Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Montreal Mini-Do dinners May 22 and May 24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal Mini-Do dinners May 22 and May 24

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by nroscoe
Assuming they give receipts! BTW, how does one tip the "interpretive dancers" in Canada? Their version of the dollar, the Loonie is a coin which I'd imagine presents all sorts of logistical issues...

Just curious.
The last time I was at the entertainments, I noticed that a few die-hard dance fans were tipping $20 and more per dancer. I felt that between the cover charge (about $4) and the drinks charges (service was excellent) that I would just sit back and enjoy the show. More thorough interpretations are quite expensive, IIRC $20 per song, and performed in a private atelier.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Now-before I get flamed this is strictly from first hand experience-but of a very limited portion of the population-
Locals who go to these type of establishments do not tip the performers in the traditional way-and you will be a well hated Yank if you tip this way(at least with the locals)the traditional way of showing your appriciation is to adjourn to a semi-private cubical where you can discuss the boys plans and dreams for the future.Inspirational mood music is played during these conferences and you are encouraged to assist in the boys future plans by donating $10-$20 cad per inspirational hymn.

Of course the dancers do not mind one bit if you tip during their interpitive dance musings-and I often do buy the next Mark Morris a drink.-But the young men are keen to share their vision of the future with you-and you will be strongly urged to join them in a more private atmosphere.

Rest assured that all that wish to join me for such an afternoon or evening of outreach will be well guided under my veteren tutalidge.
"One Grecian urn,,,Two Grecian Urns,,,,,,"
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Derek
You are threatening Montreal pride? Should I inform the Suret?
LOL thats what happens when you are typing at work while trying to actually do what I am paid to do

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Travis is a cutie-and with his beautiful smile I doubt anyone would find him a threat(except to their heartstrings)
aww you are so sweet!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Hmmm, sounds like the Pub is going to be cheaper, and probably much warmer.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Trust-the "Pub"is a mere shadow of the joys that can be found at some of the clubs on St.Catherine.
It cost nothing to look.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Two dinners decided!

Thursday 5/22 Au Petite Extra

Saturday 5/24 Pied Du Couchon

Please private me ASAP if you are interested in joining us.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I've been holding off posting since my schedule is in constant flux these days. I can now say with about 90% certainty that I'll be able to join you. I'll be arriving Friday morning and leaving Sunday afternoon.

So. Excited.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:12 pm

bon apptit. i wish i could join you.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Thursday 5/22 Au Petite Extra

Saturday 5/24 Pied Du Couchon

Please private me ASAP if you are interested in joining us.
Welllllll-there has been a change
Dinner at PDC will be on SUNDAY at 9:30-If you would like to join us I need a PM by Saturday afternoon.

Dinner Last night was fantastic-the company and the meal superb!
Old May 27, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

So Much Fun!

Well we had a lovely weekend filled with culture.
There was an international dance conference in town and so we had to attend many dance recitals.Very inspirational!
We had some very nice meals,(and a couple of not so spectacular-sorry guys)
And some nice walks.As well as much comeraderie.
We very well might make this a regular thing-but maybe not on a holiday weekend.
My thanks to
a330marcus-and his very charming +1
Nroscoe-thanks for putting up with me
stratofortress=it was so nice spending time getting to know you.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
glad you guys had fun!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:20 pm

Partner and myself will be in Montreal from July 2 - July 6. Anyone update on these suggested places to eat ? Anyone going that weekend ?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

What type of food are you looking for? Have you been to Montreal before?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:57 pm

Great weekend to be in Montreal. Canada Day is July 1, so everyone has a long weekend, both Canadians (Friday) and Americans (Monday). The Jazz Festival will be in full swing and there are lots of great neighbourhood and music events elsewhere in the city. You are not going to go hungry. Probably best to check out Yelp! or other online references to get up to date ideas of great places that serve the food you're hungering for in the locations where you'll be hanging out. Happy to answer any specific questions.

We haven't planned that far, so I don't know if we'll be in Montreal that weekend. Likely not but you never know...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

ba739 I do hope you have made hotel reservations!
here is a thread in the Canada forum about restaurants(I recommended a few of my favorites) a few of these are near The Gay Village(Au Petite Extra, Le Grain du Sel) but not really in it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...al-dining.html

A few places in the village proper that I like are;
1) O' Thym
2)kitchenette
3) Chez Cora for Breakfast.Not the best breakfast you will ever have a It is part of a chain but the one in the village is a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.