Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The one bed thread....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:00 am

Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago in August 2007: Husband checked in several days earlier while there on business and listed me so that I could get a key upon arrival. Young male desk trainee did a double-take when looking at the computer and said he'd get us a different room with 2 beds, I told him not to bother but he persisted, then not to do it as he continued to persist, and to get a manager so he could learn a lesson: "We've shared the same bed for 30 years and you are not going to break the pattern." Done!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I think that a few of these situations just depend on the check-in clerk you encounter rather than the property or even the city you are in. Obviously, there are some cultural issues with some locales.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by olafman
LAS VEGAS HILTON! I kid you not!!!

My spouse of 16 years and I booked into the Las Vegas Hilton for our anniversary and I have NEVER had so much more difficulty getting a King sized bed in my life. After many several questions going back and forth, we got the king room that I had requested. We've laughed about it many times since then.

We now live in Europe and I love visiting churches. My son loves to climb to the top of the steeples. Often there is a "family" rate. I love explaining in a Catholic church, that my partner, son and I should get a family rate. We've never been turned down either!
what questions were they asking? i'm surprised you had trouble. i stay there ALL the time. and i know one of the people there, who always takes very good care of me and my tricks. i know at least 2 or 3 of the front desk is gay.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Bangkok Westin Sukhumvit- No problem.
Phuket Le Meridien- No problem there either.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aman-i-Khas in Rajasthan, India: I was traveling with a friend. We arrived to find a large king bed in our tent. A bit later our butler came up and asked if we preferred the king or would like them to split it in to two beds. We had them split it.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 1:56 am

On a side note... London hotels

Hijacking this thread slightly.

I need to find a hotel or other accomodation that has a rather large accomodation area... large enough to host 15 squaddies having a little bit of fun. So some noise involved as well !

Size, and escaping sound levels are the prime criteria... A discrete entrance would also be very good !
Can you make suggestions ?

PS - no kidding about the 15 squaddies either !

Last edited by margusta; Mar 12, 2009 at 2:02 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by margusta
Hijacking this thread slightly.

I need to find a hotel or other accomodation that has a rather large accomodation area... large enough to host 15 squaddies having a little bit of fun. So some noise involved as well !

Size, and escaping sound levels are the prime criteria... A discrete entrance would also be very good !
Can you make suggestions ?

PS - no kidding about the 15 squaddies either !
margusta: You should start your own thread.

Back on topic, no problems at the following:

Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Hotel Bisanzio, Venice, Italy (BF checked in one day earlier)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat & many others
Scotland 2001

My partner and I booked a room (with no preference regarding to the bed/s) at a bed and breakfast on the Isle of Mull (Inner Hebrides) through the British Tourist Board in Oban, Scotland. We paid in full

Upon arriving, the owner of the farmhouse, an older man, sat us in his living room and said there was a problem: "his wife wouldn't have two men sleep in the same bed, which was all he had available. Naturally, I was furious. He called the Tourist Board, and they had him put me on the phone.

Extremely apologetic, the woman asked would I mind going to a different B&B. We were anxious to leave and not spoil our holiday any more, so we did.

The word must have gotten out... every other B&B that we stayed at on Mull treated us like royalty. It seemed that even in the restaurants they knew who we were... it was the warmest reception we got in Scotland.

I'm sure the old man and his wife are dead by now.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Roxiu
Upon arriving, the owner of the farmhouse, an older man, sat us in his living room and said there was a problem: "his wife wouldn't have two men sleep in the same bed, which was all he had available. Naturally, I was furious. He called the Tourist Board, and they had him put me on the phone.

You'll be pleased to hear that such would be illegal in the UK now, as these bigots are about to find out
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by hsmall
You'll be pleased to hear that such would be illegal in the UK now, as these bigots are about to find out
Gahd, these attitudes just make my blood boil!

Originally Posted by Pink News
Mrs Bull said: "In 26 years we have never really had a problem with it. I have found people to be very good and understanding. They realise that they are pursuing one lifestyle while we are pursuing another.

"I suppose we knew there would be problems with the new law, but I can't change my beliefs and faith because of that."
The Bulls' solicitor, Tom Ellis, said he will argue that the Equality Act infringes their human rights as Christians.
I won't even waste my breath!

Partner and I have traveled all over the world together and have almost never encountered a problem, except for...

Sheraton Towers, Cairo - They gave us two single beds very close to one another which we kept pushing together. Every day, we'd come back to find out they were separated again.

Four Seasons, Damascus - we were given two single beds and to be honest were too scared to ask for a king bed. In Syria, it's not worth taking the chance. We coped fine.

Interestingly, at the Marriott in Islamabad (the one that was bombed) and the PC Hotel in Bhurban (also in Pakistan), we shared a bed and the check-in staff didn't even bat an eyelash.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE
One place where we had an amazing experience was the Phinda Private Game Reserve in South Africa. From the planning stage via email to our welcome at the reserve, they welcomed us and took amazing care of my partner and I.

No issue with the bed, and they even created a romantic evening for us in our room, complete with the chef bringing us dinner.

Highly recommend this place, and they created an amazing environment for us (and some rooms have an outdoor shower, which is great as well!).
So glad to hear this. I think this a CC Africa property?? My partner and I, and a lesbian couple are travelling to Rwanda and Tanzania in May/June. Aside from Rwanda, all the 12 nights are booked in CC Africa properties. We had to request a double bed for both couples through our london agency that booked this (which was not a problem) but I was wondering what kind of reception we will get from staff. We are spending 4 nights at Mnemba island and were looking forward to having romantic dinners on the beach as well as the other camps we are staying at. I hope our experiences mirrors yours.

As for the original topic, the only place that I can recall having been refused a bouble bed for a male couple was in Greece, on the island of Samos. This was many years ago. My travels have included Asia, South America and Europe and no problems , ever in having one bed.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
It's especially fun to ask for double/queen king beds in south america, where they're known as "marriage beds." In Latin America there was usually a moment's hesitation until the @:-) went off, but no other issues. Boyfriend and I have had good experiences at Low-end places in Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Panama (including some places way way off the beaten track). At the other end, the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Hong Kong, the Westin St. Francis San Francisco, a few places on Ocean Drive in South Beach (duh), The Millenium New York, and the Shoreham in New York have all been great. The Nikko Resort - Bali awkwardly made us wait about ten minutes to get us a room with a king bed, which turned out to mean two huge doubles being pushed together and bridged to create a (nonetheless comfortable) super-king sized bed. Other than that the staff was great.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by hsmall
there are of course the minority-within-a-minority like my spouse and I who actually like separate beds as it gets us a better night's sleep
+1 (or is it +2?) My partner and I can't sleep together either. We still try sometimes but it only lasts until one of us smacks the other in the head.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
25 years of traveling the world with my husband, only really had a problem once. In Tulsa, Oklahoma Holiday Inn a couple of years ago. They just couldn't cope. Very uncomfortable.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Originally Posted by Roxiu
My partner and I booked a room (with no preference regarding to the bed/s) at a bed and breakfast on the Isle of Mull (Inner Hebrides) through the British Tourist Board in Oban, Scotland. We paid in full

Extremely apologetic, the woman asked would I mind going to a different B&B. We were anxious to leave and not spoil our holiday any more, so we did.

The word must have gotten out... every other B&B that we stayed at on Mull treated us like royalty. It seemed that even in the restaurants they knew who we were... it was the warmest reception we got in Scotland.

Well... depends when this happened, I remember a similar story making the headlines about five years ago. Maybe your story?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/ju...in.theobserver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.