Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Gayla II 9/12-14 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:02 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
OK, I think I'm in for this one!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Woohoo!

I'm working on Friday night/Sunday brunch options at present. What I'm really waiting to find out is about entertainment options - that's dependent on who is performing.

I'll probably start to have substantive information for people on exact schedule and payment around four-six weeks before the date. If you have any questions, just ask.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Since I don't know where I'll be, it'll be difficult. So, I probably won't make it this year. Last year was so much fun too, so it sucks that I'll miss out.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:58 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
I am always looking for an excuse to head up to NYC. The last Gayla conflicted with my travel.

Put me down for a 50/50 chance of making it. I'll know for sure around, oh, the week of. :-)
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Holy Cow. Only 8 weeks folks.

I'm working on stuff. If anyone remembers the beloved and odd Wau Wau Sisters, they are performing on Sunday, September 14th - a late 10 pm show - so if you love their weirdness (and who doesn't love Brandon in cowgirl drag doing aerial tricks after the lesbian acrobatic stigmata act?) stay over Sunday night.

One warning - hotel prices don't look good - Hotwire is showing Manhattan starting at $250+ night for opaque bidding - which sucks. I'll keep looking, but if you've got the points for an award stay, consider it.

Pineapple!

Last edited by FlyBalletGuy; Jul 12, 2008 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
We're Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon, so we're good for anything.

I'd forgotten to book the hotel with everything else we've been doing, but your note prompted me to look. Right now I've got the Doubletree Metropolitan at 52d and Lex for about ~300/night all-in under a cancelable AAA rate. I'd guess that's pretty close to the Hotwire rate after taxes are added. Our SPG Cash and Points hotel from last year is not only not available for C&P, it's not available at all.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
NYC Hotels

FWIW - As somebody who likes to stay over in Manhattan a couple of times a month, I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive accomodation. It doesn't exist. A couple of thoughts: The New Your Times NY Travel Guide offers suggestions in all price ranges and includes reader recommendations for places you might not have thought of - The Times Square Econo Lodge, Pod Hotel, etc.

I've also heard of the Citiview Guest House , a gay guesthouse in Long Island City. 10 min to Grand Central/Times Square, 1 stop to midtown, 15 min to the Village & Chelsea. Would appreciate a report if anyone has stayed there.

Finally, the 4* Millenium Hilton in Lower Manhattan is going for about $165 on Priceline. It would be next to impossible to do better than that.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Arghhhhhhh-none of the starwood hotels have cash and points available and the only thing in my budget is the Sheraton suites across the hudson.
Would this work?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Arghhhhhhh-none of the starwood hotels have cash and points available and the only thing in my budget is the Sheraton suites across the hudson.
Would this work?
I'm crossing my fingers that Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village - will really be opening August 31, 2008... and have grand opening rates or C&P.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for good rates and will post anything I see. In the interim, if you're even contemplating joining us, please grab a cancelable rate somewhere, either a hotel website, quikbook or booking.com (both those sites offer cashback - booking.com's is 12% through shopathome. PM me for more info if you need it)

At this point can I start getting a clearer head count about who's thinking of coming so I can talk numbers with restaurants and events? Post to the thread or PM me.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:17 am
Original Poster

BGIP - It should be relatively simple to get back to the Sheraton during the daytime (albeit expensive if you use the ferry) - but the ferry stops running at 1 am on weekends, so it depends on how late you wish to stay out - there is also the bus from the port authority which should run 24 hours, but it's kind of dicey there after midnight. You may be better off somewhere that connects to the subway as it runs 24 hours, or PATH (although I think the subway is more frequent late at night)
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:54 pm

flights and hotel BOOKED.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

WOOHOO! (and happy belated birthday!)
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Just confirming that I'll be there. I can be the repository for lost underwear if necessary. After 30 days it's $5 if clean, or $50 if dirty....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:42 pm

I'll be back in NYC so I might attend as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.