Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GayCities Website

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Advice on gay travel forums

I run a website called GayCities (a gay city/travel guide) and I'm working to add forums to the site. I've always loved the discussions that take place here (on all sorts of topics) and I'd love to create just such an environment for my users (and maybe even some of you).

Now here's where I need some advice. I'm setting up the forums and creating the top-level categories. What do you all think would be good categories / discussion topics that you'd like to see in a Gay Travel forum. The more advice the better, it'll help me craft it just right...

--scott
Old May 4, 2008, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Hmmm...I'd break it down by destinations, and then special interest sections (cruises, etc). And of course don't charge people to access the forums. I think there is something of a lack of forums out there on gay travel.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks oenophilist, good advice. any thoughts on what the special interest categories should be? (I've already got cruises)

And for the record, the forums will be free.

I'd love to hear from others too!
Old May 4, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
We'll, you've got people that travel for all different types of reasons. Business Travel, Sightseeing, Budget Travel, Luxury Escapes could all be special interest types. Alternately or additionally, you could cover the friskier side of traveling but realize that some discussions will unintentionally devolve to that anyway without specific categories -- you just have to decide what you're targeting.
Old May 4, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'd agree that perhaps a divising by destination, type of travel, or special interest (pride calendar, sporting events, rodeo, leather, etc) would be good. And I echo the budget travel forum. Contrary to what some marketers and gay travel operators assume, not ALL of us have wads of disposable income.
Old May 5, 2008, 2:12 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by 98103
I'd agree that perhaps a divising by destination, type of travel, or special interest (pride calendar, sporting events, rodeo, leather, etc) would be good. And I echo the budget travel forum. Contrary to what some marketers and gay travel operators assume, not ALL of us have wads of disposable income.
Amen. Furthermore, something geared towards younger (i.e. college students) who would love to get away would be fantastic.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:26 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
GayCities Website

The Travel section of the July 20 NY Times includes a brief feature on GayCities, a website about, well, you know. I usually evaluate these sites by looking up places I already know, and overall, I'd agree with most of these reviews. Check it out.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:56 am

Seems to be very North America based. European destinations aren't on there, but this is handy for stateside stuff, canada, mexico.

Oh nighttours....
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
I see that my earlier posting has been merged with the original posting of the founder of GayCity. I could quibble that they're really not the same, since the first one was asking for suggestions and mine was a quick evaluation of the new site. Nevertheless, I think this will prove to be an extremely useful site as long as posters maintain some degree of objectivity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.