in the 80's that was revived called the Pyramid. They had a Michael Jackson tribute that evening. Unfortunately, they already closed when I got there at 4:30 am. I then went to this place called the West Side Club. The queue to get in snaked around the foyer area of this club. This club featured a sauna that was broken. It also had a non-existent steam room. It was a trip to also see some DC guys at the club as well. Many guys had the "look but don't touch" posture. Then it was daylight. I went to my favorite Russian cafe, the Veselka for breakfast. The highlight of my day was seeing the parade from Midtown close to the Empire State Building. I never saw so many Cuban flags and Cubanos represented in the parade, as if Stonewall also equated for them, the liberation of travel together with gay rights and hopefully one day, marriage. I also went to the festival in Greenwich Village, which was quite good, also featuring some unknown singers, all for free. The day was warm to hot. The sky was clear. All in all, I had a wonderful time. At 5ish pm that Sun. it was time to depart NYC Penn Station for the train ride home to DC, arriving back at 8:55 pm. I did not get to dance. But I did get to enjoy a pleasant stay roaming the city. 24 hours later, I felt like a zombie, also in major recovery mode but with good memories of Pride NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.