Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, Hilton, Marriott
Mendocino, California!

Direct flight from PHL to SFO and about a 3 hour beautiful drive north.

Will be cool and comfortable temperature and the sunsets will be awesome.

Rent a vacation home on the ocean - you only have to leave to enjoy the wonderful town. And, it is northern California, so you'll be totally accepted.

Mendocino is guaranteed R&R.

(If the drive out of SFO seems too long, you can always do the Sonoma coast near Jenner.)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by DesertDave
Mendocino is guaranteed R&R.

(If the drive out of SFO seems too long, you can always do the Sonoma coast near Jenner.)
I second this as a suggestion. You can be near the ocean, but there's not a lot of temptation to sunbathe as it might be a little cool. A friend rents houses at the Sea Ranch when he's up there. There's lots of options though. Wow, thinking about this, I wanna go myself!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Maine would be a nice option in summer. You could fly direct on either USAir or WN to Manchester, then its less than one hour to the Maine Border, very easy drive. Also, once you reach the Maine border there is very good outlet shopping you can do along the way.

Another cute town with a big gay population for its size, but not over bearing, is Columbus, OH. Although, I think 2-3 days would be the max for that locale. A second Laguna Beach area and possibly think about MSP for a few days could be nice, again to escape the hot PHL summer.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
Based on your criteria, my mountain hometown of Asheville, NC would seem to fit your needs. There's no nonstop from PHL, but CLT is an easy interstate 2-hour drive.

Cooler weather, mountain-fresh air, do-all or nothing, very gay friendly, increasing number of older gay couples settle here. Not much nightlife in the traditional big-city sense, but good restaurants abound.
My partner and I recently visited and found a really nice gay owned/operated B&B:

http://www.whitegate.net/

It was within walking distance to downtown and the rooms were really great. Asheville was amazing, I would also highly recommend it.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:52 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Well, I just posted this in another thread but the Half Moon Bay Ritz-Carlton is fab. Yes I am a bit prejudiced, having opened it a few years ago, but it has really blossomed, I think. A short drive from SFO and within a short drive to lots of things to do. Plus the oddball (and I lived there so please don't flame me) town of Half Moon Bay has some offbeat places to eat and shop. PM me if you need suggestions.

Also, I know this is sort of obvious, but what about Key West? I generally hate the str8 drunk frat boys and sorority girls there but this is off-season and the island is so far out in the water that it is still balmy weather! But can you fly there non-stop?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
This totally does not fit your requirments, however, for the benefit of those seeking something really unique and blissful try Muscat, Oman for a true authentic Arabian calm friendly and very safe destination. It's less than an hour flying from the overhyped zoo that is Dubai. I always stay at the Chedi.

Ahhhhh how I wish I was there.

http://www.ghmhotels.com/

CJ
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I have been to some of the places suggested and would definitely consider a revisit to any of them. Others are on my "to do" list. Looks like I've got some research to do...will have to see what I can pull together over the next few days in terms of availablity and try to make a decision.
How about stockholm - very gay friendly (hosting this year's Europride: http://www.stockholmpride.org/en/) - not too hot, and with non-stop US flights PHL-ARN. ?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
For relaxing, Rochester could be an option. Very friendly town... can visit George Eastman House... you could then go up to Niagara Falls... or the Finger Lakes to just relax. you could also hit Turning Stone if you want to gamble....

Just a thought.
Rochester! Are you crazy? I'm from that part of the world. No, it is not terrible, but certainly something that I would not drive five minutes to see. If you like Rochester, maybe you would like the empty industrial plants in Buffalo. Or the main street that used to have six department stores, and now can't keep a Wendy's open.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: QF, SQ
fly to Gatwick. Check into a nice hotel here in Brighton. Relax and chill down here on the South Coast. Take in a day of shopping with a trip to the Theatre in London before heading back down to Brighton...

Or - Take a walk along the South Downs with some of Britains most impressive Coastal scenery and cliffs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.