Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bay of Islands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Bay of Islands

The husband and I (recognized in Cal or not) are going to HKG, BNE, and AKL in January. The swim-with-dolphins thing sounds and looks (on their web page) like fun and seems to be much better from Bay of Islands than Auckland (much greater chance* of actually swimming with them, plus maybe warmer water). Any advice, suggestions, info?

I'm thinking we'll do three days in Auckland and two in Bay of Islands. We're on OneWorld tickets so if we fly to Bay of Islands it would need to be on a separate ticket. We don't land in AKL until 10:00 PM, and the last AKL-KKE flight is 7:00 PM or something, so a connection when we get in doesn't seem workable (a shame). So maybe we should do the Auckland days first, then take a bus to Bay of Islands, then fly KKE-AKL and connect to our AKL-LAX flight home? The only hitch I guess is that, as a separate ticket, if something goes wrong we'd be on our own (e.g., the KKE-AKL flight is late or something).

So, assuming the Bay of Islands thing is a good idea, how should we get from Auckland to the Bay of Islands? A bus?

Where should we stay when we're there?

Would a separate ticket KKE-AKL to connect with our QF AKL-LAX flight be a good idea?

*When we were in Auckland almost a year ago, I was told that the swim with dolphins thing is better from Bay of Islands because the dolphins there are different, and since the tours won't put you in the water if there are any baby dolphins around, there was very little chance of getting to do so in Auckland, but a good chance in BofI. Also, there are more dolphins there, and since you get put in the water a bit away from them, so they come up to you if they want, they're more likely to do so there.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:57 pm

Definitely go to BoI, it is very scenic and there's heaps of dolphins around!
We've never done the swim-with-dolphins cruise but even on the scenic day cruises they always stop for them and you can have a swim (for a few extra dollars!). There's a few cruise operators around, they're pretty much the same AFAIK, just check what you get when booking.

I'd stay in AKL first, then take the bus to Paihia and fly back if the schedule fits.
Have a look at www.nakedbus.com for the cheapest fares.

In BoI, I'd stay in Russell rather than Paihia. January is peak season and Paihia will be full of families/kids. We've stayed at a couple of motels there and never had any issues. Have a look at www.wotif.com and also www.gayinthebay.co.nz if you want to stay a gay place.
Russell has some nice restaurants and shops and tends to be a bit more upmarket than Paihia. I'd stay there longer than in AKL unless you want to do something specific here?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
Smile

- Recommend Bay of Islands! Flights to /from KKE by ANZ 'link' and a stay at 88 Lodge, great fun and well looked after! Was there March 2007.^
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
The Bay of Islands are beautiful and a few degrees warmer than Auckland so swimming is a little more pleasant. One option for getting up there would be to rent a car, would probably take 4 hours and would allow you to see a little bit of the countryside on the way.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
*When we were in Auckland almost a year ago, I was told that the swim with dolphins thing is better from Bay of Islands because the dolphins there are different, and since the tours won't put you in the water if there are any baby dolphins around, there was very little chance of getting to do so in Auckland, but a good chance in BofI. Also, there are more dolphins there, and since you get put in the water a bit away from them, so they come up to you if they want, they're more likely to do so there.
I hate to tell you this, but when I was there, most of us on the boat went so far as to get suited up and ready to jump in the water, and at the last minute, babies were spotted and we couldn't go in. So we got another hour cruising around as a sorry.

That was April though, maybe the females are still preggers in Jaunary.

I would also suggest driving---it's not a bad drive (3 hrs?) and there was a glowworm cave not far from Paihia where you could get a personal tour.

On a forum-related note, I was surprised at the number of cars I saw in Paihia with either rainbow flags on the bumpers (or the HRC ones). I'm guessing these were weekend-ers from Auckland maybe.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarinzfin
Definitely go to BoI, it is very scenic and there's heaps of dolphins around!
We've never done the swim-with-dolphins cruise but even on the scenic day cruises they always stop for them and you can have a swim (for a few extra dollars!). There's a few cruise operators around, they're pretty much the same AFAIK, just check what you get when booking.

I'd stay in AKL first, then take the bus to Paihia and fly back if the schedule fits.

In BoI, I'd stay in Russell rather than Paihia. January is peak season and Paihia will be full of families/kids. We've stayed at a couple of motels there and never had any issues. Have a look at www.wotif.com and also www.gayinthebay.co.nz if you want to stay a gay place.
Russell has some nice restaurants and shops and tends to be a bit more upmarket than Paihia.
Thanks for the info and links!

The airport is in Kerikeri -- what's the relationship between Kerikeri, Russell, Paihia, and Bay of Islands? Is BofI a general name for the area, with Kerikeri, Russell, and Paihia small towns within the area? Would these make any difference for proximity to the dolphin tour and interesting areas to walk around in?

Where is the 88 Lodge that edinv recommended? Are there other recommended places? (We usually stay at Hiltons to take advantage of the Diamond status, but absent any, a gay place sounds nice.) We won't have a car -- is it easy to get around, or should we try and find a place to stay that is walking distance of stuff to do?
I'd stay there longer than in AKL unless you want to do something specific here?
Well, I am fond of St. Leonard's Beach and Little Palm Beach (a short but expensive ferry ride to Waiheke Island)

Last edited by anabolism; Dec 7, 2008 at 9:40 pm
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
The airport is in Kerikeri -- what's the relationship between Kerikeri, Russell, Paihia, and Bay of Islands? Is BofI a general name for the area, with Kerikeri, Russell, and Paihia small towns within the area? Would these make any difference for proximity to the dolphin tour and interesting areas to walk around in?
Yes BofI is the general name. I've actually never been to Kerikeri so can't comment on it! Kerikeri's about half an hour by car to Paihia and Russell is a very short ferry ride across from Paihia. I would definitely stay in the Paihia/Russell area.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarinzfin
That's what we're doing, thanks. Booked the flight back (a Beechwood 1900) and now working on the bus to get there. Why is it a naked bus? (I'm sure it's not as much fun as it sounds) Naked bus has a more convenient terminal, but InterCity has a better schedule (Naked only has one bus per day, and it gets in to Paihia at 8 PM). Haven't found any other bus lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.