Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Montreal Mini-Do dinners May 22 and May 24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

A few of us are going to be in Montreal over Memorial day weekend.
I am planning a dinner at Au Petite Extra for Thursday 5/22 @ 8
And Dinnerat Pied du couchon saturday 5/24-time will depend upon when we can get a reservation.
PLEASE- if you would like to join us let me know ASAP especially for Saturday night as this is a hard reservation to get.

There will be some trips to the village,,,but nothing binding
Can this post be any more vague?
Just fishing really.
anyone else?anyone?
Pied Du Couchon is a fabulous and "different"type of bistro-not a gay place but in the Plateau(not to far from the village)

Right now it looks like it will be
Bigguyinpasadena+1
Nroscoe
A330Marcus
A couple more FT'ers are maybes

Thanks to FlyBalletGuy and Robb for helping to edit/update this info

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; May 14, 2008 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
just fishing?

Don't we have some FT'ers based in YUL? Might even work for an airline... might even be GLBT?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Wellllll-of course I could name names-just seems so you know-palm springs

The tone of the post reflects how I have been feeling lately-I just want to sleep Not blue-just blah.And I caught a little something in BCN(get your minds out of the gutter-I always catch a bug on long distance trips)and it is taking its time leaving my system.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:44 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Hope you get better soon BigGuy!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
this sounds like a DO!

*runs*

Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
Hey, five of my best friends and I are going to Montreal at the end of June for my birthday. I was thinking we'd have my birthday dinner at Au pied du cochon but we have a vegetarian with us. Does anyone know if he'll be catered to?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:11 am
Original Poster

There are a couple of vegie offerings-but the best stuff really relies on pork/pork fat/seafood.
One of the best dishes I have ever had was fresh fiddleheads and escagot in a light broth with an exotic mushroom,Sounds simple-but it was great.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wireless
this sounds like a DO!

*runs*

This is why I was rather ambigous in the OP.
I really don't want it to be though of as a formal "do"since we know which resto we want to go to-and it will not be to everyones taste or budget.And since our friend and Fellow flyertalker who lived in Montreal is going to be very busy that weekend It would not be fair to hoist hosting duties upon his shoulders(unless he wants this chore on top of his packed weekend),so that is why I am keeping it loose.

However-Wireless please be assured that I have some entertainment plans with you in mind and can guarantee a good time.

*just remember to stock up at the duty free on your way into Montreal
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:59 am
Original Poster

A fat man who loves food and likes to look at hot guys goes to Montreal

How is that for a "do" title ????
I will be visiting various food spots throughout the city.
Many of these places are "happy spots"for me.
Y'all are welcome to tag along
Marche Jean Talon,Schwartz'es,Frite Alore, the place a330Marcus recomends for poutine.Some great bakeries ,Au petite Extra,and the above mentioned APdC.
To satisfy the other intersrst there will be (many)trips to some of the "unique"bars in the village that I frequent.
And some trips to Old Montreal and a museum or two.
This is all very loose and nothing formal is planned.

Not for the squeemish
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My God, reading your OP, I realize that I haven't been to Canada now for AGES! I should do this DO, but I can't commit right now, because I have a few other priorities on my plate that I need to arrange before doing something "fun".
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
And since our friend and Fellow flyertalker who lived in Montreal is going to be very busy that weekend
So the one weekend I actually plan to be home in Montreal, is the one weekend when I will be pretty much occupied during the daytime on both Saturday and Sunday. So, as bigguyinpasadena pointed out, I'll only be available in town during nights and evenings for the Memorial Day weekend. As much as I aspire to have even half the talent of previous DO organizers , I can only play part-time host for the majority of the weekend. (although I may be able to squeeze in a Friday or Monday off...) Perhaps we can call this a mini-practice-warmup-little-league-DO ?

Schedule wise, we can keep it very ad-hoc during the day (walking around the old port, shopping in the Plateau district, checking out art galleries or the many museums (here is my fav), hiking up Mont-Royal for a gorgeous view of the city, or just sipping on a cappuccino somewhere - it's a great walkable / public-transit-friendly city (once you actually get into the city center from the airport). For the evenings, I can actually meet up with you guys and set up dinner/drinks reservations for wherever...

So in the spirit of playing only part-time-host, I extend a warm welcome to y'all to Montréal. The weather should be great, the patios open, and the beverages flowing freely on our many outdoor bistros and cafés. Gimme a holler if I can be of any help to persuade ya to spend a weekend in la belle ville.

~marcus

PS - Shameless plug - for all you *A fanatics out there, AC has a great schedule into YUL...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Wireless
this sounds like a DO!

*runs*

runs to NO?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I just cannot figure if wireless is running away from this(pour quoi?)or if he is running fast as he can to embrace the concept of discovering new ways to have fun in an undiscovered locale?
Trust me on this-if you like NoLa you will love Montreal!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Au Pied de Cochon is astounding! (I think my body is still about 10% foie gras.) Highly recommended. For a meal that's less a shock to the system (and in a milieu where there isn't so much aerosolized grease in the air that they have to squeege it off the floors halfway through the night so the waiters don't slip and fall), try Chez l'Épicier in old Montréal (http://www.chezlepicier.com/). I had the best meal of my life there -- ran out of language to describe it since it was all so unlike anything I'd ever had before. Jean-François the sommelier added a lot too. The gayest thing about it was that it was recommended both by the fag hags at the eyewear salon and the FLAMING concierge at fabulous Hôtel St Paul (http://www.hotelstpaul.com/).

David

Last edited by IndyDavid; Apr 26, 2008 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you David-I have never eaten there-we must try it!
And Indy David-perhaps you would consider joining us?

A couple of places I like in Old Montreal,Le Club du chasse et pecheur-tough to find but a great concept by the former chef of Cube,
Stash-very good Eastern European food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.