Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

What are the best pubs and clubs in London right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

I'll be in London weekend after this one. First time I've been in a couple of years where I'll have time to go to some pubs and/or clubs on Saturday or Sunday.

Thought I'd get feedback on what the best places to go are, knowing things change over the course of time.

Basically, I'm a mid-30s guy looking for a place with friendly people and preferably a mid-20s to late 30s type crowd.

As a reference from past trips... I liked G-A-Y at the Astoria (good music), but not a real big fan of the G-A-Y bar. 79CXR wasn't my thing, nor was Compton's.

Thanks!
Greg
Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Hey GregL

I live in London and go out often on the "scene" so can recommend the following

Bars/Pubs:

Barcode on Villiers St (the street looks a bit dingy but worry ye not): has just been completely refurbished (the result is rather stylish) and has a basement club area open until 2am i think. Always crowded, always fun, lots of friendly, tipsy, flirty guys. This is my favourite bar in London.

There is also a mich bigger, brasher, new(ish) Barcode in Vauxhall, the new gay epicentre just south of the Thames, but with a focus on all-night/early hours clubs.

Profile on Frith Street. Fairly new, brought to you by the millionaires who invented Gaydar. The decor is what I would describe as overkill but most of my friends love it.

They also run Lo Profile on Wardour Street - a basement "club" open until 4am. Not bad, always rammed, seemingly favoured by those who work in financw, law etc

The Edge on Soho Square - an old classic, showing it's age somewhat, 2-3 bars over 3 floors.

Rupert Street on..erm..Rupert Street - another oldie (has been open over 10 years) seems to be the warm up bar for Lo Profile. At the weekend you won't believe how crowded this place gets (as in fact do most of the above!)

The Village (Wardour Street) - another oldie (15 years old, perhaps) with videos. Busy, but more of a sit down place. In the alley running alongside is a tiny cellar bar called Friendly Society, which can be fun

The Box on Seven Dials - possibly the best place for eye-candy. Also a GREAT place for lunch/brunch

The Duke of Wellington - a new and very welcome addition of a traditional "pub" like set up, at the bottom of Old Compton just along from The Village. A bit of a jacked up version of Comptons but without the sense of..how can i put this... desperation?

As for clubs, well you have GAY (it's now called something else: look in QX magazine when you arrive). Enjoy it while you can, the building is being demolished in a couple of years to make way for a new Tube station.

You also have Lo Profile (as mentioned), Shadow Lounge (next door to the Brewer St entrance of The Village) in Soho, and a whole plethora of options in Vauxhall. For the latter, you'll fit right in if you prefer to dance with your t-shirt round your waist while being off your head on ex

As you'll probably know all of these venues are rammed to the rafters at weekends. Old Compton Street has to be seen to be believed on Saturday evenings!!

Enjoy
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
May I add The Yard on Rupert Street to the list?

It's got a very chilled out and laid-back atmosphere and has the benefit of open air (not always a good thing in London though ).

I'll second The Village. They have go-go dancers on Fridays and Saturdays, and the upstairs part is very, very chilled out. You can actually have a conversation up there.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:28 am

I too love BarCode! and Rupert Street!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ajax
May I add The Yard on Rupert Street to the list?
I'll second Yard Bar. Only thing to remember is it closes early - around 1130 when folks move on if they're looking for something later....
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:10 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
I"ll add my vote for BarCode, Rupert St. ,Duke of Wellington & The Box.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'll third (or fourth or whatever) Rupert Street. It's a bit like Roscoe's in Chicago, located in the heart of the action.

Oh', yeah, and Barcode - keep your eyes open and you won't miss the entrance. Fun place, friendly crowd.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:14 am

Interesting, I used to spend a lot of time at Barcode when I was younger () but it never seemed to rank highly on my radar. I don't know why. It's kind of tucked away down that side street (which is quite nice). The crowd is much less pretentious than most Soho gay haunts (like Rupert St for one) and tends to be a *little bit* on the rougher side.

I haven't been in about three years. Has it been refurbished? What's it look like now?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I see lots of fun bars listed but if you are wanting a place like G-A-Y to dance then it is basically still there just under another name OMO. It is fabulous and still awesome music!! I loved Heaven but I heard last weekend that it got bought out by the former owners of G-A-Y (probably just a rumor because I could not verify it from their website).

My review of London gay clubs from August.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Vip4me
I see lots of fun bars listed but if you are wanting a place like G-A-Y to dance then it is basically still there just under another name OMO. It is fabulous and still awesome music!! I loved Heaven but I heard last weekend that it got bought out by the former owners of G-A-Y (probably just a rumor because I could not verify it from their website).
Good God those G-A-Y people own everything! I heard they also took over ownership of the Green on Upper Street in N1 (great place, by the way).
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
For me its Barcode ( both Soho and VH) for pubbing.

And Megawoof and S.L.A.G.S. Chill-out @Royal Vauxhall tavern
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Good God those G-A-Y people own everything! I heard they also took over ownership of the Green on Upper Street in N1 (great place, by the way).
No, it's the Edge that has taken over the Green, which is my local (that would be about 2 or 3 times a week). As far as I know there's still no confirmation that G-A-Y has taken over Heaven, although it's been rumoured for many months.

West End is the Box for the eye-candy, Rupert St or The Yard for location, and the Welly for cheap booze and a fun crowd. Been to Barcode a few times but never clicked with it - guess I should give it another try after its refurb.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Morland
West End is the Box for the eye-candy, Rupert St or The Yard for location, and the Welly for cheap booze and a fun crowd. Been to Barcode a few times but never clicked with it - guess I should give it another try after its refurb.
I completely forgot about the Box (had to google it to jog my memory ) but from what I recall from when I was young and irresponsible it's decent. It's a bit off the well-beaten path of Old Compton Street, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, the Box definitely gets a ^

I quite liked going to Sanctuary on Greek St when it opened back in 2003 - they had a truly camp piano hour upstairs. In or around spring 2005 it changed to Element, and I walked past the other day and noticed it was called something different again.

Does anyone know about its newest incarnation? What's it like? Is it any good?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:40 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I quite liked going to Sanctuary on Greek St when it opened back in 2003 - they had a truly camp piano hour upstairs. In or around spring 2005 it changed to Element, and I walked past the other day and noticed it was called something different again.

Does anyone know about its newest incarnation? What's it like? Is it any good?
It's now the Green Carnation and hosts soirees with gay authors etc. I've only been in early on a Sat night a couple of times when it's been very quiet.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Morland
It's now the Green Carnation and hosts soirees with gay authors etc. I've only been in early on a Sat night a couple of times when it's been very quiet.
Wow - sounds rather interesting. I always wondered why Sanctuary wasn't able to make money, they were packed out for a good year after opening. It's a good space if used correctly. Quite lush decor too IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.