Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?

Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:16 am
Original Poster

OK, tired of thinking about where to go so rather than just staying home I'll see if any of you have some suggestions for a vacation in July.

I'm 38, my partner is 45. We've traveled a lot over the last 15 years and now we're a bit burned out with travel planning (well, mostly I am...but I attribute that to the fact I work as an airline manager and spend 50 hours a week on the front lines dealing with other people's travel drama, cranky crews, broken planes, etc.).

It takes a lot for me to get on a plane now, since airport=work and work=stress.

My preferred criteria:
- nonstop flight (from PHL) or max 6 hours drive
- not overly hot (for reference, I only enjoy the beach at sunset)
- someplace where I can do nothing without feeling guilty, but have the option for some sightseeing if the mood strikes
- gay or at least gay friendly enough that we won't feel out of place
- late nights and crowded clubs are a thing of the past (burned out on those, too) - however a nice bar or restaurant to patronize is fine

I've thought about upstate NY, Cape Cod, Quebec, Nova Scotia...not really considering "cities" per se since I'll feel compelled to take in all the sights.

So folks, any suggestions for a great low-key destination where I can recharge for a week?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:21 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
For relaxing, Rochester could be an option. Very friendly town... can visit George Eastman House... you could then go up to Niagara Falls... or the Finger Lakes to just relax. you could also hit Turning Stone if you want to gamble....

Just a thought.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Recharge in the mountains

Originally Posted by PHLFlyer
...So folks, any suggestions for a great low-key destination where I can recharge for a week?
Based on your criteria, my mountain hometown of Asheville, NC would seem to fit your needs. There's no nonstop from PHL, but CLT is an easy interstate 2-hour drive.

Cooler weather, mountain-fresh air, do-all or nothing, very gay friendly, increasing number of older gay couples settle here. Not much nightlife in the traditional big-city sense, but good restaurants abound.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Not sure if you are willing to fly out to California but if that works I would recommend spending a couple of days in the Laguna Beach area. We starting including Laguna Beach in our yearly trip out to California and Palm Springs several years ago. The area is amazing and there are a lot of options either in Laguna or within a short driving distance that offer nice sightseeing, great shopping, art galleries, excellent restaurants, etc.

We usually stay at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel and the place is amazing! The views of the beach from the ocean view rooms cannot be beat and if you enjoy evening sunsets then this is the place to stay. Staff has always been overly friendly and we have never had any issues with attitude toward our lifestyle either at the hotel or anywhere in the area. Location is great for walking on the beach or just relaxing by the pool or on your balcony. We have also tried the St. Regis but didn't like it as much due to its distance from the beach. If money is no object I would also check out the Montage which is supposed to be one of the best hotels in the country. Other options which we have looked at are the Surf and Sand
Resort and the Casa Laguna Inn.

There used to be a couple of small gay bar options directly in Laguna but I am not sure if they are still open. I think the place right on the water that also had an attached restaurant closed recently. (can't remember the name)

Getting to Laguna is easiest via SNA airport but it is also only a short drive from Long Beach Airport and not too far from LAX. We have flown into LAX a couple of times but prefer SNA because it is such a nice small airport.

All I can say is that our time spent at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel has to be some of the most relaxing vacation time we have ever spent. If you get too bored there is always something you can do but if you just want to lay on your buff then that works too! Weather should be perfect at that time of year.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 26, 2008 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
How about a nice relaxing cruise? Cruises leave from NY/Philly and other nearby ports to Bermuda or Canada/New England. There are even gay group cruises such as with Pied Piper and others. You can opt to lounge around on the ship or go into port.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I've never been there, but I hear Montreal is very nice.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
I second the cruise suggestion. No airports involved, so that should keep the stress down. Depending on the cruise line, there can be a lot of activities offered. But at the same time, no one will care if all you want to do is just lounge around and chill.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'd say Cape Cod (not necessarily P-town, but a close-by town) or Quebec.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
deleted, just noticed your not-so-warm comment.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'll toss in a suggestion of Lake Champlain around Burlington, VT and upstate NY.

or.... if you're willing to do the plane thing...Vancouver. Good this time of the year, moderate temperature, plenty of good food, easy drive to a more remote area should you wish.

and I think you've got a nonstop from there. Big drawback is cruise season, so hotel$ may be an i$$ue.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Two suggestions, 1. Russian River about 65 miles north of San Fran in the Sonoma Valley. Has been a long time glbt resort. A bit of everything, but pretty laid back. 2. Ogunquit, ME about 65 miles north of Boston or you can fly into Manchester NH Airport or Portland Jet Port. Or you could even take the train to Boston and transfer to the Downeaster that stops in Wells, one town north of Ogunquit and take a taxi from the station into the village. July in Maine is pretty nice and lots of gay friendly and owned B&B's, restaurants and even a bit of culture

Sam
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vancouver, BC satisfies all of your requirements (assuming there's a non-stop from PHL) and Victoria / Vancouver Island would satisfy all but the non-stop flight requirement. Vancouver is an amazing city.

Oops - I just noticed that you are not considering cities. In that case, fly to Vancouver, take the ferry over to Vancouver Island and then drive to Tofino. It's the beach but the high temp in July is not much more than 70.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I have been to some of the places suggested and would definitely consider a revisit to any of them. Others are on my "to do" list. Looks like I've got some research to do...will have to see what I can pull together over the next few days in terms of availablity and try to make a decision.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Berkshires

I know you have gotten a lot of suggestions, already, but I would recommend the Berkshires. Perhaps somewhere in the Pittsfield area.

I went a weekend there last summer and it was fantastic. It is very scenic, relaxing, some fantastic old homes and history, and while it is rural, has many sophisticated restaurants, cafes and galleries. Like a cross between Bucks County and the Hamptons.

There are no LGBT bars per se or much of a bar scene whatsoever, but you will feel very comfortable going out there with your partner.

Just stay away from Tanglewood season, which can get crazy.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I was also going to suggest Vancouver and someone beat me to it. Very mild summer, manageable city, extremely clean and friendly, high quality restaurants, good shopping, etc. Furthermore, there are some good day trip or add ons, particularly Victoria and Whistler, both of which have plenty of activities and are also relaxing.

I also love Montreal, but you may wish to explore other areas of Quebec for a more pastoral vacation. This summer is the 400th anniversary of Quebec City and there are lots of cultural activities going on all year long: http://monquebec2008.sympatico.msn.c...08/?lang=en-ca

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.