Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Prenuptial Agreements - Gay Couples

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:10 am
Former user name: laundrian
Original Poster

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood

Yay or Nay ?

I was in a 4 years relationship, and we were married for 2 years. That prenup was the best thing that I have ever signed.

I noticed there are lots of gay couples on here who have been with each others for decades. I wonder if you have any legal agreements like this. Is it smart to invest with your partner? Or should we just keep everything separate legally since gay couples will remain strangers in the eyes of the federal government? Hey, breaking up happens all the time !!!

If you are in a long term relationship , ask yourself these questions:

* Do you and your partner have wills and/or revocable living trusts?
* Do you and your partner have an advanced health directive and durable power of attorney for health care?
* Do you and your partner have a durable power of attorney for finances?
* Do you and your partner have a domestic partnership agreement? Or, have you registered for whatever partnership rights are available in your home jurisdiction?
* Have you and your partner designated each other as beneficiaries?

If you answered "No" to most of these questions or weren't sure what that legal-mumbo-jumbo means, you should contact a lawyer
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Gay marriage is legal in the UK. ^

But prenuptual agreements aren't.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question

And with all due respect.... this has what to do with gay travel?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:24 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by david4455
And with all due respect.... this has what to do with gay travel?
Well it really isn't gay travel but it doesn't really have any other "better home" on Flyertalk.

In our case - together 12+ years - the answer is "yes" to all questions but only in the last 4 years when we finally bought a house together.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Also, a request as a mod, because it's my bugbear. If you have a problem with a post being on topic, please use the "report post" function (the red triangle under your name at left) rather than posting a query to the thread itself. Gracias.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:46 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Been in my relationship for just over 13 years.

I can answer "YES" to each of the questions below. In this day and age, it is important that gay couple protect each other if that is their intent. I have heard of too many cases where one partner is slammed out by the family when something happens to the other partner.

The one thing to make sure of... we found this out when closing on our new house here in Massachusetts. Agreements made in other states do not necessary carry over to new states. That was the case for us in moving from NY to MA.

William

Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs

If you are in a long term relationship , ask yourself these questions:

* Do you and your partner have wills and/or revocable living trusts?
* Do you and your partner have an advanced health directive and durable power of attorney for health care?
* Do you and your partner have a durable power of attorney for finances?
* Do you and your partner have a domestic partnership agreement? Or, have you registered for whatever partnership rights are available in your home jurisdiction?
* Have you and your partner designated each other as beneficiaries?

If you answered "No" to most of these questions or weren't sure what that legal-mumbo-jumbo means, you should contact a lawyer
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ajax
Gay marriage is legal in the UK. ^
Not quite. Civil unions are not marriages. Separate is never equal. The only countries with full-fledged, nationally recognized same-sex marriages so far are Belgium, Canada, The Netherlands, Spain, South Africa and Norway.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
Not quite. Civil unions are not marriages. Separate is never equal. The only countries with full-fledged, nationally recognized same-sex marriages so far are Belgium, Canada, The Netherlands, Spain, South Africa and Norway.
Yes, I suppose you're right. Actually the term is Civil Partnership. And that could be why the Beeb keeps calling them "marriages" and not marriages.

But pre-nups aren't legal anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.