Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

What are the best pubs and clubs in London right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best pubs and clubs in London right now?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Originally Posted by Jimmy67
S.L.A.G.S. Chill-out @Royal Vauxhall tavern
This place (Sunday only) is not for the faint of heart but it's fun and unpretentious. The cabaret bit is a giggle if you haven't seen it before, but afterwards: human carnage.

The Royal Vauxhall Tavern hosts Duckie on Saturday nights: highly recommended. Like a somewhat leftfield, trendy school disco, with outre cabaret/performance art at 11pm. The Duckie collective are funded in part by the Arts Council i believe. They have theme nights e.g "Gays knitting circle night" or "David Cameron is an idiot night". It sounds pretentious, but it isn't at all.

Down the road there is also Horse Meat Disco @ The Eagle every Sunday (6pm to 3 am i think): an alternative "tea dance" place to spend time with your mates if you don't have to work on Monday! Attracts everyone from leather guys, bears, muscle circuit boys, drag queens, arty geeks, students, chavs
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by bazzatel
This place (Sunday only) is not for the faint of heart but it's fun and unpretentious. The cabaret bit is a giggle if you haven't seen it before, but afterwards: human carnage.

The Royal Vauxhall Tavern
Vauxhall is like Fort Worth to Dallas...or better yet... Tacoma to Seattle
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Vauxhall is like Fort Worth to Dallas...or better yet... Tacoma to Seattle
Ha! You then have never been to Fire or any of the many other dance clubs in vauxhall on a weekend. SoHo is more like Vauxhall-lite. Try again and soon.

As to the RVT on a Sunday the show is fun once. Get there by 2pm if its nice out to insure entrance and leave for a few hours. Show starts at 5 (sometimes). After, as bazzatel stated it is "Humane carnage". But I have had some of my most interesting evenings there.

rich
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bazzatel
This place (Sunday only) is not for the faint of heart but it's fun and unpretentious.
Start with 2 DJs from Gaydar Radio (Sean Sirrs and Simon LeVan), add one DJ formerly of Almighty Records (Andy Almighty), and stir well with one of the most talented cabaret acts anywhere (The D.E. Experience) and it can be a LOT of fun. The show is as much vaudville-ish as anything.

Tip #1 - Arrive early or you may spend the entire show outside in a queue.
Tip #2 - Bring earplugs because it can be loud.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold/ Hilton Gold/ SPG Gold/ PriorityClub Platinum /Marriot Gold/ Amex Plat
And if you want to try a few places away from the epi-centres in Soho and Vauxhall then definitely worth a look are the George and Dragon on Hackney Road followed by the Joiners Arms, also on Hackney Road. Both fun, attracts a mixed crowd, G&D very funky artsy crowd, friendly place and gets rammed to the rafters on Friday and Saturday nights. Joiners Arms is more spit and sawdust but in a good way. Again is friendly, cheesy music and good drinks.
Hackney Road is best reached by going to Old St and walking 10 mins, all zone 1 on the top end of the city. In the area are also ton's of very good mixed but gay friendly bars on Hoxton Square, Shoreditchm, Curtain Road and Great Eastern St. You can't walk more than 30 seconds without finding somewhere different and fun. Some great nights at Bar Music Hall and also at the Hoxton Bar and Grill at the weekends...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Good God those G-A-Y people own everything!
If "those G-A-Y people" would only take over Rupert's holdings. @:-) Hey, I think the New York Times is for sale hehe. Better Yet, Caven Enterprises (Station 4) in Dallas is one of the worst run clubs in the nation sure wished they would buy them out.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Any updates?

Bringing to the top for exentrus.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold/ Hilton Gold/ SPG Gold/ PriorityClub Platinum /Marriot Gold/ Amex Plat
My current favourite is The Enclave in Soho, more lounge feel, table service, nice crowd, friendly staff. It's on Brewer St a small walk up, definitely worth a try. I still like the Yard but find Village, Rupert's etc good if you want to stand and drink but Enclave is great for a more chilled evening.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ajax
May I add The Yard on Rupert Street to the list?

It's got a very chilled out and laid-back atmosphere and has the benefit of open air (not always a good thing in London though ).

I'll second The Village. They have go-go dancers on Fridays and Saturdays, and the upstairs part is very, very chilled out. You can actually have a conversation up there.
MMMM - Next time I am in London I need to check The Village out then... didn't realise it had an upstairs !
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Markie.SA
MMMM - Next time I am in London I need to check The Village out then... didn't realise it had an upstairs !
Hi Markie.SA and welcome to FT!

Yes - the upstairs at the Village is (thankfully ) one of its best-kept secrets. There are quiet a few tables and chairs but make sure you keep an eye out because they do tend to go quickly and people don't let them go for hours.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 3:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Next door to Village is the Duke Of Wellington. I think that it is one of the nicer Soho gay bars. Plus the upstairs again has plenty of tables and chairs. A good view and if you are lucky you might even get a peak of one of the performers in Les Mis across the lane in their dressing room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.